Dr James Gavin
- 01202 966303
- jgavin at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer in Sport
- Dorset House D145, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I joined Bournemouth University in September 2014 as a Lecturer in Exercise Physiology. After completing my PhD titled: 'the effect of glycogen reduction on neuromuscular responses and recovery from unaccustomed, eccentric exercise' (University of Chichester/University of Southampton), I worked on a project examining the influence of exercise interventions and step height on the stair negotiation biomechanics of community-dwelling, older adults (Liverpool John Moores University).
Current academic interests focus on: i) stair negotiation as a physical exercise/rehabilitation intervention, ii) the influence of inspiratory muscle training on balance and functional mobility of older adults and, iii) research methods for students and practitioners.
- Gavin, J.P., Myers, S.D. and Willems, M.E., 2018. Cardiorespiratory and metabolic responses after exercise-induced muscle damage: The influence of lowered glycogen. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 58 (3), 332-340.
- Gavin, J.P., Immins, T. and Wainwright, T., 2017. Stair negotiation as a rehabilitation intervention for enhancing recovery following total hip and knee replacement surgery. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ORTHOPAEDIC AND TRAUMA NURSING, 25, 3-10.
- Gavin, J.P., Myers, S.D. and Willems, M.E.T., 2016. Effect of eccentric exercise with reduced muscle glycogen on plasma interleukin-6 and neuromuscular responses of musculus quadriceps femoris. J Appl Physiol (1985), 121 (1), 173-184.
- Gavin, J.P., Myers, S. and Willems, M.E.T., 2015. The Accumulative Effect of Concentric-Biased and Eccentric-Biased Exercise on Cardiorespiratory and Metabolic Responses to Subsequent Low-Intensity Exercise: A Preliminary Study. JOURNAL OF HUMAN KINETICS, 49 (1), 131-140.
- Gavin, J.P. and Coleman, I., 2015. Placement experience and learning motivations in Higher Education: a comparison between practical- and study-based programmes. Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education.
- Gavin, J.P., Myers, S.D. and Willems, M.E.T., 2015. Neuromuscular responses to mild-muscle damaging eccentric exercise in a low glycogen state. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 25 (1), 53-60.
- Gavin, Myers, S.D. and Willems, M.E.T., 2015. The effect of glycogen reduction on cardiorespiratory and metabolic responses during downhill running. European Journal of Applied Physiology.
- Gavin, J.P., Willems, M.E.T. and Myers, S.D., 2014. Reproducibility of lactate markers during 4 and 8 min stage incremental running: a pilot study. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport., 17 (6), 635-639.
- Gavin, J.P., Myers, S.D. and Willems, M.E.T., 2013. Physiological responses at various lactate markers for running at 4 and 8 minute treadmill increments. Sport Scientific and Practical Aspects: International Scientific Journal of Kinesiology, 10 (1), 5-14.
- Gavin, J.P. and Williams, A.G., 2010. No association of α-actinin-3 (ACTN3) and vitamin D receptor (VDR) genotypes with skeletal muscle phenotypes in young women. Sport Scientific and Practical Aspects, 7 (1), 5-11.
- Maganaris, C., Baltzopoulos, V., Jones, D., Di Guilio, I., Reeves, N., Gavin, J., Ewen, A., King, S. and Roys, M., 2018. Biomechanical constraints to stair negotiation. In: Walker, A., ed. The New Dynamics of Ageing.. University of Bristol: Policy Press, 277-306.
- Gavin, J., 2017. Functional sit-to-stand exercises evoke greater neuromuscular activation, than isometric bed exercises in community-dwelling, older adults. In: European Society for Movement Analysis in Adults and Children (ESMAC) 2017 Annual Meeting 4-9 September 2017 Trondheim, Norway. Elsevier BV.
- Gavin, J.P., Burgess, L.C. and Wainwright, T.W., 2017. NEUROMUSCULAR COMPARISON OF THE UPPER-LEG DURING ISOMETRIC BED EXERCISES AND FUNCTIONAL SIT-TO-STAND EXERCISES IN OLDER ADULTS. S391.
- Gavin, J., Immins, T. and Wainwright, T.W., 2016. Stair negotiation as a rehabilitation intervention for enhancing recovery following orthopaedic surgery: a systematic review. In: Research and Impact in Active Ageing Symposium 24-25 June 2016 University of Cumbria, Lancaster.
- Wainwright, T.W., Cooper, M. and Gavin, J., 2016. ELECTRICAL NERVE STIMULATION AFFECTS LOWER-LEG NEUROMUSCULAR ACTIVITY, BUT NOT BALANCE ABILITY, IN HEALTHY, OLDER ADULTS. In: 20th European Congress of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine 24-28 April 2016 Lisbon, Portugal.
- Gavin, J., Cooper, M. and Wainwright, T.W., 2016. ELECTRICAL NERVE STIMULATION FOR 20 MINUTES DOES NOT INDUCE NEUROMUSCULAR FATIGUE IN OLDER ADULTS, REGARDLESS OF LEG POSITION. In: 20th European Congress of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine 24-28 April 2016 Lisbon, Portugal.
- Gavin, J., Cooper, M. and Wainwright, T., 2016. KNEE JOINT ANGLE INFLUENCES GASTROCNEMIUS NEUROMUSCULAR ACTIVITY DURING GEKO ELECTROSTIMULATON IN HEALTHY, OLDER ADULTS: A PILOT STUDY. In: 20th European Congress of physical and Rehabilitation Medicine 24-28 April 2016 Lisbon, Portugal.
