Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Nick Johns BSc, PhD
University of Surrey BSc 1967; Loughborough University 1972
Customer satisfaction, Service quality, Service industries, Quantitative and Qualitative methodologies
Dr Johns has many years’ experience in teaching service management, service operations and research methods (both quantitative and qualitative) in higher education, in Switzerland, the UK, Scandinavia and Hong Kong. He also has extensive experience of academic management in higher education in the UK and in Switzerland. This includes delivering, developing and managing degree, diploma and masters programmes, leading accreditation and QA initiatives (with US, as well as UK accrediting organisations), managing and leading faculty. Dr Johns has a track record in research and his publications appear in most of the authoritative journals in the field. He has also been consistently successful in attracting funding and managing projects for the organisations with which he has worked. During the period 1998-2003 he worked as a consultant, teaching, leading research and developing staff at several institutions in four different countries... He speaks fluent German and has a working knowledge of Spanish, French and Danish.more
- Birch, D., Memery, J., Johns, N. and Musarskaya, M., 2018. Stimulating UK Adolescents’ Seafood Consumption. Journal of International Food and Agribusiness Marketing, 30 (1), 61-69.
- Page, S.J., Hartwell, H., Johns, N., Fyall, A., Ladkin, A. and Hemingway, A., 2017. Case study: Wellness, tourism and small business development in a UK coastal resort: Public engagement in practice. TOURISM MANAGEMENT, 60, 466-477.
- Hartwell, H., Johns, N. and Edwards, J.S.A., 2016. E-menus-Managing choice options in hospital foodservice. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT, 53, 12-16.
- Hartwell, H.J., Shepherd, P.A., Edwards, J.S.A. and Johns, N., 2016. What do patients value in the hospital meal experience? APPETITE, 96, 293-298.
- Osman, H., Johns, N. and Lugosi, P., 2014. Commercial hospitality in destination experiences: McDonald's and tourists' consumption of space. Tourism Management, 42, 238-247.
- Johns, N., Edwards, J.S.A. and Hartwell, H.J., 2013. Hungry in hospital, well-fed in prison? A comparative analysis of food service systems. Appetite, 68, 45-50.
- Johns, N., Edwards, J.S.A. and Hartwell, H.J., 2013. Menu Choice: Satisfaction or Overload? Journal of Culinary Science and Technology, 11 (3), 275-285.
- Hunt, L. and Johns, N., 2013. Image, place and nostalgia in hospitality branding and marketing. Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, 5 (1), 14-26.
- Johns, N., 2011. Chefs and salt: some worrying dietary trends. PERSPECTIVES IN PUBLIC HEALTH, 131 (6), 254-255.
- Jessri, M., Mirmiran, P., Jessri, M., Johns, N., Rashidkhani, B., Amiri, P., Barfmal, N. and Azizi, F., 2011. A qualitative difference. Patients' views of hospital food service in Iran. Appetite, 57 (2), 530-533.
- Osman, H. and Johns, N., 2011. Travellers and McDonald's abroad. Hospitality Review, 13.
- Johns, N., Edwards, J. and Hartwell, H., 2011. Food neophobia and the adoption of new food products. Nutrition & Food Science, 41, 201-209.
- Bray, J.P., Johns, N. and Kilburn, D., 2011. An Exploratory Study into the Factors Impeding Ethical Consumption. Journal of Business Ethics, 98 (4), 597-608.
- Johns, N., Hartwell, H. and Morgan, M., 2010. Improving the provision of meals in hospital. The patients’ view point. Appetite, 54, 181-185.
- Johns, N. and Henwood, J., 2009. Building reflective practitioners on business programmes: An action research study. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Education, 8 (1), 20-36.
- Gyimothy, S. and Johns, N., 2008. Assessing the Brand Position of Danish Kros. Journal Of Vacation Marketing, 14, 267-281.
- Johns, N. and Lynch, P., 2007. The Self-Catering Accommodation Market: A Review of Electronic and Other Sources. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 26, 293-309.
- Johns, N., 2007. Culture and Service Predisposition Among Hospitality Students in Switzerland and Scotland. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 19, 146-158.
