- 01202 965657
- nolanw at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer (Academic) Broadcasting and Digital Creative Industries
- Weymouth House W212, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
In 2006 I was invited back to the Coláiste Dhúlaigh Dublin to "teach". I had graduated from their Communications and Media course in 2003 having taken full advantage of the equipment, opportunities and expertise of the staff to kick start a career in Production and Broadcast Playout . I would never have guessed the journey, being a student and educator at that brilliant college, would send me on. A journey I continue, and am proud to share with my students, today.
I have worked on everything from Children's Television, to Factual, Fiction and Live Theatre AV. (Most paid hours being on camera and edit... man I miss FCP Studio 7!). I also have seven years Broadcast Playout experience to Senior level for clients including Disney, ESPN, Sony and Setanta Sports.
For better or worse media is everywhere. For me, being involved with media and media education means living at a crossroads where technology meets creativity and potential. That's why I love it. That's why I am still involved and that's what I want to share and explore with people anywhere... Once my Doctorate is complete I fully aim to get back to production projects. (If you have any ideas for collaboration give me a shout on email@example.com).more
I am currently in the data analysis and write up stage of the EdD Creative and Media through CEMP at Bournemouth University.
I am exploring the experiences of first generation students in media education through pattern matching collected data to Mezirow's (1978) Perspective Transformation theories. The data was collected as moving images.
If you have an interest in Transformative Learning , Widening Participation and course design give me a holler on firstname.lastname@example.org for chats and banter.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Digital Film L4 (UG) Unit Leader (60) 10wks, 3 assessments (this unit runs twice, Sem 1 and again in Sem 2)
- Work in The Media Industries L5 UL (120) 10wks 2 assessments
- Factual: Form and Content L5 (UG) Unit Leader (120) 10wks Two Assessments
- Career Planning L6 (UG) Unit Leader (120) 10wks Two Assessments
- The Graduate Production Project L6 (UG) Supervisor (10 students, 5hrs per students over 4 months)
- Fiction: Form and Content L5 (120) 4wks Lectures and Two Assessments
- Ideas Development and Research L6 (UG) Unit Leader (120) 10wks Two Assessments
- A Digital Phenomenological study of first generation students in higher creative and media education to generate empirical evidence of perspective transformation. (Solent University, 05 Jan 2015). Awarded
- CELebrate, Panopto for Assessment Brief Dissemination, Feedback and other things., 13 Jun 2017, BU Talbot Campus
- Media Education Summit 2015, PonderLogic and how I arrived at :Craft Enhanced Research" and "Craft Informed Teaching", 20 Sep 2015, Boston
- Symposium CFP: The Audio-Visual/Video Essay in Teaching & Research, PonderLogic: An Audio-visual essay pilot., 19 May 2015, University of East Anglia
- Research and Innovation, Ponderlogic: Video Ethnography, 15 May 2015, Southampton Solent University
- Adult MHFA 2 Day Course, 06 Jul 2017, Certificate
- Carbon Literacy Project, 14 Feb 2017, Certificate from BAFTA Albert Consortium
- Safe Management of Productions with 1st Option, 15 Sep 2016
- BUFVC Sourcing Media Resources, 10 Dec 2015
- BUFVC Can I do this? Copyright, Licensing & Best Practice, 09 Dec 2015
- AVID Protools 110, 20 May 2015, Certificate
- Autoethnography: Learning from Stories at the University of Brighton, 13 May 2015
- AVID Protools 101, 18 Mar 2015, Certificate
- EdD in Creative and Media Production (BU, 2020)
- PGCE in Teaching & Learning in Higher Education (Southampton Solent University, 2015)
- MA in Documentary Practice (University of Ulster, 2010)
- BA (Hons) in Digital Media (University of Wolverhampton, 2004)
- Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association (MeCCSA), Member (2016-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2015-),