Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a lecturer in Psychology in the Faculty of Science and Technology. Before joining BU in March 2018 as a Lecturer, I completed a PhD on non-heterosexual men's kink sexual practices at the University of Sunderland. I am member of the International Academy of Sex Researchers, the Centre for Positive Sexuality, and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I specialise in qualitative research, exploring the experiences of non-heterosexual individuals, using theories from psychology, sociology and cultural studies. My work focuses on the impact of the internet and the role of community participation for these individuals. I am currently developing a monograph looking at the experiences of non-heterosexual men who engage in kinky sexual practices with Oxford University Press.
I have conducted research into the kink activity of pup play, framing the socio-sexual activity as a form of leisure and documenting how the pup community have adopted social networking sites to form online communities. I have also published on the experiences of bisexual individuals and people with non-exclusive sexualities.
- Jaspal, R., Lopes, B., Wignall, L. and Bloxsom, C., 2021. Predicting sexual risk behavior in British and European Union university students in the United Kingdom. American Journal of Sexuality Education.
- Wignall, L., Stirling, J. and Scoats, R., 2021. UK University Students’ Perceptions and Negotiations of Sexual Consent. Psychology and Sexuality.
- Wignall, L., 2020. Beyond safe, sane, and consensual: Navigating risk and consent online for kinky gay and bisexual men. Journal of Positive Sexuality.
- Wignall, L. and Driscoll, H., 2020. Women's rationales and perspectives on "mostly" as a nonexclusive sexual identity label. Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity, 7 (3), 366-337.
- Wignall, L., Scoats, R., Anderson, E. and Morales, L., 2020. A qualitative study of heterosexual men’s attitudes toward and practices of receiving anal stimulation. Culture, Health and Sexuality, 22 (6), 675-689.
- Stirling, J.L., Hills, P.J. and Wignall, L., 2020. Narrative approach to understand people’s comprehension of acquaintance rape: The role of Sex Role Stereotyping. Psychology and Sexuality.
- Jaspal, R., Lopes, B. and Wignall, L., 2020. The Coping with Identity Threat Scale: Development and Validation in a University Student Sample. Identity, 20 (4), 225-238.
- Wignall, L., 2019. Pornography Use by Kinky Gay Men – A Qualitative Approach. Journal of Positive Sexuality.
- Wignall, L., 2017. The Sexual Use of a Social Networking Site: The Case of Pup Twitter. Sociological Research Online, 22 (3), 21-37.
- Wignall, L. and McCormack, M., 2017. An exploratory study of a new kink activity: pup play. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 46 (3), 801-811.
- McCormack, M., Wignall, L. and Morris, M., 2016. Gay guys using gay language: friendship, shared values and the intent-context-effect matrix. BRITISH JOURNAL OF SOCIOLOGY, 67 (4), 747-767.
- Wignall, L. and McCormack, M., 2016. Enjoyment, Exploration and Education: Understanding the Consumption of Pornography among Young Men with Non-Exclusive Sexual Orientations. Sociology (Sage), 51 (5), 975-991.
- Wignall, L., 2016. Playing on the Edge: Sadomasochism, Risk, and Intimacy. SEXUALITIES, 19 (1-2), 257-259.
- Wignall, L., McCormack, M. and Anderson, E., 2015. Identities and Identifications: Changes in Metropolitan Bisexual Men’s Attitudes and Experiences. Journal of Bisexuality, 15 (1), 3-20.
- Robin Jakumeit. BDSM Experiences
Profile of Teaching PG
- Advanced Research Methods
Profile of Teaching UG
- Experimental Methods and Statistical Analysis (EMSA 1b)
- Psychology of Sexualities
- Psychology of Social Media and Video Games
- Psychology Project
- Counselling Psychology
- Forensic Psychology
- Understanding the Experiences of Women with Non-Exclusive Sexualities (American Institute of Bisexuality, 01 Oct 2017). Awarded
- PhD in Media and Cultural Studies (University of Sunderland, 2018)
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology (University of Sunderland, 2014)
- Centre for Positive Sexuality, Research Affiliate (2019-), http://positivesexuality.org/
- Psychology of Sexualities, Committee Member (2019-), https://www.bps.org.uk/member-microsites/psychology-sexualities-section
- International Academy of Sex Researchers, Member (2017-2018),