Dr Nicole Ferdinand
- 01202 963033
- nferdinand at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Events Mangement
- Dorset House D127, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am a Senior Lecturer in the Faculty of Management. I teach, consult and publish within the areas of festival and event management, international marketing and business strategy. I am particularly concerned with how festival organisations use networks to move through international markets and respond to local policy conditions. Currently, I am leading the Carnival University, funded by Bournemouth University’s Centre for Excellence in Learning, as part of my BU Learning and Teaching award for 2017/18. It focuses on engaging members of the public with Caribbean Carnival research. I am regular keynote speaker and presenter for public and private sector organisations, which have included: Meeting Professionals International (Finland Chapter), Meeting and Events Australia and the Victoria and Albert Museum. Topics on which I provide expertise range from event management and evaluation to Caribbean carnivals and other diaspora festivals. I hold a PhD in Culture, Media and the Creative Industries from King’s College London, an MSc in Marketing and a BA in English both from the University of the West Indies, St... Augustine. I am very interested in working with colleagues in other disciplines such as urban geography, cultural and media studies and international business.more
- Ferdinand, N. and Williams, N.L., 2018. The making of the London Notting Hill Carnival festivalscape: Politics and power and the Notting Hill Carnival. Tourism Management Perspectives, 27, 33-46.
- Williams, N.L., Inversini, A., Ferdinand, N. and Buhalis, D., 2017. Destination eWOM: A macro and meso network approach? Annals of Tourism Research, 64, 87-101.
- Williams, N.L., Ferdinand, N. and Pasian, B., 2016. Online Stakeholder Interactions in the Early Stage of a Megaproject. Project Management Journal, 46 (6), 92-110.
- Williams, N.L., Inversini, A., Buhalis, D. and Ferdinand, N., 2015. Community crosstalk: an exploratory analysis of destination and festival eWOM on Twitter. Journal of Marketing Management, 31 (9), 1113-1140.
- Ferdinand, N. and Tucker, J., 2015. Digital Engagement Conference: A Road Map for the Future of Festivals, July 9‐11 2014, Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus, Poole, Dorset, United Kingdom. Journal of Tourism Futures, 1 (2), 162-166.
- Ferdinand, N., 2015. The Future of Events and Festivals: Book Review. Journal of Tourism Futures, 1 (2), 156-161.
- Williams, N., Ferdinand, N. and Croft, R., 2014. Project management maturity in the age of big data. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business, 7 (2), 311-317.
- Williams, N., Ridgman, T., Shi, Y. and Ferdinand, N., 2014. Internationalization as Interaction: A process perspective on internationalization from a Small Developing Country. Thunderbird International Business Review, 56 (2), 127-144.
- Ferdinand, N. and Williams, N.L., 2013. International festivals as experience production systems. Tourism Management, 34 (1), 202-210.
- Ferdinand, N., 2008. The benefits of using of student volunteers for small businesses in the event industry: The use of student volunteers at Concert Live. London Journal of Tourism, Sport and the Creative Industries, 1 (2), 39-53.
- Ferdinand, N. and Kitchin, P., 2017. Events Management: An International Approach. London: Sage Publications Limited.
- Ferdinand, N. and Kichin, P., 2012. Events Management: An International Approach. London: Sage Publications.
- Ferdinand, N., Shaw, S.J. and Forsberg, E., 2017. Understanding international events. In: Ferdinand, N. and Kitchin, P.J., eds. Events Management: An International Approach. London: Sage Publications, 5-34.
- Ferdinand, N., Postma, A. and White, C., 2017. The future of international events. In: Ferdinand, N. and Kitchin, P., eds. Events Management: An International Approach. London: Sage Publications Limited, 334-361.
- Ferdinand, N., Wesner, S. and Wang, Y., 2017. The international events environment. In: Ferdinand, N. and Kitchin, P., eds. Events Management: An International Approach. London: Sage Publications Limited, 35-61.
- Ali, N. and Chidzey, M., 2017. Event Design. In: Ferdinand, N. and Kitchin, P., eds. Events Management: An International Approach. London: Sage Publications Limited.
- Ferdinand, N., Croft, R. and Williams, N., 2014. Social Network Analysis: Applications in Project Management Research. In: Paisan, B., ed. Designs, Methods & Practices for Research in Project Management. Gower Publishing Limited.
- Ferdinand, N. and Shaw, S., 2012. Events in our changing world. In: Ferdinand, N. and Kitchin, P., eds. Events Management: An International Approach. London: Sage Publications, 5-22.
