Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a public health researcher with interest in epidemiology, mixed-methods, maternal health, sexual and reproductive health, mental health, migration health and health services research as a result of working in various projects in different countries. In the past I have worked as a lecturer of public health, public health officer and medical laboratory technologist. I also have a strong track record of publications, experience of peer reviewing articles for journals such as PLOS and BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, and have been involved in grant writing.
I currently work part-time as a postdoctoral researcher in maternity organisation and culture with Rachel Arnold. Together we are looking at organisational behaviour and culture in the NHS. We are using a mixed-methods approach to investigate how culture can create both barriers and opportunities when implementing change in different parts of the maternity services. I am a Research Staff Association Representative for the Faculty of Health and Social Sciences and also working in other projects at Bournemouth University including midwifery education in Nepal and paramedics managing mental health patients.
- Simkhada, P., Mahato, P., Tamang, P., van Teijlingen, E. and Shani, P., 2020. The Role of Health Promotion during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Journal of Health Promotion, 8, 1-4.
- Mahato, P., Tamang, P., Shahi, P., Aryal, N., Regmi, P., van Teijlingen, E. and Simkhada, P., 2020. Effects of COVID-19 during lockdown in Nepal. Europasian Journal of Medical Sciences, 2 (2), 1.
- Mahato, P.K., Sheppard, Z.A., van Teijlingen, E. and De Souza, N., 2020. Factors associated with contraceptive use in rural Nepal: Gender and decision-making. Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare, 24.
- Mahato, P., Van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P., Angell, C. and Hundley, V., 2020. Evaluation of a health promotion intervention associated with birthing centres in rural Nepal. PLoS ONE, 15 (5).
- Dhakal Adhikari, S., van Teijlingen, E., Regmi, P.R., Mahato, P., Simkhada, B. and Simkhada, P.P., 2020. The presentation of academic self in the digital age: the role of electronic databases. International Journal of Social Sciences and Management, 7 (1), 38-41.
- Killingback, C., Drury, D., Mahato, P. and Williams, J., 2020. Student feedback delivery modes: A qualitative study of student and lecturer views. Nurse Education Today, 84.
- van Teijlingen, E., Mahato, P., Simkhada, P., van Teijlingen, C., Asim, M. and Sathian, B., 2019. Vaping and e-cigarettes: A public health warning or a health promotion tool? Nepal J Epidemiol, 9 (4), 792-794.
- Regmi, P.R., van Teijlingen, E., Mahato, P., Aryal, N., Jadhav, N., Simkhada, P., Zahiruddin, Q.S. and Gaidhane, A., 2019. The health of nepali migrants in India: A qualitative study of lifestyles and risks. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16 (19).
- Mahato, P.K. et al., 2018. Qualitative evaluation of mental health training of auxiliary nurse midwives in rural Nepal. Nurse Education Today, 66, 44-50.
- Mahato, P., Angell, C., van Teijlingen, E. and Simkhada, P.P., 2018. Using mixed-methods research in health & education research in Nepal. Journal of Health Promotion, 6 (1), 45-48.
- Mahato, P.K., Waithaka, E., van Teijlingen, E., Pant, P.R. and Biswas, A., 2018. Social autopsy: a potential health-promotion tool for preventing maternal mortality in low-income countries. WHO South-East Asia journal of public health, 7 (1), 24-28.
- van Teijlingen, E., Mahato, P., Simkhada, P., Angell, C. and Mahato, C., 2018. Determinants of quality of care and access to Basic Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care facilities and midwife-led facilities in low and middle-income countries: A Systematic Review. Journal of Asian Midwives, 4 (2), 25-61.
- Mahato, P., Regmi, P., Waithaka, E., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P. and Angell, C., 2018. Health Promotion opportunities for Auxiliary Nurse Midwives in Nepal. Health Prospect: Journal of Public Health, 16 (II), 13-17.
- Mahato, P.K., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P., Sheppard, Z.A. and Silwal, R.C., 2017. Factors related to choice of place of birth in a district in Nepal. Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare, 13, 91-96.
- Mahato, P., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P. and Angell, C., 2016. Birthing centres in Nepal: Recent developments, obstacles and opportunities. Journal of Asian Midwives, 3 (1), 18-30.
- Regmi, P.R., van Teijlingen, E., Hundley, V., Simkhada, P., Sharma, S. and Mahato, P., 2016. Sustainable Development Goals: relevance to maternal and child health in Nepal. Health Prospect: Journal of Public Health, 15 (1), 9-10.
- Mahato, P.K. and Paudel, G.S., 2015. Access to free health-care services for the poor in tertiary hospitals of western Nepal: a descriptive study. WHO South East Asia J Public Health, 4 (2), 167-175.
- Mahato, P.K., Regmi, P.R., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P., Angell, C. and Sathian, B., 2015. Birthing centre infrastructure in Nepal post 2015 earthquake. Nepal Journal of Epidemiology, 5 (4), 518-519.
