Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Mark joined the university in 2007 after teaching in Further Education, and with some professional experience in TV news and script editing. His PhD – What’s in a Word? The Discursive Construction of Creativity (2010) – argued for a critical intervention in the use of the term ‘creativity’, particularly in education policy. He has presented this work at conferences in the UK, Europe and the USA and written about in the journals Networks and MERJ.
Mark also has interests in scriptwriting and censorship and has written two works for the BFI: Teaching Scriptwriting, Screenplays and Storyboards for Film and TV Production (2003) and Teaching Film Censorship and Controversy (2007). His recent edited collection, Teaching and Learning On Screen: Mediated Pedagogies (2016) explores the significance of representations of teachers and teaching in films and TV programmes, and includes chapters from the USA, South America, Australia and Europe.
He is currently supervising six doctoral students, is a tutor on the Doctor of Education programme, and teaches on the MA in Creative and Media Education... As Programme Leader for the Media Faculty’s Master’s level Short Course Framework, he oversees a range of courses for media professionals, which has included students from the BBC, Channel Four and Pearson.more
- Wilkinson, P., Taylor, J. and Readman, M., 2018. Mediating family play: Exploring the expectations of digital media through a mobile application designed to facilitate real-world child–parent play. International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction, 18, 90-99.
- McDougall, J., Readman, M. and Wilkinson, P., 2018. The Uses of (Digital) Literacy. Learning, Media and Technology.
- Readman, M., 2016. How to act like a superstar scholar. Times Higher Education Supplement.
- Readman, M., 2016. Editorial - David Bowie. Journal of Media Practice.
- Readman, M. and McDougall, J., 2016. Editorial. Journal of Media Practice, 17 (1), 1-3.
- Readman, M., 2014. The Ironic Spectator: Solidarity in the Age of Post-Humanitarianism by Lilie Chouliaraki (review). Discourse & Society: An International Journal for the Study of Discourse and Communication in their Social, Political and Cultural Contexts, 26 (1), 135-137.
- Readman, M., 2013. Screenwriting: History, Theory and Practice, by Steven Maras (Review). Journal of Media Practice, 14 (1), 79.
- Readman, M., 2012. Practice at the MeCCSA 2012 conference. Three-D, 24.
- Readman, M. and Trotman, D., 2011. Extended Review: Making is Connecting: The Social Meaning of Creativity, from DIY and Knitting to You Tube and Web 2.0, by David Gauntlett. Media Education Research Journal, 2 (2), 109-120.
- Readman, M., 2011. Inspecting Creativity: Making the Abstract Visible. Media Education Research Journal, 02 (01), 57-72.
- Readman, M., 2009. Don't Mention the 'C-Word'. Networks.
- Readman, M., 2016. Teaching and Learning On Screen: Mediated Pedagogies. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Readman, M., 2005. Teaching Film Censorship and Controversy. London: British Film Institute.
- Readman, M., 2003. Teaching Scriptwriting, Screenplays and Storyboards for Film and TV Production. London: BFI.
- Readman, M., 2018. E-learning in Higher Education: A case of Doctoral Dialogue in a Virtual Space. In: Bak, O., ed. E-Business and Supply Chain Integration- Strategies and case studies from industry. Kogan Page.
- Connolly, S. and Readman, M., 2017. Towards 'creative media literacy'. International Handbook of Media Literacy Education. 245-259.
- McDougall, J., 2016. Zizek at the Gogglebox. In: Readman, M., ed. Teaching and Learning on Screen: Mediated Pedagogies. London: Palgrave MacMIllan.
- Readman, M., 2016. Introduction to Teaching and Learning On Screen: Mediated Pedagogies. In: Readman, M., ed. Teaching and Learning On Screen: Mediated Pedagogies. Palgrave Macmillan, 1-7.
- Berger, R. and Woodfall, A., 2016. Remediated Pedagogies? The Secret Life of Six Year Olds. In: Readman, M., ed. Teaching and Learning on Screen: Mediated Pedagogies. London: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Readman, M., 2016. "I wanna be a SHIT-head!" Accepted and radical pedagogy. Teaching and Learning On Screen: Mediated Pedagogies. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- McDougall, J. and Readman, M., 2015. Mediaptating the 'civic imperative'. In: Jackson, D. and Thorsen, E., eds. UK Election Analysis 2015: Media, Voters and the Campaign. Bournemouth: The Centre for the Study of Journalism, Culture and Community.
