Dr Natalia Chechina
- 01202 965743
- nchechina at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer in Computing
- Poole House P318, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Natalia Chechina is a Lecturer in Computing in the Department of Computing & Informatics at Bournemouth University. Her research investigates approaches and techniques to enable scaling and efficient performance on commodity hardware where components are loosely coupled, communication is significant, and any of the components may fail or disconnect at any time.
She is a regular reviewer of research projects for various UK and international funders including UK EPSRC and Polish NCN, journal articles in the area of distributed computing including Elsevier JPDC, and international conferences. In 2018 Natalia is a co-chair of the ACM SIGPLAN Erlang Workshop 2018, and a PC member of TFP'18 and IFL'18. She is also a regular speaker at various industrial conferences, such as BuildStuff, QCon, NDC, Erlang Factory Lite, Erlang User Conference.
Natalia received her PhD from Heriot-Watt University, UK in 2011. She then worked as a Research Associate and Research Fellow at Heriot-Watt University (2011-13) and Glasgow University (2013-17).
My research investigates approaches and techniques to enable scaling and efficient performance on commodity hardware where components are loosely coupled, communication is significant, and any of the components may fail or disconnect at any time.
Topics of interest include scaling distributed computation, distributed robotics, concurrent and parallel programming, Erlang, stochastic modelling, autonomous systems, and overlay networks.
- Trinder, P., Chechina, N. et al., 2017. Scaling Reliably: Improving the Scalability of the Erlang Distributed Actor Platform. ACM Trans. Program. Lang. Syst., 39, 17:1-17:46.
- Chechina, N., Li, H., Ghaffari, A., Thompson, S. and Trinder, P., 2017. Evaluating Scalable Distributed Erlang for Scalability and Reliability. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 90-91.
- Chechina, N., Li, H., Ghaffari, A., Thompson, S. and Trinder, P., 2016. Improving the Network Scalability of Erlang. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 90-91, 22-34.
- Chechina, N., King, P. and Trinder, P., 2011. Redundant movements in autonomous mobility: Experimental and theoretical analysis. J. Parallel Distrib. Comput., 71, 1278-1292.
- Boudeville, O., Cesarini, F., Chechina, N., Lundin, K., Papaspyrou, N., Sagonas, K., Thompson, S., Trinder, P. and Wiger, U., 2012. RELEASE: A High-level Paradigm for Reliable Large-scale Server Software. Trends in Functional Programming. Springer, 263-278.
- Chechina, N., Trinder, P. and Valkov, I., 2018. Comparing Languages for Engineering Server Software: Erlang, Go, and Scala with Akka. In: Symposium on Applied Computing 9-13 April 2018 Pau, France. ACM.
- Lutac, A., Chechina, N., Aragon-Camarasa, G. and Trinder, P., 2016. Towards Reliable and Scalable Robot Communication. ACM, 12-23.
- Chechina, N., Moro Hernandez, M. and Trinder, P., 2016. A Scalable Reliable Instant Messenger Using the SD Erlang Libraries. ACM, 33-41.
- MacKenzie, K., Chechina, N. and Trinder, P., 2015. Performance Portability Through Semi-explicit Placement in Distributed Erlang. ACM, 27-38.
- Ghaffari, A., Chechina, N., Trinder, P. and Meredith, J., 2013. Scalable Persistent Storage for Erlang: Theory and Practice. ACM, 73-74.
- Chechina, N., King, P. and Trinder, P., 2010. Using Negotiation to Reduce Redundant Autonomous Mobile Program Movements. IEEE Computer Society Press, 343-346.
- Chechina, N., King, P., Pooley, R. and Trinder, P., 2009. Simulating Autonomous Mobile Programs on Networks.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Software Engineering for Mechanical Engineering students (L3 at Glasgow University)
- Computers and Networks Unit (Computers part)
- RELEASE: A High-Level Paradigm for Reliable Large-scale Server Software (European Union, 01 Oct 2011). Completed
- Industrial Liason, Department of Computing & Informatics
- BuildStuff Ukraine 2018, 21 Nov 2016, Kiev, Ukraine
- BuildStuff Lithuania 2016, 16 Nov 2016, Vilnius, Lithuania
- CodeBEAM Stockholm 2018, 31 May 2018, Stockholm, Sweden
- BuildStuff Summer 2018, 05 May 2018, Majorca, Spain
- PhD in Computer Science (Heriot-University, UK, 2011)
- Engineer in Computers, systems, and networks (Kyrgyz State Technical University, 2008)
- Association for Computing Machinery, Member (2018-), https://www.acm.org/
- BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, Member (2018-), http://www.bcs.org/
- Distributed load balancing
- Distributed collaborative robotics
- Erlang programming language
- Functional and parallel programming languages