- 01202 966102
- mgray at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Head Of Department for Communication and Journalism
- Weymouth House W425, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Melanie Gray is a leader, educator and practice based researcher in the Creative Industries.
She is currently Head of Department for Communication & Journalism, an award winning and industry defining department within the Faculty of Media and Communication.
She has a particular interest in the Creative and media industry, aligning her research to providing advice and knowledge leadership to the Creative Industries. She has both led and has been part of team who have instigated academic research and knowledge exchange projects, winning several contract research projects with total worth of over £250k . She is an award winning educator, having been presented with several student awards for her teaching and successful inclusion of students in industry competitions. Her teaching focuses on Marketing Communications, Branding, and Strategic Marketing.
Dr Gray has demonstrable creative leadership experience from both HE and a variety of industries. She has vast experience in management and leadership of complex teams and stakeholders both internally and externally... Significant roles to date include being current Head of Department, Head of Education, elected Senate member, Head of Branded Experience at Vodafone UK and running her own Communication Consultancy firm where she worked with clients such as Sky, WPP, Mother.
Dr Gray has strong affiliations to the European Media Management Association, and professional bodies such as the Chartered Institute of Marketing and the National Council of Training for Journalists.
Melanie was awarded the Bournemouth University Vice Chancellor award in 2015 for her outstanding contribution to the University and has been nominated a further two times for this award.more
- Gray, M., 2018. Exploring the Role of Brand Co-creation in Brand Management Practices of UK Media Companies: PHD journey. In: European Media Management Associtaion - Doctoral Summer School 18-20 July 2018 Delegate and organiser.
- Gray, M., 2017. The changing nature of Brand Management in the Media Industry: Implications to the way we manage our brands in an era of stakeholder co-creation. In: European Media Management Association 11-12 May 2017 Ghent, Belgium.
- Gray, M., 2017. Implications of Branded Content for Brand Management: Rolls Royce Case study. In: 2nd Brand Content workshop: AHRC funded Branded Content Research Seminar series 20 January 2017 Delegate and Organiser.
- Gray, M., 2016. Exploring the changing nature of Media Brands: a UK industry perspective. In: European Media Management Association, Annual conference 2-3 June 2016 Porta, Portugal.
- Gray, M., 2015. Teaching Entrepreneurship to HE Marketing students: are we up for the challenge? In: 8th Media Education Summit: Centre Excellence Media Practice 20-21 November 2015 Boston, USA.
- Gray, M., 2015. Exploring the role of brand experience and co-creation in media brands. In: European Media Management Conference - Development and Sustainability in Media Business 27-29 May 2015 Hamburg.
- European training and development - enhancing knowledge in Media Management (Erasmus University Rotterdam, 04 Jun 2019). Awarded
- Present at 14th Global Brand Conference in Berlin (QR funding, 07 May 2019). Awarded
- European Media Management Doctoral Summer School (European Media Management Association, 04 Jul 2018). Completed
- CPD: Branding and Brand Management short course to Media Professionals (CPD, 08 Sep 2017). Completed
- CPD: Branding and Brand Management short course to Media Professionals (CPD, 09 Sep 2016). Completed
- CPD: Branding and Brand Management short course to Media Professionals (CPD, 04 Sep 2015). Completed
- Amilla: a national competition for PR students (Bournemouth University, 01 Jan 2012). Awarded
- Oxford Brookes University, England, External Revalidation member for MSc Marketing (2018-), https://www.brookes.ac.uk/templates/pages/coursefinder.aspx?q=marketing&searchtype=postgraduate
- Head of Education, Media and Communication Faculty, Corporate Marketing Department. https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/ba-hons-marketing-communications#&gid=null&pid=1
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Forum to discuss and debate the challenges facing the UK’s media at a time of major change. Involvement from international and national experts from government, regulation, academia and civil society .
- Invited speaker at Bournemouth University GlobalBuzz thought leader event.
- Academic consultants from Bournemouth University hosted an event for local businesses at the BU Centre for Entrepreurship . The theme of the session asked business leaders to consider whether they were making the most of one of their most valuable assets…their brand! The team provided a thought provoking seminar on issues such as brand identity, image, values, co-creation and protection.
- Departmental professional practice lead. Examples of success include: 'The Pitch', the largest national competition for Marketing students, led students to 2nd place 2017, 3rd place 2018, 2nd place 2019 (Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), 2018)
- Led a team of students to take 2nd place in 'The Pitch', the largest national competition for marketing students. https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2017-03-08/bu-students-reach-marketing-competition-final (Chartered Institute of Marketing, 2017)
- Vice chancellor award - annual University wide award for contribution to the University (Bournemouth University, 2015)
- Led two student teams from Bournemouth University to final of AdVenture, the leading international competition for Marketing and Advertising students. The competition final took place in Barcelona and was integral to the EdCom conference. A fantastic accolade was that one of the Bournemouth student teams won the competition, with the other team taking third place. https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/features/education/11215241.Students_off_to_Cannes_after_winning_European_advertising_contest (EdCom - European Insititute for Commercial Communications Education http://www.eaca-inspire.eu/academics/edcom-institute/, 2014)
- Nominated for Vice-Chancellor's Staff Awards 2014: Collaborative Team (Bournemouh University, 2014)
- Chartered Institute of Marketing, Member,