- Readman, M., 2013. Media Education as Philosophy. In: Fraser, P. and Wardle, J., eds. Current Perspectives in Media Education. London: Palgrave.
- Berger, R. and Readman, M., 2013. Femininity and the body: Spectacle and signification. Barthes' Mythologies Today: Readings of Contemporary Culture. 75-79.
- McDougall, J., 2013. We are the resurrection: Media education after the media. In: Fraser, W. and Wardle, J., eds. Current Perspectives in Media Education. Palgrave MacMillan.
- Readman, M., 2016. Keynote: 'Mediated Pedagogies', or: Why stories about teaching and learning are good for us. In: Media Education Summit 4-5 November 2016 John Cabot University, Rome.
- Readman, M., 2015. Doctoral Dialogue in a Virtual Space. In: e-Learning 2.0 29 July 2015 Brunel University.
- Readman, M., 2015. Barthes' Mythologies Today: The Bum of Middleton. In: Roland Barthes at 100 30-31 March 2015 Cardiff University.
- Readman, M., 2015. Keynote: ‘What we talk about when we talk about creativity’. In: Learning and Teaching Day 2015 14 January 2015 University of the Arts, London.
- Readman, M. and Moon, J., 2014. Graduated Scenarios to aid critical thinking for media production students. In: Media Education Summit 2014 20-21 November 2014 Goethe Institut, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Readman, M., 2014. Making Sense of Creativity for Screenwriters and Educators. In: Teaching Screenwriting: Creativity, Innovation and Professional Practice 7 April 2014 University of Salford.
- Readman, 2014. Mediated Pedagogies: Educating Yorkshire. In: MeCCSA 8-10 January 2014 Bournemouth University.
- Readman, 2013. Mediated Pedagogies (MERJ Conversation). In: Media Education Summit 19-20 September 2013 Sheffield Hallam University.
- Readman, 2013. What we teach about when we teach about creativity. In: Assessing and evaluating creativity for undergraduates in Media Studies and Art & Design 28 February 2013 De Montfort University.
- Readman, M., 2012. “I’ve got to say, by the way, it’s been downloaded six million times”: Ken Robinson’s TED talk and the discursive construction of ‘creativity’. In: Discourse Communication Conversation 21-23 March 2012 Loughborough University.
- Readman, M., 2012. “Where’s the knowledge Ronnie?”: Epistemological and ontological issues in practice-based research. In: MeCCSA 11-13 January 2012 University of Bedfordshire.
- Readman, M., 2010. Creativity: Analysis of a Concept. In: 2010 National CASTL Institute 3-5 June 2010 Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska, USA.
- Readman, M., 2010. No such Thing as Creativity. In: Educational Challenge: Innovation in Creative Industries 26-27 March 2010 Baltic Film and Media School, Tallinn, Estonia.
- Readman, M., 2009. Assessing Creative Practice. In: Workshop for Creative Arts tutors 29 January 2009 Salford University, England.
- Readman, M., 2009. Making Sense of Creativity. In: MeCCSA conference 2009 14-16 January 2009 National Media Museum, Bradford, England.
- Readman, M., 2009. Guest lecture on 'Creativity'. In: Guest lecture November 2009 Newman University College, Birmingham, England.
- Readman, M., 2008. Making Sense of Creativity. In: CEMP Media Summit 1-2 September 2008 Bournemouth Media School, Bournemouth, England.
- Readman, M., 2008. Making Sense of Creativity. In: CEMP Media Summit 1-2 September 2008 Bournemouth Media School, Bournemouth University, Poole, England.
- Readman, M., 2008. Guest lecture on 'Creativity'. In: Guest Lecture November 2008 Newman University College, Birmingham, England.
- Readman, M.. "I've got to say, by the way, it's been downloaded six million times": Ken Robinson's TED talk and the discursive construction of 'creativity'. In: Discourse, Communication, Conversation 21-23 March 2012 Loughborough University.
- Readman, M.. "Where's the knowledge Ronnie?": Epistemological and ontological issues in practice-based research. In: Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association 11-13 January 2012 University of Bedfordshire.
- McDougall, J., Readman, M. and Wilkinson, P., 2016. Digital Families: From Digital Literacy to Capability. Bournemouth / Chertsey: BU / Samsung.
