Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a public health researcher with interest in epidemiology, mixed-methods, maternal health, sexual and reproductive health, mental health, migration health and health services research as a result of working in various projects in different countries. In the past I have worked as a lecturer of public health, public health officer and medical laboratory technologist. I also have a strong track record of publications, experience of peer reviewing articles for journals such as PLOS and BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, and have been involved in grant writing.
I currently work part-time as a postdoctoral researcher in maternity organisation and culture with Rachel Arnold. Together we are looking at organisational behaviour and culture in the NHS. We are using a mixed-methods approach to investigate how culture can create both barriers and opportunities when implementing change in different parts of the maternity services. Our study site is Dorchester hospital.
In addition, I am also working in other projects at Bournemouth University including midwifery education in Nepal and paramedics managing mental health patients.
- Mahato, P.K., Sheppard, Z.A., van Teijlingen, E. and De Souza, N., 2020. Factors associated with contraceptive use in rural Nepal: Gender and decision-making. Sex Reprod Healthc, 24, 100507.
- Dhakal Adhikari, S., van Teijlingen, E., Regmi, P.R., Mahato, P., Simkhada, B. and Simkhada, P.P., 2020. The presentation of academic self in the digital age: the role of electronic databases. International Journal of Social Sciences and Management, 7 (1), 38-41.
- Killingback, C., Drury, D., Mahato, P. and Williams, J., 2020. Student feedback delivery modes: A qualitative study of student and lecturer views. Nurse Education Today, 84.
- van Teijlingen, E., Mahato, P., Simkhada, P., van Teijlingen, C., Sathian, B. and Asim, M., 2019. Vaping and e-cigarettes: A public health warning or a health promotion tool? Nepal Journal of Epidemiology, 9 (4), 792-794.
- Regmi, P.R., van Teijlingen, E., Mahato, P., Aryal, N., Jadhav, N., Simkhada, P., Zahiruddin, Q.S. and Gaidhane, A., 2019. The Health of Nepali Migrants in India: A Qualitative Study of Lifestyles and Risks. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16 (19).
- Mahato, P.K. et al., 2018. Qualitative evaluation of mental health training of auxiliary nurse midwives in rural Nepal. Nurse Education Today, 66, 44-50.
- Mahato, P., Angell, C., van Teijlingen, E. and Simkhada, P.P., 2018. Using mixed-methods research in health & education research in Nepal. Journal of Health Promotion, 6 (1), 45-48.
- Mahato, P., Waithaka, E., van Teijlingen, E., Pant, P. and Biswas, A., 2018. Social autopsy: a potential health-promotion tool for preventing maternal mortality in low-income countries. WHO South-East Asia Journal of Public Health, 7 (1), 24-28.
- van Teijlingen, E., Mahato, P., Simkhada, P. and Angell, C., 2018. Determinants of quality of care and access to Basic Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care facilities and midwife-led facilities in low and middle-income countries: A Systematic Review. Journal of Asian Midwives, 4 (2), 25-61.
- Mahato, P., Regmi, P., Waithaka, E., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P. and Angell, C., 2018. Health Promotion opportunities for Auxiliary Nurse Midwives in Nepal. Health Prospect: Journal of Public Health, 16 (II), 13-17.
- Mahato, P., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P., Sheppard, Z. and Silwal, R.C., 2017. Factors related to choice of place of birth in a district in Nepal. Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare, 13, 91-96.
- Mahato, P., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P. and Angell, C., 2016. Birthing centres in Nepal: Recent developments, obstacles and opportunities. Journal of Asian Midwives, 3 (1), 18-30.
- Regmi, P.R., van Teijlingen, E., Hundley, V., Simkhada, P., Sharma, S. and Mahato, P., 2016. Sustainable Development Goals: relevance to maternal and child health in Nepal. Health Prospect: Journal of Public Health, 15 (1), 9-10.
- Mahato, P.K. and Sharma Paudel, G., 2015. Access to free health-care services for the poor in tertiary hospitals of western Nepal: a descriptive study. WHO South-East Asia Journal of Public Health, 4 (2), 167-175.
