Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
As a lecturer at the psychology department of Bournemouth University, my teaching is focused on eating behaviour and health psychology.
I graduated from a BSc and MSc in Nutrition and Health at Wageningen University (The Netherlands), including an internship at the Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience of Maastricht University (The Netherlands), and an internship at the School of Experimental Psychology of the University of Bristol (UK). Additionally, I worked as a research assistant on several projects at Wageningen University, and the University of Bristol. I completed a PhD in Psychology at Bournemouth University in 2017.
My research interests are in health psychology, and specifically human eating behaviour. I have previously worked on projects about the eating behaviour of children and infants, and several projects on protein intake, food choice and energy compensation, eating topography, and the effect of food processing on satiety in adults. More recently, I have focused on protein intake and physical abilities in older adults... My current research is focused on eating behaviour of people over 55 years old.more
- van den Heuvel, E., Newbury, A. and Appleton, K.M., 2019. The psychology of nutrition with advancing age: Focus on food neophobia. Nutrients, 11 (1).
- van den Heuvel, E., Murphy, J.L. and Appleton, K.M., 2018. Towards a food-based intervention to increase protein intakes in older adults: Challenges to and facilitators of egg consumption. Nutrients, 10 (10).
- van den Heuvel, E., Murphy, J.L. and Appleton, K.M., 2018. Could Eggs Help Increase Dietary Protein Intake in Older Adults?–Exploring Reasons for the Consumption and Non-Consumption of Eggs in People over 55 years old. Journal of Nutrition in Gerontology and Geriatrics.
- van den Heuvel, E., Murphy, J.L. and Appleton, K.M., 2017. Increasing dietary protein intake in community dwelling older adults: protocol for a randomised controlled trial and baseline data. E221.
- van den Heuvel, E., Murphy, J.L. and Appleton, K.M., 2016. Exploring the reasons for consuming and not consuming eggs: A focus group study. In: British Feeding and Drinking Group 7-8 April 2016 London, UK.
- van den Heuvel, E., Murphy, J.L. and Appleton, K.M., 2016. Exploring the Consumption of Eggs in Older Adults: a Questionnaire Study. In: Nutrition Society Summer meeting 2016 11-15 July 2016 Dublin. Cambridge University Press (CUP): PDF allowed.
- van den Heuvel, E., Murphy, J.L. and Appleton, K.M., 2015. Exploring the barriers and facilitators to the consumption of eggs and other protein rich foods using focus groups. E314.