- Readman, M., 2017. 'How to be a Superstar Scholar' Revisited. Conference Inference. Available from: https://conferenceinference.wordpress.com/2017/01/30/guest-post-by-mark-readman-how-to-be-a-superstar-scholar-revisited/#comments.
- Readman, M., 2011. Not 'philosophy of media education', but 'media education as philosophy'.
- Michelle Cannon, 2016. Media-making matters: exploring literacy with young learners as media crafting, critique and artistry
- Philip Wilkinson. Purposing digital media for education: Critically exploring values and expectations in applying digital media for children's learning and development
- Siobhan Lennon-Patience. What does it mean to flourish? A psycho-cultural investigation
- Nina Perry, 2018. Music, Narrative, Voice and Presence: Revealing a composed feature methodology
- Andrew Bissell. Strangers in a strange land: Towards a hermeneutic understanding of journalism education
- Wesley Nolan. PonderLogic: A digital ethnographic study of first generation students in higher media education through a transformative learning lens
- Ross Adamson. Documentary encounters: Making sense of documentary filmmaking in higher education
Profile of Teaching PG
- MA in Creative and Media Education
- MA Short Course Framework
- EdD Tutor
Profile of Teaching UG
- Level H Dissertation
What we teach about when we teach about creativity, De Montfort University, 28 Feb 2013 more
Presentation for Assessing and evaluating creativity for undergraduates in Media Studies and Art & Design - HEA funded event. "Mark Readman, in his talk, posed a series of questions for ourselves as academics/teachers in relation to media practice: What are our assumptions about ‘creativity’? What’s the conceptual relationship between creativity and ‘art’? And ‘craft’? How is the ideological hierarchy of creative work/activity manifested/constructed? What qualitative differences are identifiable in different kinds of thinking and doing? What’s at stake in our answers to these questions? He also posed a series of questions for students: What different meanings of ‘creativity’ can you find? Who gets called ‘creative’? Why? By whom? In what ways are you/is your work ‘creative’? How do you think you’re being assessed for ’creativity’?" https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/blog/assessing-and-evaluating-creativity-undergraduates-media-studies-and-art-design
What we talk about when we talk about creativity, London College of Communication, London, 14 Jan 2015 more
In this keynote Dr Mark Readman will explore the notion of creativity, providing an overview of the key approaches to this most seductive and elusive concept, and suggesting ways in which we might operate with it within explicit critical frameworks. Mark argues that ‘creativity’ is a particular kind of problem - a problem of meaning rather than a problem of practice - and, therefore, it is necessary to examine how the construction of meanings around ‘creativity’ is constituted by, and constitutive of, power/knowledge relations. He suggests that it’s necessary to resist the allure of an ‘essential nature’ of creativity, in order to make sense of the full range of discursive and material practices by which ‘creativity’ is constituted. http://cltad-web.arts.ac.uk/latd/2015/
03 Nov 2016 more
Media Education Summit, John Cabot University, Rome
27 May 2016 more
Winchester School of Art, University of Southampton
Thinking Critically about Creativity, UCL, Knowledge Lab, London, 31 Jan 2018 more
UCL Knowledge Lab Talk
- Hostile Environments Training (Reuters, 01 Oct 2015). Completed
- ‘Fast Forward: Getting up to speed with current VFX practice’ (Creative Skillset, 18 Jun 2015). Awarded
- Journal of Media Practice, Editorial Board Member (2017-)
- Leeds Trinity University, External Examiner - MA by Research (2017-)
- Brighton University, External Examiner - PhD (2017-)
- University of Seville, External Examiner - PhD (2016-)
- Brunel University, External Examiner, BA Film and TV (2015-)
- The Media Education Research Journal, Member of Editorial Board (2011-)
- Media Education Summit 2015, Mediated Pedagogies (Roundtable), 20 Nov 2015, Emerson College, Boston, MA
- PhD in The Discursive Construction of Creativity (Bournemouth University, 2010)
- PGCE in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2010)
- MA in English Literature (Warwick University, 1991)
- PGCE in English and Media (Oxford University, 1990)
- BA (Hons) in English Literature (Exeter University, 1987)
- Studentship (fees and maintenance) for MA study (British Academy, 1990)
- PhD Studentship (Bournemouth University, 2007)
- Learning and Teaching Fellowship (Bournemouth University, 2014)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2010-),