Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a Senior Lecturer in Psychology in the Faculty of Science and Technology. Before joining BU in March 2018 as a Lecturer, I completed a PhD on non-heterosexual men's kink sexual practices at the University of Sunderland. I am member of the International Academy of Sex Researchers, the Centre for Positive Sexuality, the BPS Sexualities committee, and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. I am editor for the BPS Sexualities' journal "Psychology of Sexualities Review" and associate editor for "Psychology & Sexuality" and "Journal of Positive Sexuality".
I specialise in qualitative research, exploring the experiences of non-heterosexual individuals, using theories from psychology, sociology and cultural studies. My work focuses on the impact of the internet and the role of community participation for these individuals. I am currently developing a monograph looking at the experiences of non-heterosexual men who engage in kinky sexual practices with Oxford University Press.
I have conducted research into the kink activity of pup play, framing the socio-sexual activity as a form of leisure and documenting how the pup community have adopted social networking sites to form online communities. I have also published on the experiences of bisexual individuals and people with non-exclusive sexualities.
- Cascalheira, C.J., McCormack, M., Portch, E. and Wignall, L., 2021. Changes in Sexual Fantasy and Solitary Sexual Practice During Social Lockdown Among Young Adults in the UK. Sexual Medicine, 9 (3).
- McCormack, M., Measham, F. and Wignall, L., 2021. The Normalization of Leisure Sex and Recreational Drugs: Exploring Associations Between Polydrug Use and Sexual Practices by English Festival-Goers. Contemporary Drug Problems, 48 (2), 185-200.
- Jaspal, R., Lopes, B., Wignall, L. and Bloxsom, C., 2021. Predicting Sexual Risk Behavior in British and European Union University Students in the United Kingdom. American Journal of Sexuality Education, 16 (1), 140-159.
- Cascalheira, C.J., Thomson, A. and Wignall, L., 2021. ‘A certain evolution’: a phenomenological study of 24/7 BDSM and negotiating consent. Psychology and Sexuality.
- McCormack, M. and Wignall, L., 2021. Drag Performers’ Perspectives on the Mainstreaming of British Drag: Towards a Sociology of Contemporary Drag. Sociology.
- Wignall, L., Portch, E., McCormack, M., Owens, R., Cascalheira, C.J., Attard-Johnson, J. and Cole, T., 2021. Changes in Sexual Desire and Behaviors among UK Young Adults During Social Lockdown Due to COVID-19. Journal of Sex Research.
- Wignall, L. and Driscoll, H., 2020. Women's rationales and perspectives on "mostly" as a nonexclusive sexual identity label. Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity, 7 (3), 366-337.
- Wignall, L., 2020. Beyond safe, sane, and consensual: Navigating risk and consent online for kinky gay and bisexual men. Journal of Positive Sexuality.
- Wignall, L., Scoats, R., Anderson, E. and Morales, L., 2020. A qualitative study of heterosexual men’s attitudes toward and practices of receiving anal stimulation. Culture, Health and Sexuality, 22 (6), 675-689.
- Stirling, J.L., Hills, P.J. and Wignall, L., 2020. Narrative approach to understand people’s comprehension of acquaintance rape: The role of Sex Role Stereotyping. Psychology and Sexuality.
- Jaspal, R., Lopes, B. and Wignall, L., 2020. The Coping with Identity Threat Scale: Development and Validation in a University Student Sample. Identity, 20 (4), 225-238.
- Wignall, L., Stirling, J. and Scoats, R., 2020. UK university students’ perceptions and negotiations of sexual consent. Psychology and Sexuality.
- Wignall, L., 2019. Pornography Use by Kinky Gay Men – A Qualitative Approach. Journal of Positive Sexuality.
- McCormack, M. and Wignall, L., 2017. Enjoyment, Exploration and Education: Understanding the Consumption of Pornography among Young Men with Non-Exclusive Sexual Orientations. Sociology, 51 (5), 975-991.
- Wignall, L., 2017. The Sexual Use of a Social Networking Site: The Case of Pup Twitter. SOCIOLOGICAL RESEARCH ONLINE, 22 (3), 21-37.
- Wignall, L. and McCormack, M., 2017. An Exploratory Study of a New Kink Activity: "Pup Play". Arch Sex Behav, 46 (3), 801-811.
- McCormack, M., Wignall, L. and Morris, M., 2016. Gay guys using gay language: friendship, shared values and the intent-context-effect matrix. Br J Sociol, 67 (4), 747-767.
- Wignall, L., 2016. Playing on the Edge: Sadomasochism, Risk, and Intimacy. SEXUALITIES, 19 (1-2), 257-259.
- McCormack, M., Wignall, L. and Anderson, E., 2015. Identities and Identifications: Changes in Metropolitan Bisexual Men's Attitudes and Experiences. JOURNAL OF BISEXUALITY, 15 (1), 3-20.
- Robin Jakumeit. BDSM Experiences
Profile of Teaching PG
- Advanced Research Methods
Profile of Teaching UG
- Experimental Methods and Statistical Analysis (EMSA 1b)
- Psychology of Sexualities
- Psychology of Social Media and Video Games
- Psychology Project
- Counselling Psychology
- Forensic Psychology
- Understanding the Experiences of Women with Non-Exclusive Sexualities (American Institute of Bisexuality, 01 Oct 2017). Awarded
- Psychology and Sexuality, Anonymous peer review, 29 May 2018
- Culture, Health & Sexuality, Anonymous peer review, 24 Feb 2018
- Qualitative Sociology, Anonymous peer review, 30 Jun 2017
- Journal of Bisexuality, Anonymous peer review, 02 Apr 2017
- Sexualities: Studies in Culture and Society, Anonymous peer review, 31 Jan 2017
- PhD in Media and Cultural Studies (University of Sunderland, 2018)
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology (University of Sunderland, 2014)
- Centre for Positive Sexuality, Research Affiliate (2019-), http://positivesexuality.org/
- Psychology of Sexualities, Committee Member (2019-), https://www.bps.org.uk/member-microsites/psychology-sexualities-section
- International Academy of Sex Researchers, Member (2017-2018),