- oalmilaji at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Clinical Trials
- Decision Making
- Health information
- Healthcare Research
- Human-computer interaction
- Machine learning
- Medical device
- Public health
- Quantitative methodology
- Software systems
- Time Series Analysis
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Orouba is a Statistician interested in cancer research. In her PhD, Orouba is studying the association between iron deficiency anaemia (IDA) and gastrointestinal cancer (GI).
In her PhD study, Orouba is identifying sub-groups of IDA patients who are at increased/lower risk of GI. Identifying such sub-groups of IDA patients might lead to changes in clinical practice; so for instance, IDA patients who are at minimal risk of GI, may not need to have invasive investigations done. One of the outcomes of Orouba PhD study is to develop an app which would help healthcare professionals to make clinical decisions that relate to the future management of iron deficient patients. The digital application could be used by any IDA clinic, to predict the gastrointestinal cancers risk based on a small number of predictors (age, gender, Hb, MCV, Ferritin, and transferrin saturation).
Orouba also is interested in the preparation, linkage, and analysis of big data. And in the development of risk prediction applications...
Orouba was working in 2019 as a research assistant at King’s College London in “Studying Effects of Mobilisation Timing on Outcomes of Hip Fracture from HQIP Audit Data, and English/Welsh Hospitalisation” project. She was rehired by King's College London in 2020 to work on a new project; "Outcomes after Hip Fracture by Duration, Frequency and Type of Rehabilitation: Linked Chartered Society of Physiotherapy ‘Hip Sprint’ Audit Analysis ". She is also an honorary research fellow in Poole hospital since 2017.
Before joining Bournemouth University, Orouba was working as an enterprise admin advisor at Apple headquarters in Hollyhill Cork, Ireland, in a permanent full time capacity. In the past, Orouba has worked as a Market Analyst in the Facebook headquarters in Dublin Ireland, as a Maths teacher and SQL database demonstrator in Manchester, and as a Statistics lecturer assistant and Head of students’ cultural activities in Aleppo University.more
- Sheehan, K., Goubar, A., Almilaji, O., Finbarr, M., Potter, C., Gareth, J., Sackley, C. and Ayis, S., 2020. Discharge after hip fracture surgery by mobilisation timing: secondary analysis of the UK National Hip Fracture Database. Age and Ageing.
- Stone, H., Almilaji, O., John, C., Smith, C., Surgenor, S., Ayres, L., Williams, E. and Snook, J., 2020. The dedicated iron deficiency anaemia clinic – a fifteen-year experience. Frontline Gastroenterology.
- Khaled, K., Tsofliou, F., Hundley, V., Helmreich, R. and Almilaji, O., 2020. Perceived stress and diet quality in women of reproductive age: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Nutrition Journal, 19.
- Almilaji, O., Smith, C., Surgenor, S., Clegg, A., Williams, E., Thomas, P. and Snook, J., 2020. Refinement and validation of the IDIOM score for predicting the risk of gastrointestinal cancer in iron deficiency anaemia. BMJ Open Gastroenterology, 7 (1).
- Stroud, C., Almilaji, O., Nicholas, D., Kirkham, S., Surgenor, S.L., Williams, I. and Snook, J., 2019. Evolving patterns in the presentation of coeliac disease over the last 25 years. Frontline Gastroenterology.
- Bennett, K.H., Almilaji, O. et al., 2003. A broker architecture for integrating data using a web services environment. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 2910, 409-422.
- Arvanitidou, E.I., Almilaji, O., Wood, J. and Tsofliou, F., 2020. The effectiveness of couples’ lifestyle interventions (Randomised Controlled Trials) on weight change: A systematic review and meta-analysis. In: European and International Congress on Obesity (ecoico2020) 1-4 September 2020 online.
- Almilaji, O., Engen, V., Snook, J. and Thomas, P., 2020. The development of a web-based application to predict the risk of GI cancer in IDA. In: BSG2020 8-11 February 2021 Liverpool.
- Almilaji, O., Parry, S., Thomas, P. and Snook, J., 2020. Downstaging of right-sided colorectal cancer diagnosed through iron deficiency anaemia. In: BSG 2020 8-11 February 2021 Liverpool.
- Khaled, K., Almilaji, O., Köppen, M., Hundley, V. and Tsofliou, F., 2019. The association between a priori and a posterior dietary patterns with perceived stress in women of childbearing age. In: The 13th Federation of European Nutrition Societies FENS European Nutrition Conference 2019: Malnutrition in an Obese World: European Perspectives 15-18 October 2019 Conventional Center Dublin.
- Almilaji, O., 2019. Predicting the risk of gastro-intestinal cancer in iron deficiency anaemia. In: BSG2019 17-20 June 2019 Glasgow. BMJ.
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- COVID 19 seminar series, June 2020, Faculty of Life Science and Medicine, King’s College London
- FHSS Research Seminar Series Nutrition Department organised for the MSc students, Feb 2020, Bournemouth University
- Gastrointestinal Departmental Clinical Governance Meeting, Oct 2019, Poole Hospital
- Transform Healthcare through innovation, Apr 2019, Bournemouth University
- FHSS Research Seminar Series BUCRU Digital Health, Feb 2019, Bournemouth University
- Gastrointestinal Departmental Clinical Governance Meeting, Dec 2018, Poole Hospital
- CoPMRE Visiting Faculty Day, May 2018, Executive Business Centre, Bournemouth University
- British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG) conference, Jun 2019, Glasgow
- Essential Guide to Grant Applications (EGGA), Oct 2019, Oxford University
- NHS data security awareness, Oct 2019, Poole Hospital
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Jan 2019, King’s college London
- Electronic Patient Records (EPR), Oct 2017, Poole Hospital
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP), Nov 2017, Poole Hospital
- Information Governance (IG), Sep 2017, Poole Hospital
- Writing academy at Highcliff Marriott Hotel, Jan 2019, Bournemouth University
- Systematic review masterclass, Jan 2018, Bournemouth University.
- NHS Trust Induction , Nov 2017, Poole Hospital
- Writing Bootcamp, Jun 2018, Bournemouth University
- MSc in Statistics (School of Mathematics and Statistics, UCD, Dublin, Ireland, 2017)
- MSc in Computation (Department of Computation, UMIST, Manchester, UK, 2002)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics and Computing (Statistics Department, Aleppo University, Aleppo, Syria, 1999)
- BSc (Hons) First Class in Statistics Department (Aleppo University, Aleppo, Syria, 1997)
- Basel Al-Assad Award for Academic Excellence, First Rank Graduate. (Ministry of Higher Education - Syria, 1997)
- British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG), Member (2019-),
- Higher Education Academy (HEA), Associate Fellow (AFHEA) (2019-),
- Association for Computing Machinery’s (ACM) Special Interest Group on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (SIGKDD), Member,
- Royal Statistics Society (RSS), Graduate Statistician (GradStat) fellow,