Dr Pawel Surowiec
- 01202 965236
- psurowiec at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer
- Weymouth House W420, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am Senior Lecturer at Bournemouth University. Previously , I acted as Research Fellow at Charles University (2014-16). My work focuses on the interplay between foreign policy, media and public opinion. It particularly focuses on European politics, media landscapes and the practice of propaganda.
I authored ‘Nation Branding, Public Relations and Soft Power: Corporatising Poland’ (2016). My second book is entitled 'Social Media and Politics in Central and Eastern Europe' (2017). I am currently working on my third book, under the working title 'Public Diplomacy During Times of Uncertainty'.
In my research, I am intrigued by questions relating to the colonisation of propaganda to new social spaces, its re-invention, particularly in the context of diplomacy and cyber-space (e.g. digital diplomacy). I merge those research interests with lecturing and consultancy.
In my professional practice, I engage in professoinal publishing for outlets such as 'Convergences'. I also serve academic community in the field of media and communication: in October 2016, I was elected to the ECREA's Executive Board and I act as a Treasurer of this pan-European learned society...
Between 2011-2016, I acted as a visiting scholar at Sorbonne IV in Paris and at other European universities. I also delivered lectures to diplomats and public diplomats in Warsaw, London as well as strategic communicators working for the European Union (EU) and the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO).
I am interested in supervising PhD students in the areas of: political communication, soft power and public diplomacy, political economy of communication and media, post-communist transition and collective identities, and global governance. If you'd like to discuss research proposal, please get in touch.
Apart from lecturing and researching, I enjoy running and good music: I am a member of the Bournemouth Athletic Club and I like to listen to Richard Wagner and Polish Jazz.more
Political communication, political public relations, statecraft and governance of soft power, political economy of media and communication, post-communist transition, global governance
Ongoing research projects include:
1. 'Public Diplomacy During Times of Uncertainty' (with Ilan Manor, University of Oxford): this book project focuses on the ways in which contemporary soft power statecraft is being adapted to disrupting trends in international politics. In particular, it explores the interplay between public diplomacy and the politics of uncertainly. Contemporary in focus, the book problematises key challenges faced by public diplomats and foreign policy makers.
2. Project problematising the contentious relationship between 'Illiberal Democracy and Media'; (co-editing a special issue for 'East European Politics' with Václav Štětka, Loughborough University). Fusing on the region of Central and Eastern Europe, this multi-country analysis aims to reveal the ways in which illiberal tendencies intertwine between politics and hybrid media systems and, if at all, contribute to democratic backsliding in CEE.
3. A study applying the notion of counter-narrative to the analysis of pubic diplomacy and focusing on global reactions of citizens to Donald Trump's foreign policy orientation. The project deals with complexities of the use of social media as a means to political participation in the conduct of foreign policy.
4. Digital diplomacy and soft power in the post Brexit Europe (in development): a comparative study of two states’ statecraft and ways in which digital media technology shapes: a) strategic narratives of public diplomacy; b) institutional changes and changes to the practice of diplomacy; c) civic-ness and engagement with foreign policy issues.
- Surowiec, P. and Long, P., 2020. Hybridity and soft power statecraft. Diplomacy and Statecraft, 31 (1).
- Surowiec, P., Kania-Lundholm, M. and Winiarska-Brodowska, M., 2019. Towards illiberal conditionality? New politics of media regulations in Poland (under review, special issue). East European Politics.
- Surowiec, P., 2018. Re-visiting ‘Solidarność’: propaganda of protest and campaigning of the social movement. Communication, Culture and Critique.
- Štĕtka, V., Surowiec, P. and Mazák, J., 2018. Facebook as an instrument of election campaigning and voters’ engagement: comparing Czechia and Poland. European journal of communication, 1-20.
- Surowiec, P., 2018. Book review: Poland’s new ways of public diplomacy. European review of international studies, 5 (2).
- Stetka, V., Surowiec, P. and Mazák, J., 2018. Facebook as an instrument of election campaigning and voters’ engagement: Comparing Czechia and Poland. European Journal of Communication.
- Surowiec, P., 2017. Post-truth soft power: changing facets of propaganda, kompromat and liberal democracy. Georgetown journal of international affairs, 18 (3), 21-27.
- Surowiec, P., 2017. Is corporatisation of soft power failing strategic communicators? Convergences, 37-38.
- Koc-Michalska, K., Lilleker, D.G., Surowiec, P. and Baranowski, P., 2014. Poland's 2011 online election campaign: new tools, new professionalism, new ways to win votes. Journal of information technology and politics, 11 (2), 186-205.