- Gavin, J.P., Reeves, N.D., Maganaris, C.N. and Baltzopolous, V., 2015. Exercise training in older people causes joint moment redistribution during stair descent. In: International Society of Biomechanics 12-15 July 2015 Glasgow.
- Gavin, J.P., Reeves, N.D., Maganaris, C.N. and Baltzopoulos, V., 2014. The effect of resistance exercise training on the postural stability of older adults descending stairs of different step heights. In: British Society for Research on Ageing Annual Scientific Meeting 7-9 July 2014 Liverpool.
- Willems, M.E.T., Gavin, J.P. and Myers, S.D., 2014. Effect of muscle-damaging eccentric exercise with reduced muscle glycogen on plasma interleukin-6 and neuromuscular responses. In: 19th ECSS Congress 2-5 July 2014 Amsterdam.
- Maganaris, C.N., Gavin, J.P., Reeves, N.D. and Baltzopoulos, V., 2014. The effect of resistance exercise training on the biomechanics of stair ascent in older people. In: 19th European College of Sport Science (ECSS) Congress 2-5 July 2014 Amsterdam. 562.
- Gavin, J.P., Myers, S.D. and Willems, M.E.T., 2013. Effect of glycogen reduction on cardiorespiratory responses during downhill running. In: BASES Annual Conference 3-5 September 2013 University of Central Lancashire.
- Gavin, J.P., Myers, S.D. and Willems, M.E.T., 2013. Effect of a pre-exercise glycogen reduction protocol on neuromuscular responses during maximal eccentric knee extensions. In: 18th ECSS Congress 26-29 June 2013 Barcelona.
- Gavin, J.P., Myers, S.D. and Willems, M.E.T., 2013. Effect of a pre-exercise glycogen reduction protocol on the recovery of neuromuscular function following mild exercise-induced muscle damage. In: 18th ECSS Congress 26-29 June 2013 Barcelona.
- Gavin, J.P., Myers, S.D. and Willems, M.E.T., 2012. Effect of eccentric contractions with a pre-exercise glycogen depletion protocol on metabolic responses during submaximal cycling. In: 17th ECSS Congress 4-7 July 2012 Bruges.
- Gavin, J.P., Myers, S.D. and Willems, M.E.T., 2012. Effect of stage duration on physiological responses at fixed and modelled plasma lactate markers during incremental treadmill running. In: 17th ECSS Congress 4-7 July 2012 Bruges.
- Gavin, J.P., Myers, S.D., Clements, R.E. and Willems, M.E.T., 2012. Reproducibility of speed at fixed and modelled lactate markers during treadmill running. In: The Biomedical Basis of Elite Performance 19-21 March 2012 London. The Physiological Society.
- Gavin, J.P. and Morse, C.I., 2008. The acute effects of static and dynamic stretching on passive torque, maximal voluntary contraction and range of motion in the plantarflexor muscle group. In: BASES Student Conference 2-4 April 2008 University of Bedfordshire.
- Maganaris, C.N., Baltzopoulos, V. and Gavin, J.P.C., 2014. Biomechanical and sensory constraints of step and stair negotiation in old age.. Sheffield: New Dynamics of Ageing Research Programme.
- Francesco Ferraro, 2019. Using trunk (torso) muscle training to improve the balance and functional mobility of older people: a feasibility study
Profile of Teaching PG
- Experimental Research Design: PGR Development - Doctoral College
Profile of Teaching UG
- Appiled Physiology (Year 4)
- Exercise Physiology (Year 2)
- Functional Anatomy (Year 1)
Upwardly Mobile: Why taking stairs can keep us fit, Executive Business Centre, 30 Mar 2016 more
The University of the Third Age
- NHS Research Ethics Committee (Hampshire A), Reviewer (2017-2022), http://www.hra.nhs.uk/news/rec/
- The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES), CPD Representative (Physiology and Nutrition) (2015-2017), http://www.bases.org.uk/Physiology-and-Nutrition
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Nuffield Research Placements (previously Nuffield Science Bursaries) provide over 1,000 students each year with the opportunity to work alongside professional scientists, technologists, engineers and mathematicians.
- Exercise science is relevant to both athletes, aiming to maximise performance for competition, and untrained, aiming to maintain functional fitness for day-to-day life. This interactive workshop will highlight the importance of exercise science in our lives by testing ‘the Six Pillars of Functional Fitness’, including mobility, strength and balance.
- STEM Ambassador
- Young Life Scientists Symposium (YLS), The influence of inspiratory muscle training on balance and functional mobility in healthy older adults, 25 Nov 2017, Derby
- Escape Pain Presentation- Matthew Low, 22 Nov 2017
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP) training, 25 Jul 2016
- PhD in Exercise Physiology (University of Southampton/ University of Chichester, 2013)
- MSc in Exercise Physiology (Manchester Metropolitan University, 2009)
- BSc (Hons) in Exercise and Sports Science (Manchester Metropolitan University, 2008)
- Level 1 ISAK Accredited Anthropometrist in Kinanthropometry (International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry (ISAK), 2010)
- PGCE in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (University of Chichester, 2013)
- BASES Accredited Sport and Exercise Scientist (The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES), 2015)
- Award for Academic Excellence (Manchester Metropolitan University, 2008)
- European Society for Movement analysis in Adults and Children (ESMAC), Member (2017-),
- Grants Academy, Member (2015-2016),
- Higher Education Academy (HEA), Fellow (2013-),
- The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES), Probationary Sport and Exercise Scientist (2010-),
- The Physiological Society, Member (2011-),