- Johns, N. and Henwood, J., 2006. Tracking Student Satisfaction in an Uncertain Education Market. Tourism, 54, 345-353.
- Johns, N. and Mattsson, J., 2005. Destination Development Through Entrepreneurship: A Comparison of Two Cases. Tourism Management, 26, 605-616.
- Johns, N., Avic, T. and Karatepe, O.M., 2004. Measuring Service Quality of Travel Agents: Evidence From Northern Cyprus. Service Industries Journal, 24, 82-100.
- Morrison, A., Lynch, P. and Johns, N., 2004. International Tourism Networks. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 16, 197-202.
- Johns, N., Chan, A. and Yeung, H., 2003. The Impact of Chinese Culture on Service Predisposition. The Service Industries Journal, 23, 107-122.
- Johns, N. and Gyimothy, S., 2003. Postmodern Family Tourism at Legoland. Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 3, 3-23.
- Waser, H. and Johns, N., 2003. An Evaluation of Action Research as a Vehicle for Individual and Organisational Development in the Hotel Industry. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 22, 373-393.
- Johns, N. and Kivela, J., 2003. Restaurants, Gastronomy And Tourists: A Novel Method for Investigating Tourists’ Dining Out Experiences. Tourism, 51, 3-20.
- Johns, N. and Pine, R., 2002. Consumer Behaviour in the Food Service Industry: A Review. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 21, 119-134.
- Johns, N. and Gyimothy, S., 2002. Market Segmentation and the Prediction of Tourist Behavior: The Case of Bornholm, Denmark. Journal of Travel Research, 40, 316-327.
- Johns, N. and Gyimothy, S., 2002. Mythologies of a Theme Park: An Icon of Modern Family Life. Journal Of Vacation Marketing, 8, 320-331.
- Johns, N., 2001. Mythological Analysis of Boating Tourism. Annals of Tourism Research, 28, 334-359.
- Johns, N., 2001. Importance-Performance Analysis Using the Profile Accumulation Technique. The Service Industries Journal, 21, 49-63.
- Johns, N. and Kivela, J., 2001. Perceptions of the First Time Restaurant Customer. Food Service Technology, 1, 5-11.
- Johns, N., Lee-Ross, D. and Tyas, P., 2000. SERVQUAL and PAT: Alternative disconfirmation approaches to the measurement of service quality in the foodservice industry. Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality and Tourism, 1 (1), 13-29.
- Teare, R. and Johns, N., 1995. Change, opportunity and the new operations management curriculum. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 7 (5), 4-8.
- Johns, N. and Gyimothy, S., 2003. Varemærket Kro: Danske Kroers Brand Mytologi. Bornholm, Denmark: Center for Regional og Turismeforskning.
- Johns, N. and Mattsson, J., 2003. Managing the Service Encounter in Tourism. In: Kusluvan, S., ed. Managing Employee Attitudes and Behaviors in the Tourism and Hospitality Industry. New York: Nova Biomedical, 173-200.
- Lee-Ross, D. and Johns, N., 2001. Globalisation, Total Quality Management and Service in Tourism Destination Organizations. In: Wahab, S. and Cooper, C., eds. Tourism in the Age of Globalisation. London: Routledge, 242-257.
- Johns, N., 2001. Computerized Yield Management Systems: Lessons From the Airline Industry. In: Ingold, A., McMahon Beattie, U. and Yeoman, I., eds. Yield Management: Strategies for the Service Industries. London: Thomson Learning, 140-148.
- Gyimothy, S. and Johns, N., 2001. Developing the Role of Quality. In: Drummond, S. and Yeoman, I., eds. Quality Issues in Heritage Visitor Attractions. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann, 243-266.
- Johns, N. and Hoseason, J., 2000. Which Way for Heritage Visitor Attractions? In: Drummond, S. and Yeoman, I., eds. Quality Issues in Heritage Visitor Attractions. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann, 222-242.
- Bray, J., Memery, J. and Johns, N., 2017. Rethinking ethical decision-making: revealing the ‘ethical red line’ and ‘ethical clouding’ in consumer clothing purchases. In: European Association for the Education and Research in Commercial Distribution 4-6 July 2017 Dublin.
