Dr Marc Mimler
- 01202 966517
- mmimler at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer (Academic) in Law
- Weymouth House W404, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr Marc Mimler joined Bournemouth University in 2016 as a lecturer. He is a fully qualified German attorney (Rechtsanwalt) and is admitted to the bar association of Munich. After obtaining his undergraduate degree in law from the Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich, he completed his bar school (Referendariat) at the Higher District Court of Munich. He then obtained a Master’s degree in intellectual property law and a PhD in patent law from Queen Mary’s Intellectual Property Research Institute (QMIPRI) in London. He has been teaching and presenting on all fields of intellectual property at conferences and HE institutions in the UK and abroad. He also used to be founding General Editor of the Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property (QMJIP).
Marc’s research interests cover intellectual property law in general with its interfaces with human rights and international trade law, information technology law and competition law. Marc has a particular interest in exceptions to intellectual property rights from a doctrinal and practical perspective and is currently developing a monograph on this issue with Edward Elgar.
- Mimler, M., 2019. Giancarlo Frosio, Reconciling Copyright with Cumulative Creativity – The Third Paradigm (Edward Elgar, 2018) 400 pp (Book Review). Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property.
- Mimler, M., 2019. Udo Di Fabio, „Urheberrecht und Kunstfreiheit unter digitalen Verwertungsbedingungen“ (C.H. Beck Verlag, 2018) 125 Seiten (Book Review). Gewerblicher Rechtsschutz und Urheberrecht International.
- Mimler, M., 2019. The Court of Justice of the European Union finds that copyright does not subsist in the taste of cheese spread (Levola Hengelo BV v Smilde Foods BV (Case C-310/17)). Intellectual Property Forum, 96-98.
- Mimler, M., 2018. Noam Shemtov, Beyond the Code – Protection of Non-Textual Features of Software (Oxford University Press, 2017) 288 pp (Book review). Interactive Entertainment Law Review, 1 (2), 123-124.
- Bonadio, E. and Mimler, M., 2018. Brexit Implications for Geographical Indications of Food and Beverages. European Intellectual Property Review, 41 (1), 1-4.
- Mimler, M., 2017. Henning Grosse Ruse-Khan, The Protection of Intellectual Property in International Law (Oxford University Press, 2016) 544 pp. (Book review). Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property, 7 (4), 490-491.
- Mimler, M., 2017. "An island of tranquillity" - Kritika: Essays on Intellectual Property—Volume I Peter Drahos , Gustavo Ghidini and Hanns Ullrich (eds) Edward Elgar, 2015 pp. 352 (Book review). Journal of intellectual property law & practice.
- Mimler, M., 2017. ‘Metall auf Metall’ – the German Federal Constitutional Court discusses the permissibility of sampling music tracks. Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property, 7 (1), 119-127.
- Mimler, M. and Axel Paul Ringelhann, 2017. Digital exploitation of out-of-print books and copyright law: French licensing mechanism for out-of-print books under CJEU scrutiny. European Intellectual Property Review, 39 (3), 190-193.
- Mimler, M., 2016. First things first: German Federal High Court provides guidance on ISP liability in online copyright infringement cases. Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice, 11 (7), 485-489.
- Mimler, M., 2016. Jacques de Werra (ed), Défis du droit de la concurrence déloyale – Challenges to Unfair Competition Law (Schulthess, 2014) 188 pp. (Book review). Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property, 6 (1).
- Mimler, M., 2013. "3D Printing, the Internet and Patent Law – A History repeating?”. La Rivista di Diritto Industriale, 62 (6).
- Mimler, M., 2013. “The aspects of unfair competition within the Apple v Samsung litigation in Germany”. Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property, 3 (2), 176-184.
- Mimler, M., 2013. Gustavo Ghidini, Innovation, Competition and Consumer Welfare in Intellectual Property Law (Edward Elgar, 2010), 304 pp (Book review). Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property, 3 (1).
- Mimler, M., 2011. HHJ Michael Fysh QC, Ashley Roughton, Phillip Johnson, Trevor Cook (eds), The Modern Law of Patents, Second Edition (Lexis Nexis, 2010), ccxxxvi + 1921 pp. (Book review). Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property, 1 (1), 107-109.
- Mimler, M., 2010. "Patent law in Stars and Stripes" - Patent Law, Third Edition Janice M. Mueller Wolters Kluwer Law & Business, 2009 ISBN: 9780735578319, Paperback, pp. 640 (Book review). Journal of intellectual property law & practice, 5 (10).
- Mimler, M., 2010. "Fordham for all to enjoy" - Intellectual Property Law and Policy, Volume 10 Hugh C. Hansen (Ed.) Hart Publishing, 2008 ISBN: 1841138274 /9781841138275, Hard cover, pp. 893 (Book Review). Journal of intellectual property law & practice, 5 (6).
- Mimler, M., 2019. The Public Interest and the Construction of Exceptions to Patent Rights. Edward Elgar Publishing.
- “Standing on the Shoulders of Giants" – Legal research excellence and knowledge sharing at Queen Mary, University of London. Queen Mary University of London.
