Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a part-time University Practice Learning Adviser (UPLA) and Lecturer at Bournemouth University.
My current UPLA role focuses on supporting practice colleagues to provide a high quality learning experience in practice placements. As part of this role I mainly support the Physician Associate Programme, Return to Practice and Trainee Nurse Associate Courses..
My Lecturing role involves supporting the new Physician's Associate Studies programme with my medical colleagues.
Upon qualification in 1988 I worked within a variety of clinical areas including recovery, critical care, telephone triage and community nursing. I started my career in nurse education as a Practice Educator for critical care, A&E and orthopaedics in a local acute Trust. Upon completion of a Master’s Degree in Health and Social Care Practice Education I was appointed as a lecturer and UPLA at Bournemouth University for the overseas and pre-registration nursing courses.
My key areas of interest are nursing practice, nurse and medical education, primary care, anatomy, respiratory and critical care.
- Bevan, A.L., Joy, R., Keeley, S. and Brown, P., 2015. Learning to nurse: Combining simulation with key theory. British Journal of Nursing, 24 (15), 781-785.
- Turner- Wilson, A.L., Keeley, S., Brown, P., Jordan, G. and Wood, C., 2013. Festival of Learning showcases the History of Nursing. The Bulletin of the UK Association for the History of Nursing, 2 (52).
- Turner-Wilson, A.L., Keeley, S., Brown, P., Jordan, G. and Wood, C., 2013. Festival of Learning showcases the History of Nursing. The Bulletin of the UK Association for the History of Nursing, 2, 52.
- Jordan, G. and Brown, P., 2011. '20 days protected learning' - students' experiences of an Overseas Nurses Programme - 4 years on: A retrospective survey. BMC Nursing, 10, 7.
- Brown, P., 2018. Disorders of the nervous system. In: Peate, I. and GORMLEY-FLEMING, E., eds. Fundamentals of Children's Applied Pathophysiology An Essential Guide for Nursing and Healthcare Students. John Wiley & Sons, 159-178.
- Brown, P., 2015. The Nervous System. Chapter 15 in Fundamentals of Children's Anatomy and Physiology. In: Peate, I. and Gormley-Fleming, E., eds. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Scammell, J., Donaldson, I., White, S., Tait, D., Ryden, J., Brown, P. and Stainer, L., 2017. Role of class size on student learning and staff satisfaction: a mixed method study. In: NET2017: Networking for Education in Healthcare 5-6 September 2017 Churchill College, Cambridge.
- Keeley, S., 2014. The value of alignment: integrating anatomy physiology and practice simulation into an acredited unit. In: 25th Networking for healthcare education conference 2-4 September 2014 Churchill college, Cambridge.
- Brown, P. and Jordan, G., 2008. Students’ Experience of an Overseas Nurses Programme. In: 9th RCN Joint Education Forum: Partners in Practice conference 21-22 February 2008 Blackpool, England.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Introduction to General Medicine for the Physician Associate
- Emergency Care for the Physician Associate
- Mental Health for the Physician Associate
- Women’s Health for the Physician Associate
- Paediatrics for the Physician Associate
- Primary Care for the Physician Associate
- Exploring and Evaluating Evidence
- Critically reviewing practice for the Physician Associate
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Volunteer Playworker - Turn Up For Fun (TUFF). Delivering quality open access play and family related activities in the local community. https://sites.google.com/site/turnupforfun/for-practitioners
- MA in Health & Social Care Practice Education (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- BSc (Hons) in Nursing (Critical Care) (Bournemouth University, 2003)
- DPSN in Professional Studies in Nursing (Bournemouth University, 1997)
- RN in Registered Nurse (General) (1991)