- Ferdinand, N. and Wesner, S., 2012. The international events environment. In: Ferdinand, N. and Kitchin, P., eds. Events Management: An International Approach. London: Sage Publications, 23-47.
- Ferdinand, N. and Williams, N.L., 2011. Event staging. In: Page, S. and Connell, J., eds. The Routledge Handbook of Events. Abingdon: Routledge, 234-247.
- Ferdinand, N. and Williams, N.L., 2010. Tourism memorabilia and the tourism experience. In: Morgan, M., Lugosi, P. and Ritchie, J.R.B., eds. The Tourism and Leisure Experience: Consumer and Managerial Perspectives. Clevedon: Channel View Publications, 202-217.
- Cole, C., Ferdinand, N. and Williams, N.L., 2018. The Twitter force awakens: An exploratory analysis of the e-WoM around a sci-fi movie release. In: Fan Sudies Conference 29-30 June 2018 Cardiff, Wales.
- Ferdinand, N., 2017. 360 Degree Post-event Evaluation. In: Meetings and Events Australia National Conference 30 April-2 May 2017 ICC Sydney.
- Ferdinand, N., 2016. London meets Port-of-Spain, meets Kingston, meets Rio. In: Rio/London: A Tale of Two (Postcolonial) Cities 27 May 2016 King's College London.
- Ferdinand, N., 2016. Towards a Carnival Entrepreneurship Curriculum. In: Celebrate!: The compelling case for carnival learning 29-30 April 2016 Portsmouth Guildhall, Portsmouth.
- Ferdinand, N., 2015. Behind the Bacchanal: Using Actor Network Theory to Unravel Notting Hill Carnival Politics. In: Carnaval et Politique: Colloque International 13-14 February 2015 Paris Diderot University.
- Ferdinand, N. and Postma, A., 2014. Future Scenarios for the Notting Hill Carnival. In: The Fifth Biennial Steelpan Conference: The Profound Influence of Caribbean Carnival Art Forms, Steelpan, Calypso and Masquerade within the Diaspora and the Wider World 11 October 2014-12 September 2015 University of East Londn.
- Connell, J., Page, S. and Ferdinand, N., 2013. Seasonality and visitor attractions: The role of special events in the off-peak. In: Making Waves: Association of Event Management Educators 3-5 July 2013 Bournemouth.
- Williams, N., Croft, R. and Ferdinand, N., 2013. Do you have a 3-D Event Evaluation: Bridging the variable/value gap in festival evaluation using twitter. In: Making Waves: International Conference on Events 3-5 July 2013 Bournemouth.
- Edwards, S. and Ferdinand, N., 2012. The exportation of event expertise: Taking best practice to international markets in the MICE Sector. In: CHME 21st Annual Research Conference 9-10 May 2012 Birmingham.
- Ferdinand, N. and Williams, N.L., 2010. Festival internationalization: Towards a network interpretation. In: Global Events Congress IV: Festivals & Events Research: State of the Art 14-16 July 2010 Leeds. Leeds: Leeds Metropolitan University.
- Ferdinand, N., 2008. The benefits of using of student volunteers for small businesses in the events industry: The use of student volunteers at Concert Live. In: 17th Annual CHME Research Conference 14-16 May 2008 Glasgow. Glasgow: The Scottish Hotel School, University of Strathclyde.
- Ferdinand, N., 2007. Lessons from the Experience Economy: The Use of Online Communities to Transform the Teaching and Learning Experience. In: Extraordinary Experiences Conferences: Managing The Consumer Experience in Hospitality, Leisure, Sport, Tourism, Retail and Events 3-4 September 2007 Bournemouth.
- Ferdinand, N., 2014. Mas: A Technical Description. Trinidad and Tobago: National Carnival Commission of Trinidad and Tobago. Available from: http://www.ncctt.org/new/images/pdf/Chapter%20III%20The%20Mas%20Industry%20of%20Trinidad%20and%20Tobago.pdf.
- Gouthro, M., Ferdinand, N. and Postma, A., 2013. Carnival Futures: Notting Hill Carnival 2020. London and Leeuwarden: King's Cultural Institute and European Tourism Futures Institute. Available from: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/cultural/culturalinstitute/showcase/current/kei/curationprogramming/cfreport.pdf.