- Mimler, M., 2018. “On how to deal with Pandora’s Box – Copyright in works of Nazi leaders”. In: Bonadio, E. and Lucchi, N., eds. Non-Conventional Copyright. Edward Elgar, 432-454.
- Mimler, M., 2018. “Chapter 4: Germany”. Copyright Protection of Street Art and Graffiti - A Country-by-Country Legal Analysis. Cambridge University Press.
- Mimler, M., 2018. “3D Printing and patent law - The UK perspective”. In: Mendis, D., Lemley, M. and Rimmer, M., eds. 3D Printing and Beyond: The Intellectual Property and Legal and Implications Surrounding 3D Printing and Emerging Technologies. Edward Elgar, 115-136.
- Mimler, M., 2018. The effect of EU law on the status of inventors. In: Arnold, R., Cippitani, R. and Colcelli, V., eds. Individual Rights as Dimension of The European Research Area. Universität Regensburg.
- Mimler, M., 2018. “Inventor”. In: Bartolini, A., ed. Dictionary of European Statuses. Springer, 331-337.
- Mimler, M., 2018. The Effect of Brexit on Trademarks, Designs and Other "Europeanized" Areas of Intellectual Property Law in the United Kingdom. In: Fitzgerald, O. and Lein, E., eds. Complexity's embrace: The International Law implications of Brexit. CIGI Press.
- Mimler, M. and Minssen, T., 2017. Patenting Bioprinting-Technologies in the US and Europe: The Fifth Element in the Third Dimension. In: Ballardini, R.M., Norrgård, M. and Partanen, J., eds. 3D Printing, Intellectual Property and Innovation: Insights from Law and Technology. Kluwer Law International.
- Mimler, M. and McDonagh, Luke, 2017. Intellectual Property Law and Brexit: A Retreat or a Reaffirmation of Jurisdiction? In: Dougan, M., ed. The UK after Brexit: Legal and Policy Challenges. Intersentia.
- Mimler, M., 2016. Chapter 4: Intellectual Property and Competition Law in the United Kingdom. In: Lorenz, M., Chrocziel, P. and Prinz zu Waldeck und Pyrmont, W., eds. Intellectual Property and Competition Law. Wolters Kluwer.
- Mimler, M., 2019. The chilling effects of IP: Transparency rules and practice by public authorities and universities. In: Intellectual Property for Social Enterprising. Solving Social Problems through University Information 7-11 August 2017 Mexico City, Mexico.
- Borghi, M. and Mimler, M., 2018. Rules of improvement for derivative works. Transplanting patent doctrine into copyright law. In: Intellectual Property in transitions: (Re)imagining intellectual property 16-17 April 2018 University of Exeter.
- Mendis, D., Mimler, M., Hong, D., Bosher, H. and Wei, L., 2018. A Review of the Intellectual Property Enforcement Landscape in the UK (Forthcoming, 2018). UK Intellectual Property Office.
- Suthersanen, Uma, Musker, David and Mimler, Marc, 2016. RESEARCH PROJECTS “Legal review on industrial design protection in Europe under the contract with the Directorate General Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs (MARKT2014/083/D)”. EU Commision.
- Johnson, P., Gibson, J. and Freeman, J., 2013. “The Impact of Lookalikes - Similar packaging and fast-moving consumer goods”. UK Intellectual Property Office.
- Mimler, M. and Bonadio, E., 2018. Brexit: champagne, parmesan, prosecco and feta could soon be at the centre of negotiations. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/brexit-champagne-parmesan-prosecco-and-feta-could-soon-be-at-the-centre-of-negotiations-100357.
Profile of Teaching PG
- LL.M.: Principles of International Law, International Organisations and the World Trade Organisations
- PG Cert in IP: Patents and Design
- PG Cert in IP: Copyright and Trade Marks
Profile of Teaching UG
- Intellectual Property Law
- Law of the European Union
“3D Printing & IP Law”, Skopje, Macedonia, 08 May 2016 more
Double Degree Progamme between Ss Cyril & Methodius University and the CEIPI, 1
Overlap between copyright, trade marks and patent, London, 20 Oct 2016 more
24th Advanced Level Training Course in Copyright and Related Rights organised by the British Copyright Council on behalf of WIPO and in association with IPO.
