Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Acting Head of the Leadership, Strategy and Organisations Department in the Faculty of Management. My recent research explores the creative and ethical dimensions of projects and project management. I jointly lead a research team that is developing the concept of Responsible Project Management. As part of this work, we are using social learning in a HEFCE GCRF funded project to understand how stakeholder management can be improved in the project-scape of refugee camps, such as the Rohingya crisis in Bangladesh.
Before joining academia, I was responsible for ICT projects and strategy development in local government, financial services and the voluntary sector. Now I am an innovative academic, passionate about transforming project management practice and education through research. Curiosity about individual and organisational change inspired me to explore the intersection of project management, organisational learning and sustainable development.
At Bournemouth University, I am a member of the Environment and Threats Research Group, and the Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability Special Interest Research and Education Group... A Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, member of the Project Management Institute and in 2017 I won the Herbert Walton Award from the Association for Project Management for my research on social media in the practice of project management.more
- Nanthagopan, Y., Williams, N. and Thompson, K., 2018. Levels and interconnections of project success in development projects by Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs). International Journal of Managing Projects in Business.
- Thompson, K.M. and Williams, N.L., 2018. A Guide to Responsible Project Management. Bournemouth: Bournemouth University.
- Thompson, K., 2016. Digital Technologies in Project Management. In: Digital Engagement 29 June 2016 Bournemouth University and online.
- Thompson, K., 2009. Between Two Worlds: Unpacking performance and learning. In: 4th Annual BMAF Conference 2009: Engaging Employers 28-29 April 2009 Cardiff.
- Thompson, K., 2005. Between Two Worlds: Use of reflection for assessing industry-collaborative student projects. In: 2nd Conference on Excellence in Learning and Teaching for Project Management 15-16 September 2005 Bournemouth University.
- Ginige, T., Butters, J., Ball, F., Thompson, K., Julius, S., Pearce, D., Caine, C. and Thackwray, C.. Harnessing Marine Renewable Energy from Poole Harbour: Case Study. In: COBRA 2012 - Construction, Building and Real Estate Research Conference of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. 10-13 September 2012 Las Vegas.
- Thompson, K., 2015. Perspectives on projects, project success and team work. Bournemouth University.
- Thompson, K.M., 2009. Project Management University Challenge. Available from: https://projectmanagementblog.wordpress.com/.
- Thompson, K., 2009. Managing projects for success: 5 Ways to success in the recession. Available from: https://projectmanagementblog.wordpress.com/.
- Thompson, K.. Sustainable Project Management: 5 Ways to make your project greener. Available from: https://projectmanagementblog.wordpress.com/.
- Thompson, K., 2017. A framework for using social media in the practice of project management. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, Faculty of Management.
- Thompson, K., 2017. Digital disruptors and digital connectors. Southampton: Association for Project Management Wessex branch. Unpublished.
- Thompson, K., 2016. Project Management Research: Digital Disruptors and Digital Connectors in Project Management. online: BURO. Published online.
Responsible Project Management, Bilbao, Spain, 22 Feb 2019 more
Responsible Project Management in the Age of Climate Change at Research and Education in Project Management 2019 Conference
- Creative Futures for Projects, Programmes and Portfolios (Economic and Social Research Council, 01 Jun 2018). Completed
- Developing Responsible Project Management in Bangladesh through Empirical Research and Social Learning (BU GCRF, 01 May 2018). In Progress
- Developing Competencies for Responsible Project Management (BU ECR, 12 Mar 2018). Completed
- Creative Classrooms (BU CEL, 01 Nov 2017). Completed
- Putting Socal Science into Project Management (Economic and Social Research Council, 03 Apr 2017). Completed
- Student competition to generate multi-purpose material promoting BU’s role is supporting businesses and developing employable graduates (BU Fusion Fund, 23 May 2014). Completed
- Renewable Energy: An integrated approach (BU Fusion Fund, 01 Dec 2011). Completed
- Poole Tidal Energy Partnership, Director (2011-)
- University of Hertfordshire, External Examiner (2007-2011)
- Head of Education and Professional Practice, Department of Leadership, Strategy and Organisations
- Acting Head of Department, Department of Leadership, Strategy and Organisations
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Creative Futures for the Management of Projects, Programmes and Portfolios
- Organiser of project management event bringing together practitioners and researchers
- Presentation at meeting of APM Wessex branch
- Digital Engagement, Digital Technologies in Project Management, 29 Jun 2016, Bournemouth University - online conference and workshop
- Towards a Social Science of Web 2.0, Virtual Communities for Active Living, 05 Sep 2007, York, UK
- Communication and Society, 10th Anniversary Symposium of the Journal of Information, From Chalk to Cheese : a case study in the integration of e-learning within a traditional learning environment, 20 Sep 2006, York, UK
- Learning and Teaching, Mountains and Molehills: Exploring the benefits and concerns of e-learning., 10 May 2006, Bournemouth, UK
- Excellence in Learning and Teaching of Project Management (2nd conference), Between Two Worlds: Use of reflection for assessing industry-collaborative student projects, 16 Sep 2005, Bournemouth, UK
- MA in Academic Practice (Bournemouth University, 2005)
- BSc (Hons) in Computing (CNAA, 1982)
- PhD in Project management and social media (2017)
- Herbert Walton Award (Association for Project Management, 2017)
- Bournemouth Digital Project Managers Meetup, Member (2016-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (-2005),
- Project Management Institute (UK Chapter), Member (2017-),