- Surowiec, P., 2012. Public relations in global cultural contexts: multi-paradigmatic perspectives. Corporate communications: an international journal, 17 (4), 514-516.
- Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., 2017. Social media and politics in Central and Eastern Europe. London: Routledge.
- Surowiec, P., 2016. Nation branding, public relations and soft power: corporatising Poland. London: Routledge.
- Lilleker, D. and Surowiec, P., 2019. Uncovering the ‘hidden persuaders’: a content analysis and examination of digital propaganda on social media. The Sage handbook of propaganda. London: Sage.
- Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., 2017. Introduction: social media, politics and democracy in the post-transition Central and Eastern Europe. In: Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., eds. Social media and politics in Central and Eastern Europe. London: Routledge, 1-19.
- Štětka, V., 2017. Conclusions. In: Surowiec, P., ed. Social media and politics in Central and Eastern Europe. London: Routledge, 198-204.
- Surowiec, P. and Kania-Lundholm, M., 2017. Branding Poland online: propagating and resisting nation branding on Facebook. In: Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., eds. Social media and politics in Central and Eastern Europe. London: Routledge, 160-181.
- Szondi, G. and Surowiec, P., 2016. Crisis communication research in Eastern Europe: the cases of Poland and Hungary. The handbook of international crisis communication research. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 384-396.
- Koc-Michalska, K., Lilleker, D. and Surowiec, P., 2013. Participation in-media not across media: how the politically engaged use the web for political participation in Poland. In: Charles, A., ed. Media/democracy: a comparative study. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 81-103.
- Surowiec, P., 2012. Towards corpo-nationalism: Poland as a brand. In: Kaneva, N., ed. Branding post-communist nations: marketizing national identities in ‘new’ Europe. New York: Routledge, 124-144.
- Surowiec, P., Kania-Lundholm, M. and Winiarska-Brodowska, M., 2018. Towards illibral conditioning? New politics of media regulations in Poland. In: European Communication Conference 31 October-3 November 2018 Lugano.
- Downey, J. and Surowiec, P., 2018. Varieties of populist political communication in Europe. In: International Communication Association Annual Conference 24 May-28 August 2018 Prague.
- Surowiec, P., 2018. Digitalising Chopin, Tokarczuk and more: Poland’s cultural diplomacy strategies online. In: Cultural diplomacy: vision for the future 18 June-19 August 2018 Oxford University.
- Surowiec, P., Kania-Lundholm, M. and Winiarska-Brodowska, M., 2018. Towards illiberal conditionality? New politics of media regulation in Poland. In: 7th European Communication Conference 31 October-3 November 2018 Lugano.
- Surowiec, P., 2017. Pushing the boundaries or breaking the boundaries? Digital politics in 'illiberal democracy'. In: Media and illiberal democracy in Central and Eastern Europe 9-10 November 2017 Loughborough.
- Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., 2017. Social media in Central and Eastern Europe: a case for post-transitional political communication. In: CEECOM 15-17 June 2017 Ljubljana.
- Surowiec, P. and Long, P., 2017. Hybridity and soft power: towards integrative framework. In: International Communication Association 24-29 May 2017 San Diego.
- Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., 2017. Reaching-out or out-reaching: comparative analysis of the Czech and Polish political parties’ social media election strategies. In: International Communication Association 25-29 May 2017 San Diego.
- Surowiec, P. and Long, P., 2016. Continuities and discontinuities in Britain’s strategic soft power narratives: the ‘GREAT’ campaign analysis. In: 6th European Communication Conference 9-12 November 2016 Charles University, Prague, the Czech Republic.
- Surowiec, P. and Kania-Lundholm, M., 2016. Negotiating Poland's soft power narratives: problematizing nation branding on Facebook. In: European Sociological Association mid-term conference 8-10 September 2016 Lisbon University, Lisbon.
- Surowiec, P. and Kania-Lundholm, M., 2016. Branding Poland online: propagating and resisting nation branding on Facebook. In: 19th International Public Relations Research Conference 2-6 March 2016 Miami.
- Surowiec, P., 2016. Nation branding, public relations and soft power: corporatizing Poland. In: the 4th Congress of the Polish Communication Association 15-17 September 2016 Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań.
- Surowiec, P., 2015. Between Europeanization and corporatization: reinventing Poland’s soft power. In: Paper presented at the ECREA Political Communication Section conference, 27 August 2015-28 June 2016 University of Southern Denmark, Odense.
- Surowiec, P., 2015. Social media and democracy in Central and Eastern Europe (panel). In: ECREA CEE Network Conference, The digital media challenge 12-14 June 2015 Zagreb, Croatia.
