Dr Manhal Ali
- mali at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer in Operations Management (Business Analytics)
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am Lecturer in Business Analytics at the Bournemouth Business School and a visiting researcher at the University of Leeds. I am affiliated with the ESRC funded DIGIT research centre. Prior to this, I worked as Post Doctoral Researcher at the Oxford Department of International Development, University of Oxford.
I earned my PhD from the University of Manchester and MSc from the University of Bristol.
My research interests are in the areas of managerial and organisational economics applied to healthcare, firm performance, Digital Economy, and applied Data Science.
1. Delayed Discharges: Does Staff Well-Being Matter? medRxiv (with Reza Salehnejad)
1. Human Resource Management, Complementarity and Hospital Performance, revise & resubmit Oxford Economics Papers (with Reza Salehnejad and Peter Kawalek)
2. The Impact of Management Practices on Patient Safety: Evidence from Public Hospitals, under review with International Journal of Management Reviews (with Reza Salehnejad and Nathan Proudlove)
3. A Review of the Impact of Management Practices on Hospital Performance, revise & resubmit Health Services Management Research (with Reza Salehnejad and Nathan Proudlove)
Work in Progress:
1. Understanding Variations in Primary Care Service Satisfaction using Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning Approach (with Reza Salehnejad)
2. Healthcare Turnarounds: Do Management Interventions Last? (with Reza Salehnejad and Nathan Proudlove)
3.Improving Hospital Delayed Discharges: Understanding the role of IT. (with Reza Salehnejad)
4. Using Deep Learning to Predict Hospital Failures (with Reza Salehnejad and Nathan Proudlove)
5. What Explains Firm Productivity Dispersion in Developing Countries? The Case of Bangladeshi Garments Sector (with Christopher Woodruff)
6. Does Information Technology Management Matter? Randomised Experimental Evidence from Public Schools in Bangladesh (with Abu Sonchoy)
7. Microcredit Risk Assessment using Machine Learning (with Abu Sonchoy)
8. The Buck Stops Here! CEO Inside Debt (Compensation), Corporate Failure and Firm Policy (with Reza Salehnejad and Ronald Ramlogan)...
9. Sovereign Wealth Fund’s Investment Strategy (with Abdulaziz Alosaimi and Reza Salehnejad)
10. Does Technology Lead to Higher Occupational Mobility? A Quasi-Experimental Evidence using Understanding Society Data (with Danat Valizade)more
- Salehnejad, R., Ali, M. and Proudlove, N., 2019. Combining Regression Trees and Panel Regression for Exploring and Testing the Impact of Complementary Management Practices on Short-Notice Elective Operation Cancellation Rates. Health Systems.
- Ali, M., Salehnejad, R. and Mansur, M., 2019. Hospital Productivity: The Role of Efficiency Drivers. International Journal of Health Planning and Management, 34 (2), 806-823.
- Ali, M., 2017. Microeconometric Analysis on Determinants of Antenatal Care Utilization in Bangladesh: A Finite Mixture Modelling Approach. Indian Economic Journal, 60 (3), 91-107.
- Ali, M., Salehnejad, R. and Mansur, M., 2017. Hospital Heterogeneity: What Determines the Quality of Care? European Journal of Health Economics, 19 (3), 385-408.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Performance Management (MSc Management with Business Analytics)
- Business Intelligence (MSc Management with Business Analytics)
- Managing Organisation & Individual Performance (MBA)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Undergraduate Research Project (BSc Hons. Business Studies)
- Review of Hospital Management Practices (The Health Foundation, 01 Aug 2018). Awarded
- Data Science Foundation, Member,
- Royal Economic Society, Member,
- UK Health Data Analytics, Member,
- UK Health Economists Study Group, Member,