- Hassan Aideed, 2020. Exploring the local community perceptions of socio-cultural tourism impacts: A case study of attendees to the Salalah Tourism Festival, Salalah city, Oman
Profile of Teaching PG
- Events Management
Profile of Teaching UG
- International Events Management
- International Strategic Marketing
- Strategy and Change Management
Ambush Marketing and Event Evaluation, Haaga Helia University, 19 Mar 2013 more
International Events Management Taster Session for Haaga Helia University, Porvoo Campus, Finland, March 19th 2013
Improve Your Communication Skills, Porvoo, Finland, 10 Mar 2016 more
Guest Lecture on Inter-cultural Communication Skills for Haaga Helia University of Applied Sciences, Porvoo Campus, Finland, March 10th 2016
Educating & Training Future Meeting Professionals, Porvoo, Finland, 12 May 2016 more
Industry Lecture on Future Education and Training Needs for Meeting Professionals International Finland, Haaga Helia University of Applied Sciences, Porvoo, Finland, May 12th 2016
Capturing Event Impacts, Sussex University, 13 Jun 2017 more
Capturing Event Impacts by Developing an Event Profile for the Sussex Impact Day, University of Sussex, Attenborough Centre for the Creative Arts (ACCA), June 13th 2017
The Internationalization of an Art Form, Victoria and Albert Museum, 08 Oct 2017 more
The Internationalization of an Art Form: The Trinidad Carnival as a Cultural Export for the Out of Many One Caribbean Carnival Festival, Victoria and Albert Museum, October 8th 2017
- Teaching Mobility Grant for Visit to Haaga Helia University of Applied Sciences, Porvoo, Finland (Erasmus, 09 May 2016). Completed
- Cultural Events Impact Monitor (BU Fusion Fund, 02 Sep 2013). Completed
- Carnival Futures: Notting Hill Carnival 2020 (Creative Futures fund, King's Cultural Institute, King's College London, 01 May 2013). Completed
- Entrepreneurial Legacies of the Notting Hill Carnival (Arts and Humanities Research Institute , King's College London, 01 May 2012). Completed
- MSc in Marketing (University of the West Indies, St. Augustine Campus, 2004)
- BA (Hons) in English Literature (University of the West Indies, St. Augustine Campus, 2000)
- PhD in Culture, Media and Creative Industries (King's College, London, 2015)
- Journal Paper of the Year Award Second Place for "Community Crosstalk: An Exploratory Analysis of Destination and Festival EWOM (International Federation for IT and Travel Tourism, 2016)
- AM2014 Events & Experiential Marketing Best Paper in Track Prize with co-authors Dr Nigel Williams, Dr Alessandro Inversini and Prof. Dimitrios Buhalis for Social Media and Festivals as Destination Marketing Tool: A study on Twitter Conversations sponsored by Wiley (Academy of Marketing, 2014)
- First Place Sustainable Development Faculty Competition (Bournemouth University Centre for Excellence in Learning and Education, 2016)
- European Tourism Futures Research Institute, Member (2011-), http://www.etfi.eu/
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2008-),
External Media and Press
- Notting Hill Carnival to undergo in-depth review, Event Magazine, 13 Sep 2013. http://www.eventmagazine.co.uk/notting-hill-carnival-undergo-in-depth-review/article/1211804
- Notting Hill Carnival is one of Trinidad's greatest exports, The Conversation, 26 Aug 2013. https://theconversation.com/notting-hill-carnival-is-one-of-trinidads-greatest-exports-17452
- Carnival Futures: Notting Hill Carnival 2020 is Launched, UK Soca Scene, 17 Nov 2013. http://www.uksocascene.com/soca-news/notting-hill-carnival-futures-newsletter/
- Notting Hill Facing the Future, Soca News, 18 Nov 2013. http://webmail.socanews.com/news/notting-hill-facing-the-future/
- New voices and new opportunities at Celebrate! conference, Soca News, 30 Mar 2016. http://socanews.com/news/new-voices-and-new-opportunities-at-celebrate-conference/
- The Ultimate Conference for the Australian Event Industry - Program Launch, Spice News Australia, 01 Feb 2017. http://spicenews.com.au/2017/02/ultimate-conference-australian-event-industry-program-launch/?alist_states=wa
- MEA Reboot, ExecutivePA, Australia, 12 Mar 2017. https://www.executivepa.com.au/mea-reboot/
- Carnival of Resistance and Resilience: How Notting Hill Can Help the People of Grenfell Heal, Telsur, Venezuela, 27 Aug 2017. https://www.telesurtv.net/english/analysis/Carnival-of-Resistance-and-Resilience-How-Notting-Hill-Can-Help-the-People-of-Grenfell-Heal-20170825-0022.html