- Surowiec, P., 2013. Solidarność: PR-propaganda of Polish workers’ movement as a struggle for representation. Majority’s or minority’s ‘silent scream’ for changes? In: the Political Studies Association’s Media and Politics Group annual conference 13-14 November 2013 Bournemouth University, Bournemouth.
- Lilleker, D., Koc-Michalska, K. and Surowiec, P., 2012. Broadcasting to the masses or building communities: Polish political parties online communication during the 2011 election. In: ECPR Joint Sessions of Workshops 2012 10-15 April 2012 University of Antwerp, Belgium.
- Michalska-Koc, K., Lilleker, D., Surowiec, P. and Baranowski, P., 2012. Poland’s 2011 elections: new tools, new professionalism, new ways to win votes. In: the Political Studies Association’s Media and Politics Group annual conference 1 June-2 November 2012 University of Bedfordshire, Luton.
- Koc-Michalska, K., Lilleker, D. and Surowiec, P., 2012. Talking to the politically engaged: exploring the Polish electoral blogosphere. In: XXII World Congress of Political Science, International Political Science Association 8 July-12 June 2012 Madrid.
- Koc-Michalska, K., Lilleker, D. and Surowiec, P., 2012. Broadcasting to the masses or building communities: Polish political parties’ online communication during the 2011 election. In: Parties and Campaigning in the Digital Era 10-15 April 2012 University of Antwerp, Belgium.
- Shanley, K. and Surowiec, P., 2011. Towards diaspora diplomacy: decentralising Polish public diplomacy and civic campaigning overseas. In: the Political Studies Association annual conference 2-3 November 2011 Bournemouth University, Bournemouth.
- Surowiec, P., 2010. ‘Freedom '89: Made in Poland': public diplomacy as a tool for official representation of history. In: the 3rd ECREA conference 12-15 October 2010 University of Hamburg, Germany.
- Surowiec, P., 2010. Rethinking national images management: from propaganda to nation branding. Towards an alternative archaeology of knowledge. In: the History of public relations conference 9 July 2010-11 July 2016 Bournemouth University, Bournemouth.
- Surowiec, P., 2007. The new Polish conservative government (2005- ), its media coverage in the British press and implications for perception of Poland as a country. In: Media and politics conference 27-28 April 2007 Łódź, Poland.
- weCAN (Network of Independent Advertising Agencies), 2017. Cannual report 2017. weCAN. Available from: http://www.wecan.net/.
- Surowiec, P., 2017. Poles apart: Polish perspectives of the 2017 UK ‘Brexit election’ In: UK Election Analysis 2017: Media, Voters and the Campaign. Poole: The Centre for the Study of Journalism, Culture and Community. Available from: http://www.electionanalysis.uk/.
- Future Brand, 2015. Country Brand Index 2014-15. Future Brand. Available from: http://www.futurebrand.com/uploads/CBI2014-5.pdf.
- Michael William Latto (Working title: Culture, identity and political landscapes in Ukrainian films)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Diplomacy and International Relations
Profile of Teaching UG
- International Relations
- Reputation Management
- Global Current Affairs
- Research Immagination
01 Jan 2016 more
Erasmus Exchange Visiting Scholar (Sorbonne IV, CELSA, France)
- Social movements and global citizenship (University of Catania, Italy)
- De Montfort University, Leicester
Brexit referendum of 2016 in the UK: campaigning,, Kraków, Poland, 15 Mar 2017 more
Institute of Journalism, Media and Social Communication, Jagiellonian University
Hybridizing the governence of soft power, Southampton University, 25 Jan 2017 more
The Centre for Citizenship, Globalization and Governance, Southampton University
- The role of social media in transformation of political communication and citizen participation (The Czech Science Foundation, 01 Jan 2014). Awarded
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Strategic communication and digital diplomacy in selected foreign services (University of Oxford)
- Media strategies for restoring trust in the European Union (European Council/Club of Venice)
- Polish-British Belvedere Forum (UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office/Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
- The Media Policy Project (LSE)
- Corporatizing governance of soft power (Polish Embassy, London)
- Branding in public diplomacy and soft power (Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
- Country Brand Index, Consultancy. Future Brands
- MA in International Relations (Wrocław University, 2003)
- PGCE in Higher Education (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- PhD in Sociology of International Political Communication (Bournemouth University, 2012)
- European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA), Treasurer,
- Higher Education Association (HEA), Member,
- International Communication Association (ICA), Public Diplomacy Interest Group, Member,
- Media, Communications and Cultural Studies Association (MeCCSA), Member,
- PolCoRe, Political Communication Research Group, Member,