3D Printing and its implications for design law, Alicante, Spain, 16 May 2017 more
WIPO 11th Advanced IP Research Forum, World Intellectual Property Organization, Geneva, 23 May 2017 more
Bioprinting stem cells .Opportunities & obstacles for patentability, WIPO Advanced IP Research Forum
- Jean-Monnet Centre of Excellence "European Intellectual Property and Information Rights" (Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency, 01 Oct 2018). Awarded
- Study on Illegal IPTV and Cardsharing in the EU (European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO), 03 Sep 2018). Awarded
- Review of the IP Enforcement Landscape (UK Intellectual Property Office, 01 Sep 2017). In Progress
- Interactive Entertainment Law Review (IELR), Editor-in -Chief (2017-), https://www.elgaronline.com/view/journals/ielr/ielr-overview.xml
- Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property (QMJIP), General Editor (2008-2013), https://www.elgaronline.com/view/journals/qmjip/qmjip-overview.xml
- Global Exchange Lead for the Law Departement, Global BU
- Coventry University IP seminar series, Exceptions as collision norms – A sociological approach to exceptions to IP rights, 29 Mar 2019, Coventry University
- OIPRC Invited Speaker Series, The Doctrine of Equivalents in UK Patent Law, 21 Feb 2019, University of Oxford
- European Intellectual Property and its Limits, “Exceptions as collision norms: looking at IP free uses through a socio-legal lens”, 16 Jan 2019, Bournemouth
- Limitations on Trademark Rights from Comparative and Interdisciplinary Perspectives, Limitations as Collision Norms – A Systems Theoretical Analysis of Limitations to Trade Mark Rights, 07 Jan 2019, Hong Kong
- European Photonics Roadshow Series, The European and International IP landscape for MedTech, 20 Nov 2018, Marseille
- Individual Status on the European Process of Integration, Untangling from the acquis – The case of IP law and Brexit, 05 Jul 2018, Brussels
- Privacy and Research Activity under the Light of Regulation (EU) 2016/679, GDPR and the Use for AI Patenting, 04 Jul 2018, Brussels
- The Latest and Greatest Challenges of Brexit, IP ramifications of Brexit, 03 May 2018, Goodenough College, London
- Implications of Brexit on Intellectual Property in the UK and EU, Brexit and Geographical Indications, 12 Feb 2018, London
- Work in Progress lunch, "The public interest and the construction of exceptions to patent rights", 19 Sep 2017, University College London
- International Workshop on Intellectual Property Law in Perspective of Economic Growth and Wealth Creation, Human Rights Considerations and Their Impact on Exceptions to IP Rights, 16 Aug 2017, Izmir, Turkey
- Intellectual Property for Social Enterprising - Solving Social Problems through University Innovation, The chilling effects of IP: Transparency rules and practice by public authorities and universities, 07 Aug 2017, Instituto de Investigaciones Juridicas, UNAM, Mexico City
- ISHTIP 2017 workshop, Rules of Improvement for derivative works - Transplanting patent doctrine into copyright law, 12 Jul 2017, University of Toronto
- IP and/in practice Workshop, The public interest and the construction of exceptions to patent rights, 19 Jun 2017, University of Exeter
- 11th WIPO Advanced Intellectual Property Research Seminar, "Bioprinting stem cells - opportunities and obstacles for patenting", 22 May 2017, Geneva
- Inter-Agency Legal Network Meeting, Access to information and IP rights – Regulation (EC) No 1049/2001 in the context of IP Rights protection and overriding public interests, 27 Apr 2017, Parma, Italy
- Is there a European Future for UK Intellectual Property Law? - CIPPM Annual Symposium, “How ‘European’ will UK patent law be after Brexit?”, 03 Nov 2016, Bournemouth University
- IP4Growth Regional Conference, “Alternative protection schemes - “The new Swissness Legislation”, 01 Sep 2016, Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
- Escuela Internacional de la Propiedad Intellectual, “3D Printing: A challenge for Intellectual Property in the ages of new technologies”, “IP Protection Frameworks in the Industry: The Common Law and the Continental Model”, “Intellectual Property and G, 11 Jul 2016, Bogota, Colombia
- “Universidad y Propiedad Intelectual”, “Governing the knowledge economy – Copyright and University practice”, 04 Dec 2015, Bogota, Colombia
- The City Law School research seminar series, “Much ado about nothing? - Is IP law ready for the 3D printing "revolution", 07 Oct 2015, London, UK
- Produzione di beni attraverso stampa in 3D: profili di proprietà intellettuale, “3D Printing and Patent Law – Is the private and non-commercial use exception obsolete?”, 30 Apr 2015, Milan, Italy
- St. Catherine’s Session, "Is it the economy, stupid? - Challenges to ethics by transnational law", 20 Sep 2014, Windsor, UK
- IDP Conference, “3D Printing, the Internet and Patent Law – A History Repeating?”,, 25 Jun 2013, Barcelona, Spain
- Postgraduate Legal Research Conference, “Have we unleashed the Trolls in Europe? – The Unitary Patent and the Patent Troll Issue”, 06 Jun 2013, London, UK
- EIPIN Doctoral Conference, “Exceptions to patentee’s rights and legislative freedom”, 31 Jan 2013, Maastricht, Netherlands
- SLS Conference 2012, “Secondary indications of inventiveness and objectivity in the assessment of the inventive step”, 14 Sep 2012, Bristol, UK
- SLS Conference 2009, “The Application of Customary Law in Relation to Traditional Knowledge in European Courts”, 09 Sep 2009, Keele, UK
- PhD in Patent Law (Queen Mary University of London, 2015)
- LLM in Intellectual Property Law (Queen Mary University of London, 2008)
- First State Examination in Law (Ludwig-Maximilians University Munich, 2005)
- Second State Examination in Law (Higher District Court of Munich, 2007)
- Herchel Smith Scholarship (Emmanuel College, Cambridge, 2008)
- Society of Legal Scholars (SLS), Member,