- Mahato, P.K., Regmi, P.R., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P., Angell, C. and Sathian, B., 2015. Birthing centre infrastructure in Nepal post 2015 earthquake. Nepal Journal of Epidemiology, 5 (4), 518-519.
- Mahato, P.K., Peng, B. and Burgess, T., 2013. Voluntary Counselling and Testing (VCT) services and its role in HIV/AIDS prevention and management in Nepal. South East Asian Journal of Public Health, 3 (1).
- Subedi, S., Mahato, P., Acharya, S. and Kafle, H.P., 2013. Gender roles and practice of decision making on reproductive behaviour among couples of Syangja district Nepal. International Journal of Reproduction, Contraception, Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2 (3).
- Rijal, K.R., 2013. Prevalence of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus in School Children in Pokhara. Nepal Medical College Journal, 10 (3).
- Mahato, P., 2012. Current Tobacco Control Policies in Nepal: Existing gaps and ways forward. Journal of Health and Allied Sciences.
- Amatya, R., Khanal, B., Mahato, P.K. and Shrestha, S., 2011. Aspergillus species in clinical specimen: a seven year prevalence study from eastern Nepal. Nepal Medical College journal : NMCJ, 13 (3), 175-177.
- Nagila, N., Bhatt, M., Paudel, B., Mahato, P., Gurung, D., Prajapati, S., Kumar, A. and Tamrakar, B.K., 2008. Thyroid Stimulating Hormone and its Correlation with Lipid Profile in Obese Nepalese Population. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research.
- Mahato, P., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P., Angell, C., Sheppard, Z. and Silwal, R.C., 2017. Factors affecting health facility delivery in rural Nawalparasi district of Nepal. In: BNAC 15th Nepal Study Days 2017 12-13 April 2017 EBC, Bournemouth University.
- Mahato, P., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P., Angell, C., Sheppard, Z. and Silwal, R.C., 2017. Factors affecting health facility delivery in rural Nawalparasi, Nepal. In: Transforming Lives & Healthcare through Technology 9-10 January 2017 Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences, Deemed University, Wardha, Maharashtra, India. S128.
- Mahato, P., 2013. Achievements in health promotion activities in Nepal: Scenario post Ottawa Charter Conference. In: First National Health Promotion Conference 30 March-1 April 2013 Kathmandu.
- Mahato, P., Bi, P. and Burgess, T., 2011. Voluntary Counseling and Testing (VCT) services and its role in HIV/AIDS prevention and management in Nepal. In: 2011 State Population Health Conference, Population Health: Working across sections, settings and ages 29 October 2011 Adelaide, South Australia.
- Mahato, P., Paudel, G.S. and Sigdel, R.R., 2013. Study on Utilization of Free Health Services by Target Population in two Tertiary Level Hospitals in Western Region. Pokhara: Western Regional Health Directorate, Nepal Health Sector Support Programme.
- PhD Symposium 2019, Public Health Institute, Birthing centres and maternity users in a district in Nepal, 25 Jul 2019, Liverpool
- RCOG World Congress 2018, Study of rural maternity and childbirth care in a southern district of Nepal, 21 Mar 2018, Singapore
- 10th Annual Postgraduate Confereence, Study of rural maternity and childbirth care in a southern district of Nepal, 07 Mar 2018, Bournemouth University
- 3rd Postgraduate Research Student Virtual Scholarly Event "Nursing and Midwifery Research across Europe", Longitudinal study of rural maternity care in southern Nepal, 15 Nov 2017, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- First national health promotion conference, Achievements in health promotion activities in Nepal: Scenario post Ottawa Charter Conference, 30 Mar 2013, Kathmandu, Nepal
- BEYOND BIRTH COHORTS: from study design to data management, 23 Nov 2016, An International Training School funded by the EU ISCH COST Action IS1405 in Building Intrapartum Research Through Health – an interdisciplinary whole
- Strengthening of Routine Health Information System, 23 Sep 2013
- PhD in Maternal and perinatal health (Bournemouth University, 2019)
- MSc in Public Health (University of Adelaide, 2011)
- BSc (Hons) in Medical Laboratory Science (Pokhara University, 2007)
- Bournemouth University VC scholarship (Bournemouth University, 2015)
- Endeavour Postgraduate Award (Australian Government, 2010)