Dr Lars Marstaller
- lmarstaller at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Technology for Behavioural Change
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I completed a M.A. in linguistics and philosophy at Humboldt University Berlin and a MSc in philosophy at University of Edinburgh while also working at the Berlin Brandenburg Academy of Sciences. I then moved to Australia to investigate co-speech gestures for my PhD in cognitive science from Macquarie University Sydney. After a postdoc at the Centre for Advanced Imaging at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, I was awarded a Marie Sklodowska-Curie Fellowship and moved to Wales to work at Swansea University. I have joined Bournemouth University in July 2020.
I am a cognitive neuroscientist with research interests in anxiety/fear, learning, and language. I use psychophysiology and multi-modal neuroimaging to investigate the interaction between emotion and cognition in clinical and healthy populations.
I am interested in affective computing, in particular digital methods to remotely measure heart rate and respiration with applications for biofeedback therapy and clinical assessment.
- Burianová, H., Marstaller, L., Rich, A.N., Williams, M.A., Savage, G., Ryan, M. and Sowman, P.F., 2020. Motor neuroplasticity: A MEG-fMRI study of motor imagery and execution in healthy ageing. Neuropsychologia, 146.
- Ramanan, S., Marstaller, L., Hodges, J.R., Piguet, O. and Irish, M., 2020. Understanding the neural basis of episodic amnesia in logopenic progressive aphasia: A multimodal neuroimaging study. Cortex, 125, 272-287.
- Marstaller, L., Fynes-Clinton, S., Burianová, H. and Reutens, D.C., 2020. Salience and default-mode network connectivity during threat and safety processing in older adults. Human Brain Mapping.
- Urriola, J., Bollmann, S., Tremayne, F., Burianová, H., Marstaller, L. and Reutens, D., 2020. Functional connectivity of the irritative zone identified by electrical source imaging, and EEG-correlated fMRI analyses. NeuroImage: Clinical, 28.
- Fynes-Clinton, S., Marstaller, L. and Burianová, H., 2019. Differentiation of functional networks during long-term memory retrieval in children and adolescents. NeuroImage, 191, 93-103.
- Marstaller, L., Fynes-Clinton, S., Burianová, H. and Reutens, D.C., 2018. Evidence for a functional specialization of ventral anterior temporal lobe for language. NeuroImage, 183, 800-810.
- Bollmann, S., Robinson, S.D., O'Brien, K., Vegh, V., Janke, A., Marstaller, L., Reutens, D. and Barth, M., 2018. The challenge of bias-free coil combination for quantitative susceptibility mapping at ultra-high field. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 79 (1), 97-107.
- Marstaller, L., Burianová, H. and Reutens, D.C., 2017. Adaptive contextualization: A new role for the default mode network in affective learning. Human Brain Mapping, 38 (2), 1082-1091.
- Marstaller, L., Burianová, H. and Reutens, D.C., 2016. Individual differences in structural and functional connectivity predict speed of emotion discrimination. Cortex, 85, 65-74.
- Marstaller, L., Burianová, H. and Reutens, D.C., 2016. Dynamic competition between large-scale functional networks differentiates fear conditioning and extinction in humans. NeuroImage, 134, 314-319.
- Burianova, H., Sowman, P.F., Marstaller, L., Rich, A.N., Williams, M.A., Savage, G., Al-Janabi, S., De Lissa, P. and Johnson, B.W., 2016. Adaptive Motor Imagery: A Multimodal Study of Immobilization-Induced Brain Plasticity. Cerebral Cortex, 26 (3), 1072-1080.
- Burianová, H., Marstaller, L., Choupan, J., Sepehrband, F., Ziaei, M. and Reutens, D., 2015. The relation of structural integrity and task-related functional connectivity in the aging brain. Neurobiology of Aging, 36 (10), 2830-2837.
- Marstaller, L., Williams, M., Rich, A., Savage, G. and Burianová, H., 2015. Aging and large-scale functional networks: White matter integrity, gray matter volume, and functional connectivity in the resting state. Neuroscience, 290, 369-378.
- Marstaller, L. and Burianová, H., 2015. A common functional neural network for overt production of speech and gesture. Neuroscience, 284, 29-41.
- Burianová, H., Rich, A.N., Williams, M., Morgan, M., Marstaller, L., Maruff, P., Baker, C.I. and Savage, G., 2015. Long-term plasticity in adult somatosensory cortex: functional reorganization after surgical removal of an arteriovenous malformation. Neurocase, 21 (5), 618-627.
- Marstaller, L., Burianová, H. and Sowman, P.F., 2014. High gamma oscillations in medial temporal lobe during overt production of speech and gestures. PLoS ONE, 9 (10).
- Marstaller, L. and Burianová, H., 2014. The multisensory perception of co-speech gestures - A review and meta-analysis of neuroimaging studies. Journal of Neurolinguistics, 30 (1), 69-77.
- Marstaller, L., Hintze, A. and Adami, C., 2013. The evolution of representation in simple cognitive networks. Neural Computation, 25 (8), 2079-2107.
- Marstaller, L. and Burianová, H., 2013. Individual differences in the gesture effect on working memory. Psychonomic Bulletin and Review, 20 (3), 496-500.
- Burianová, H., Marstaller, L., Sowman, P., Tesan, G., Rich, A.N., Williams, M., Savage, G. and Johnson, B.W., 2013. Multimodal functional imaging of motor imagery using a novel paradigm. NeuroImage, 71, 50-58.
- PhD in Cognitive Science (Macquarie University, Sydney, 2014)
- MSc by research (with distinction) in Philosophy (University of Edinburgh, 2009)
- M.A. in Linguistics and Philosophy (Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, 2007)
- Society for Neuroscience, Member,