Dr Karen Thompson
- 01202 961866
- kthompson at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Leadership Strategy and Organisations
- Dorset House D233, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
An experienced practitioner turned innovative academic, I am passionate about transforming project management practice and education through research. My research explores the creative, ethical and human dimensions of projects. Currently, I jointly lead development of the new concept of Responsible Project Management, using social learning to collaborate with practitioners and professional bodies, and I am keen to promote the UN’s 17 SDGs for better management decision-making in all types of organisations. As part of the research, we are using social learning in a HEFCE GCRF funded project to understand how stakeholder management can be improved in the project-scape of refugee camps, such as the Rohingya crisis in Bangladesh.
Before joining academia, I was responsible for ICT projects and strategy development in local government, financial services and the voluntary sector. Now I am an innovative academic, passionate about transforming project management practice and education through research... Curiosity about individual and organisational change inspired me to explore the intersection of project management, organisational learning and sustainable development.
At Bournemouth University, I am a member of the Environment and Threats Research Group, and the Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability Special Interest Research and Education Group. A Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, member of the Project Management Institute and in 2017 I won the Herbert Walton Award from the Association for Project Management for my research on social media in the practice of project management.more
- Nanthagopan, Y., Williams, N. and Thompson, K., 2019. Levels and interconnections of project success in development projects by Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs). International Journal of Managing Projects in Business, 12 (2), 487-511.
- Thompson, K.M. and Williams, N.L., 2018. A Guide to Responsible Project Management. Bournemouth: Bournemouth University.
- Thompson, K., 2016. Digital Technologies in Project Management. In: Digital Engagement 29 June 2016 Bournemouth University and online.
- Thompson, K., 2009. Between Two Worlds: Unpacking performance and learning. In: 4th Annual BMAF Conference 2009: Engaging Employers 28-29 April 2009 Cardiff.
- Thompson, K., 2005. Between Two Worlds: Use of reflection for assessing industry-collaborative student projects. In: 2nd Conference on Excellence in Learning and Teaching for Project Management 15-16 September 2005 Bournemouth University.
- Ginige, T., Butters, J., Ball, F., Thompson, K., Julius, S., Pearce, D., Caine, C. and Thackwray, C.. Harnessing Marine Renewable Energy from Poole Harbour: Case Study. In: COBRA 2012 - Construction, Building and Real Estate Research Conference of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. 10-13 September 2012 Las Vegas.
- Thompson, K., 2015. Perspectives on projects, project success and team work. Bournemouth University.
- Thompson, K.M., 2009. Project Management University Challenge. Available from: https://projectmanagementblog.wordpress.com/.
- Thompson, K., 2009. Managing projects for success: 5 Ways to success in the recession. Available from: https://projectmanagementblog.wordpress.com/.
- Thompson, K.. Sustainable Project Management: 5 Ways to make your project greener. Available from: https://projectmanagementblog.wordpress.com/.
- Thompson, K., 2017. A framework for using social media in the practice of project management. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, Faculty of Management.
- Thompson, K., 2017. Digital disruptors and digital connectors. Southampton: Association for Project Management Wessex branch. Unpublished.
- Thompson, K., 2016. Project Management Research: Digital Disruptors and Digital Connectors in Project Management. online: BURO. Published online.
Contribution to World Café, West Malling, 31 Jul 2019 more
Association for Project Management SE Branch Meeting
Advocate or Abrogate?, Málaga, Spain, 10 Jul 2019 more
23rd International Congress on Project Management and Engineering
What does extinction mean for Project Management?, London, 23 May 2019 more
PMI (UK Chapter) London Branch
Responsible Project Management, Bilbao, Spain, 22 Feb 2019 more
Responsible Project Management in the Age of Climate Change at Research and Education in Project Management 2019 Conference
- Creative Futures for Projects, Programmes and Portfolios (Economic and Social Research Council, 01 Jun 2018). Completed
- Developing Responsible Project Management in Bangladesh through Empirical Research and Social Learning (BU GCRF, 01 May 2018). In Progress
- Developing Competencies for Responsible Project Management (BU ECR, 12 Mar 2018). Completed
- Creative Classrooms (BU CEL, 01 Nov 2017). Completed
- Putting Socal Science into Project Management (Economic and Social Research Council, 03 Apr 2017). Completed
- Student competition to generate multi-purpose material promoting BU’s role is supporting businesses and developing employable graduates (BU Fusion Fund, 23 May 2014). Completed
- Renewable Energy: An integrated approach (BU Fusion Fund, 01 Dec 2011). Completed
- University of Hertfordshire, Validation Panel Member (2018-)
- Poole Tidal Energy Partnership, Director (2011-)
- University of Hertfordshire, External Examiner (2007-2011)
- Head of Education and Professional Practice, Department of Leadership, Strategy and Organisations
- Acting Head of Department, Department of Leadership, Strategy and Organisations
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Support for Project Management Development Programmes in Schools
- Presentation on Sustainability in the Curriculum
- Creative Futures for the Management of Projects, Programmes and Portfolios
- Organiser of project management event bringing together practitioners and researchers
- Presentation at meeting of APM Wessex branch
- Digital Engagement, Digital Technologies in Project Management, 29 Jun 2016, Bournemouth University - online conference and workshop
- Towards a Social Science of Web 2.0, Virtual Communities for Active Living, 05 Sep 2007, York, UK
- Communication and Society, 10th Anniversary Symposium of the Journal of Information, From Chalk to Cheese : a case study in the integration of e-learning within a traditional learning environment, 20 Sep 2006, York, UK
- Learning and Teaching, Mountains and Molehills: Exploring the benefits and concerns of e-learning., 10 May 2006, Bournemouth, UK
- Excellence in Learning and Teaching of Project Management (2nd conference), Between Two Worlds: Use of reflection for assessing industry-collaborative student projects, 16 Sep 2005, Bournemouth, UK
- PhD in Project management and social media (2017)
- MA in Academic Practice (Bournemouth University, 2005)
- BSc (Hons) in Computing (CNAA, 1982)
- Finalist, Sustainability Champion, Staff in UK and Ireland Green Gown Awards (EAUC, 2019)
- Herbert Walton Award (Association for Project Management, 2017)
- British Academy of Management, Member (2017-),
- BU Environment & Threats Strategic Research Group, Member (2017-),
- Project Management Institute (UK Chapter), Member (2017-),
- Bournemouth Digital Project Managers Meetup, Member (2016-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (-2005),