Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Maike Helmers joined Bournemouth University's Media School in 1997 where she is now a Senior Lecturer in Sound Design and Editing.
Prior to joining BU, Maike worked in the film cutting rooms of the British Broadcasting Corporation's Film Department, where she was trained to become an Editor. She has worked across a wide range of the BBC's programme output from Drama & Docs to Current Affairs and Arts programmes.
During her career with the BBC, Maike experienced the changing worlds of 16mm / 35mm film gauges, transversed the dark side of the cutting room moon in the guise of the linear tape edit suites of the early 1990s, to emerge blinking into the early brightness of non-linear packages such as Lightworks. She also gained experience using Avid, Soundscape & ProTools.
Maike's PhD / MPhil research is centred on early German sound film. She has published several articles and reviews related to her specialist area in both The Soundtrack as well as The New Soundtrack journals.
- Helmers, M., 2018. Westfront 1918 – Pabst’s Sonic Nightmare of the Trenches. Music, Sound and the Moving Image.
- Helmers, M., 2014. Emil und die Detektive: Early German sound cinema aesthetic. The New Soundtrack, 4 (1), 41-57.
- Helmers, M., 2011. Fritz Lang's Three Versions of Doctor Mabuse. The New Soundtrack, 1 (2), 181-189.
- Helmers, M., 2008. Ears Open: The Lives of Others. The Soundtrack, 1 (2), 139-145.
- Helmers, M., 2008. Silent Film Sound. The Soundtrack, 1 (1), 61-63.
- Helmers, M., 2017. Sound Reaches the Parts… Ethical Dimensions of Film Sound. In: Entangled Media History 8-10 May 2013 Bournemouth.
- Helmers, M., 2016. Early German Sound Film: The Case of Westfront 1918. In: Silent Cinema and the Transition to Sound 23-24 May 2016 University of Stirling.
- Helmers, M., 2013. Sound Transformation: German Film Sound in the early 1930s. In: GMaC 12-13 November 2013 Hamburg.
- Helmers, M., 2013. When film sound concepts were uncharted territory. On Lamprecht's 1931 film Emil und die Detektive. In: School of Sound 3-6 April 2013 Purcell Rooms, South Bank, London.
- Helmers, M., 2010. Sounds Left and Right: On the relationship between political agenda and sound aesthetics of early German sound film during the late Weimar Republic. In: On, Archives 6-9 July 2010 University of Wisconsin: Madison.
- Dip HE in European Humanities (Open University, 1998)
- Cert HE in Professional Practice (Academic Development) (Bournemouth University, 2002)
- British Film Institute, Member,
- Higher Education Academy (FHEA), Fellow,
- Royal Society of Arts (FRSA), Fellow,