Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am a University Practice Learning Adviser at Bournemouth University. Upon qualification in 1988 I worked within a variety of clinical areas including recovery, critical care, telephone triage and community nursing. I started my career in nurse education as a Practice Educator for critical care, A&E and orthopaedics in a local acute Trust. I have completed a Master’s Degree in Health and Social Care Practice Education and was appointed as a lecturer and UPLA at Bournemouth University on the overseas and pre-registration nursing courses.
My key areas of interest are nursing practice, nurse education, practice development, anatomy, respiratory and critical care. My current role focuses on supporting practice colleagues to provide a high quality learning experience in practice placements.
- Bevan, A.L., Joy, R., Keeley, S. and Brown, P., 2015. Learning to nurse: Combining simulation with key theory. British Journal of Nursing, 24 (15), 781-785.
- Turner-Wilson, A.L., Keeley, S., Brown, P., Jordan, G. and Wood, C., 2013. Festival of Learning showcases the History of Nursing. The Bulletin of the UK Association for the History of Nursing, 2, 52.
- Jordan, G. and Brown, P., 2011. '20 days protected learning' - students' experiences of an Overseas Nurses Programme - 4 years on: A retrospective survey. BMC Nursing, 10, 7.
- Brown, P., 2015. The Nervous System. Chapter 15 in Fundamentals of Children's Anatomy and Physiology.. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Scammell, J., Donaldson, I., White, S., Tait, D., Ryden, J., Brown, P. and Stainer, L., 2017. Role of class size on student learning and staff satisfaction: a mixed method study. In: NET2017: Networking for Education in Healthcare 5-6 September 2017 Churchill College, Cambridge.
- Joy, R., Bevan, A., Keeley, S. and Brown, P., 2014. The value of alignment: Integrating anatomy, physiology and prctice simulation into an accredited unit. In: The 25th International Networking for Healthcare Education 2-4 September 2014 Churchill College. University of Cambridge UK.
- Brown, P. and Jordan, G., 2008. Students’ Experience of an Overseas Nurses Programme. In: 9th RCN Joint Education Forum: Partners in Practice conference 21-22 February 2008 Blackpool, England.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Learning and Assessing in Practice Unit
Profile of Teaching UG
- Anatomy and Pathophysiology During the Lifespan
- Care of Clients with Chronic and Long Term Conditions
- Managing Complex Conditions
- Fundamental Communication Skills
- Therapeutic Communication
- Identifying, Developing and Evalauting Knowledge for Practice Units
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Volunteer Playworker - Turn Up For Fun (TUFF). Delivering quality open access play and family related activities in the local community. https://sites.google.com/site/turnupforfun/for-practitioners
- MA in Health & Social Care Practice Education (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- BSc (Hons) in Nursing (Critical Care) (Bournemouth University, 2003)
- DPSN in Professional Studies in Nursing (Bournemouth University, 1997)
- RN in Registered Nurse (General) (1991)