Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Following a Masters in Conservation Science, I contributed to research projects in Indonesia, the Turks and Caicos Islands and the UK, working with teams from Operation Wallacea, the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, and the Institute of Zoology.
I am now working towards my PhD under the supervision of Bournemouth University’s School of Applied Science’s Professor Adrian Newton, Dr Elena Cantarello and Dr Duncan Golicher. This research is undertaken in collaboration with Botanic Gardens Conservation International (BGCI), with Sara Oldfield, Secretary General BGCI as external supervisor.
Research project: Evaluating extinction risk and ecosystem services of the world's threatened timber tree species.
The global timber trade contributes nearly $500 billion to the world’s economy per annum, yet many of the benefits we gain from these species are still overlooked by current policy.
This research aims to address this knowledge gap by comprehensively assessing the risk to the world’s timber trees. It explores the ecosystem services they provide, and evaluates the likely negative impacts to human well-being that could result from the extinction of these trees.
The species assessments, carried out using the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species, will be used to produce a new biodiversity indicator in the form of the first Red List Index for timber trees. The Index will allow changes in extinction risk to be monitored over time, providing a valuable biodiversity indicator for conservation practitioners and policy-makers.
- Newton, A., Oldfield, S., Rivers, M., Mark, J., Schatz, G., Garavito, N.T., Cantarello, E., Golicher, D., Cayuela, L. and Miles, L., 2015. Towards a Global Tree Assessment. ORYX, 49 (3), 410-415.
- Mark, Newton, A., Oldfield, S. and Rivers, M., 2014. A Working List of Commercial Timber Tree Species. Botanic Gardens Conservation International.
- British Ecological Society, Mentor for undergraduates on BES summer school (2015-), http://www.britishecologicalsociety.org/learning-and-resources/career-development/summer-school/
- Postgraduate Researcher Representative, Life and Environmental Sciences Department Athena SWAN team
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Volunteer at Soapbox Science, Oxford 2016, assisting keynote speakers (including a BU academic) and engaging members of the public in speakers' research and science in general.
- An interactive stall explaining the soil ecosystem and the importance of healthy soils to human society. This stall was run at BU Festival of Learning family weekend in Bournemouth Gardens, as well as at two Festival of Learning 'On Tour' events: Bournemouth Natural Science Society & Dorset Wildlife Trust open day; and Christchurch Food Festival.
- Research presentation at BU Green Week, 2014
- MSc in Conservation Science (Imperial College London, 2012)
- BSc (Hons) in Biology with Science Communication (Royal Holloway, University of London, 2011)