- Birch, D., Memery, J., Johns, N. and Musarskaya, M., 2017. An Investigation into UK Adolescents Seafood Consumption. In: International Food Marketing Research Symposium 14-16 June 2017 Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Osman, H. and Johns, N., 2010. The Role of the Global Fast Food Chains in Tourism: A Qualitative Internet-Based Study. In: 8th Biennial International Qualitative Research Conference 6-8 September 2010 Bournemouth University, England. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Bray, J.P., 2009. An Exploratory Study into the Factors Impeding Ethical Consumerism. In: European Association for the Education and Research in Commercial Distribution Annual Conference 15-18 July 2009 Guilford, UK.
- Johns, N. and Osman, H., 2009. Am I lovin’ it? Tourists and the McDonald’s experience abroad. In: 3rd Advances in Tourism Marketing Conference 6-9 September 2009 Bournemouth University, England. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Johns, N. and Henwood, J., 2008. Learning Together: A Strategy for Developing Staff and Students as Reflective Practitioners. In: CHME Research Conference 14-16 May 2008 Strathclyde University, Glasgow.
- Hartwell, H., Johns, N., Morgan, M. and Henwood, J., 2008. Evaluating the Patient Experience: Using Profile Accumulation Technique (PAT). In: ICCAS 08: Sixth International Conference on Culinary Arts and Sciences -Global, National and Local Perspectives 23-27 June 2008 Norwegian School of Hotel Management, University of Stavanger, Norway.
- Johns, N. and Hartwell, H., 2008. An Examination of Emotional Aspects of Hospital Patient Feeding Using Profile Accumulation Technique. In: 26th EuroCHRIE Research Conference 2008: "Building a Legacy, Living the Dream: 2020 Vision for Hospitality and Tourism" 11-14 October 2008 Emirates Academy, Dubai.
- Johns, N. and Henwood, J., 2006. Service Predisposition and Cultural Values: A Study with International Hospitality Students. In: Fifteenth CHME Research Conference April 2006 Nottingham Trent University, England.
- Johns, N., Henwood, J. and Seaman, C., 2006. Cultural Values and Service Predisposition: A Comparative Study of Hospitality Students and Service Workers. In: 24th EuroCHRIE Conference 2006: In Search of Excellence for Tomorrow’s Tourism, Travel and Hospitality 25-28 October 2006 Makedonia Palace Hotel, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Johns, N. and Henwood, J., 2005. Assessing the Student’s Whole Experience at a Residential School. In: NEASC Conference on Assessment and Educational Quality October 2005 Boston, USA.
- Johns, N., Henwood, J. and Prince, D., 2005. Tracking Student Satisfaction in an Uncertain Education Market. In: EuroCHRIE Conference October 2005 Paris, France.
- Johns, N. and Gyimothy, S., 2003. Stone the Kros: Images of Danish Inns. In: 12th CHME Research Conference 23-24 April 2003 Sheffield, England.
- Johns, N. and Hoseason, J., 2003. Gravity Modeling and the Doughnut Effect. In: Building International Recognition: EuroCHRIE Congress 2003 22-25 October 2003 International University of Applied Sciences, Bad Honnef, Germany.
- Johns, N., Kivela, J. and Chu, C., 2002. Approaches to Studying Consumer Behaviour in the Hospitality Industry. In: Cross Cultural Challenges in the Tourism Industry: The Educational Answers: EuroCHRIE 2002 Congress 30 October-2 November 2002 ESADE Barcelona, Spain.
- Gyimothy, S. and Johns, N., 2002. An Assessment of Guest Perceptions of Small Hotels Using Brand Mythologies. In: 11th Nordic Symposium in Tourism and Hospitality Research 14-17 November 2002 Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Johns, N. and Kivela, J., 2001. Perceptions of the First Time Restaurant Customer. In: ICCAS 01:Third International Conference of Culinary Arts and Sciences April 2001 University of Cairo, Egypt.
- Johns, N. and Gyimothy, S., 2001. Mythological Analysis of Visitor Images in Legoland, Billund. In: 10th Nordic Tourism Research Conference 18-20 October 2001 Vaasa, Finland.