- Mahato, P.K., Peng, B. and Burgess, T., 2013. Voluntary Counselling and Testing (VCT) services and its role in HIV/AIDS prevention and management in Nepal. South East Asian Journal of Public Health, 3 (1).
- Subedi, S., Mahato, P., Acharya, S. and Kafle, H.P., 2013. Gender roles and practice of decision making on reproductive behaviour among couples of Syangja district Nepal. International Journal of Reproduction, Contraception, Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2 (3).
- Rijal, K.R., 2013. Prevalence of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus in School Children in Pokhara. Nepal Medical College Journal, 10 (3).
- Mahato, P., 2012. Current Tobacco Control Policies in Nepal: Existing gaps and ways forward. Journal of Health and Allied Sciences.
- Amatya, R., Khanal, B., Mahato, P.K. and Shrestha, S., 2011. Aspergillus species in clinical specimen: a seven year prevalence study from eastern Nepal. Nepal Medical College journal : NMCJ, 13 (3), 175-177.
- Rijal, K.R., Dhakal, N., Shah, R.C., Timilsina, S., Mahato, P., Thapa, S. and Ghimire, P., 2009. Antibiotic susceptibility of group A Streptococcus isolated from throat swab culture of school children in Pokhara, Nepal. Nepal Med Coll J, 11 (4), 238-240.
- Nagila, N., Bhatt, M., Paudel, B., Mahato, P., Gurung, D., Prajapati, S., Kumar, A. and Tamrakar, B.K., 2008. Thyroid Stimulating Hormone and its Correlation with Lipid Profile in Obese Nepalese Population. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research.
- Mahato, P., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P., Angell, C., Sheppard, Z. and Silwal, R.C., 2017. Factors affecting health facility delivery in rural Nawalparasi district of Nepal. In: BNAC 15th Nepal Study Days 2017 12-13 April 2017 EBC, Bournemouth University. http://bnac.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/BNAC-NSD-2017-Abstracts.pdf.
- Mahato, P., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P., Angell, C., Sheppard, Z. and Silwal, R.C., 2017. Factors affecting health facility delivery in rural Nawalparasi, Nepal. In: Transforming Lives & Healthcare through Technology 9-10 January 2017 Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences, Deemed University, Wardha, Maharashtra, India. The Journal of Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences University, 11 (4), S128.
- Mahato, P., 2013. Achievements in health promotion activities in Nepal: Scenario post Ottawa Charter Conference. In: First National Health Promotion Conference 30 March-1 April 2013 Kathmandu.
- Mahato, P., Bi, P. and Burgess, T., 2011. Voluntary Counseling and Testing (VCT) services and its role in HIV/AIDS prevention and management in Nepal. In: 2011 State Population Health Conference, Population Health: Working across sections, settings and ages 29 October 2011 Adelaide, South Australia.
- Mahato, P., Paudel, G.S. and Sigdel, R.R., 2013. Study on Utilization of Free Health Services by Target Population in two Tertiary Level Hospitals in Western Region. Pokhara: Western Regional Health Directorate, Nepal Health Sector Support Programme.
- Tamang, P., Mahato, P., van Teijlingen, E. and Simkhada, P., 2020. Pregnancy and COVID-19: Lessons so far. Healthy Newborn Network. Available from: https://www.healthynewbornnetwork.org/blog/pregnancy-and-covid-19-lessons-so-far/.
- PhD Symposium 2019, Public Health Institute, Birthing centres and maternity users in a district in Nepal, 25 Jul 2019, Liverpool
- RCOG World Congress 2018, Study of rural maternity and childbirth care in a southern district of Nepal, 21 Mar 2018, Singapore
- 10th Annual Postgraduate Confereence, Study of rural maternity and childbirth care in a southern district of Nepal, 07 Mar 2018, Bournemouth University
- 3rd Postgraduate Research Student Virtual Scholarly Event "Nursing and Midwifery Research across Europe", Longitudinal study of rural maternity care in southern Nepal, 15 Nov 2017, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- First national health promotion conference, Achievements in health promotion activities in Nepal: Scenario post Ottawa Charter Conference, 30 Mar 2013, Kathmandu, Nepal
- BEYOND BIRTH COHORTS: from study design to data management, 23 Nov 2016, An International Training School funded by the EU ISCH COST Action IS1405 in Building Intrapartum Research Through Health – an interdisciplinary whole
- Strengthening of Routine Health Information System, 23 Sep 2013
- PhD in Maternal and perinatal health (Bournemouth University, 2019)
- MSc in Public Health (University of Adelaide, 2011)
- BSc (Hons) in Medical Laboratory Science (Pokhara University, 2007)
- Bournemouth University VC scholarship (Bournemouth University, 2015)
- Endeavour Postgraduate Award (Australian Government, 2010)