Dr Pawel Surowiec
- 01202 965236
- psurowiec at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer
- Weymouth House W441, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am Senior Lecturer at Bournemouth University. Previously , I acted as Research Fellow at Charles University (2014-16). My work focuses on the interplay between global governance, media and public opinion. I am interested in analysis of links between European politics, media and, particularly, propaganda practice.
I am the author of ‘Nation Branding, Public Relations and Soft Power: Corporatising Poland’ (2016). My second book, co-edited with Dr Václav Štětka, is entitled 'Social Media and Politics in Central and Eastern Europe' and was published by Routledge (2017) in the ‘Contemporary Russia and Eastern Europe’ series.
In my research, I am intrigued by questions relating to the colonisation of propaganda to new social spaces, its re-invention, particularly in the context of diplomacy and international relations (e.g. public diplomacy, digital diplomacy). I merge those research interests with lecturing and consultancy. Further, I have been published in professional outlets such as 'Le Droit de Vivre' and 'Convergences'... My professional practice also involves serving academic community: in 2016, I was elected to the ECREA's executive board and I serve as its Treasurer.
I acted as a visiting scholar at Sorbonne IV in Paris and at other European universities. I also delivered lectures to diplomats and public diplomats in Warsaw, London as well as strategic communicators working for the European Union (EU) and the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO).
I am interested in supervising PhD students in the broad areas of: political communication, soft power and public diplomacy, political economy of communication and media, post-communist transition and collective identities, and global governance. If you'd like to discuss research proposal, please get in touch.
Apart from lecturing and researching I enjoy running and good music: I am a member of the Bournemouth Athletic Club and I like to listen to Richard Wagner and Polish Jazz.more
Ongoing research projects include:
1. Hybridization in soft power and public diplomacy (with Philip Long): this project focuses on the nature of changes accompanying the governance of soft power capabilities. In particular, the study focuses on the ways in public diplomacy merges with marketing, the interplay between traditional and digital media technologies in the practice of public diplomacy and new forms of governance underpinning soft power statecraft.
2. Project problematizing contentious relationship between 'illiberal democracy' and media (editing a special issue on this line of inquiry). Fusing on the region of Central and Eastern Europe, this multi-country analysis aims to reveal the ways in which illiberal tendencies intertwine between politics and hybrid media systems and, if at all, contribute to democratic backsliding in CEE (with Loughborough University).
3. Comparative study of social media strategies used by political parties in the 2013 Czech elections and the 2015 elections in Poland (with Václav Štětka and Jaromír Mazăk). Rooted in ongoing debate on the impact of new media on political campaigning and democratic engagement we examine how social media shapes dynamics of electoral campaigning.
4. Digital diplomacy and soft power in the post Brexit Europe (in development): a comparative study of two states’ statecraft and ways in which digital media technology shapes: a) strategic narratives of public diplomacy; b) institutional changes and changes to the practice of diplomatic; c) civic-ness and engagement with foreign affairs.
Political communication, political public relations, statecraft and governance of soft power, political economy of media and communication, post-communist transition, global governance
- Štĕtka, V., Surowiec, P. and Mazák, J., 2018. Social media as platforms for voters’ mobilization and engagement: comparing the use of Facebook in Czech and Polish election campaigns. European journal of communication (under review).
- Surowiec, P., 2017. Post-truth soft power: changing facets of propaganda, kompromat and liberal democracy. Georgetown journal of international affairs, 18 (3), 21-27.
- Koc-Michalska, K., Lilleker, D.G., Surowiec, P. and Baranowski, P., 2014. Poland's 2011 online election campaign: new tools, new professionalism, new ways to win votes. Journal of information technology and politics, 11 (2), 186-205.
- Surowiec, P., 2012. Public relations in global cultural contexts: multi-paradigmatic perspectives. Corporate communications: an international journal, 17 (4), 514-516.
- Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., 2017. Social media and politics in Central and Eastern Europe. London: Routledge.
- Surowiec, P., 2016. Nation branding, public relations and soft power: corporatising Poland. London: Routledge.
- Štětka, V. and Surowiec, P., 2017. Conclusions. In: Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., eds. Social media and politics in Central and Eastern Europe. London: Routledge.
- Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., 2017. Introduction: social media, politics and democracy in the post-transition Central and Eastern Europe. In: Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., eds. Social media and politics in Central and Eastern Europe. London: Routledge.
- Surowiec, P. and Kania-Lundholm, M., 2017. Branding Poland online: propagating and resisting nation branding on Facebook. In: Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., eds. Social media and politics in Central and Eastern Europe. London: Routledge.
- Szondi, G. and Surowiec, P., 2016. Crisis communication research in Eastern Europe: the cases of Poland and Hungary. The handbook of international crisis communication research. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 384-396.
- Koc-Michalska, K., Lilleker, D. and Surowiec, P., 2013. Participation in-media not across media: how the politically engaged use the web for political participation in Poland. In: Charles, A., ed. Media/democracy: a comparative study. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 81-103.
- Surowiec, P., 2012. Towards corpo-nationalism: Poland as a brand. In: Kaneva, N., ed. Branding post-communist nations: marketizing national identities in ‘new’ Europe. New York: Routledge, 124-144.
- Surowiec, P., 2017. Pushing the boundaries or breaking the boundaries? Digital politics in 'illiberal democracy'. In: Media and illiberal democracy in Central and Eastern Europe 9-10 November 2017 Loughborough.
- Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., 2017. Social media in Central and Eastern Europe: a case for post-transitional political communication. In: CEECOM 15-17 June 2017 Ljubljana.
- Surowiec, P. and Long, P., 2017. Hybridity and soft power: towards integrative framework. In: International Communication Association 24-29 May 2017 San Diego.
- Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., 2017. Reaching-out or out-reaching: comparative analysis of the Czech and Polish political parties’ social media election strategies. In: International Communication Association 25-29 May 2017 San Diego.
- Surowiec, P. and Long, P., 2016. Continuities and discontinuities in Britain’s strategic soft power narratives: the ‘GREAT’ campaign analysis. In: 6th European Communication Conference 9-12 November 2016 Charles University, Prague, the Czech Republic.
- Surowiec, P. and Kania-Lundholm, M., 2016. Negotiating Poland's soft power narratives: problematizing nation branding on Facebook. In: European Sociological Association mid-term conference 8-10 September 2016 Lisbon University, Lisbon.
- Surowiec, P., 2016. Nation branding, public relations and soft power: corporatizing Poland. In: the 4th Congress of the Polish Communication Association 15-17 September 2016 Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań.
- Surowiec, P., 2016. Branding Poland online: propagating and resisting nation branding on Facebook. In: 19th International Public Relations Research Conference 2-6 March 2016 Miami.
- Surowiec, P., 2015. Social media and democracy in Central and Eastern Europe (panel). In: ECREA CEE Network Conference, The digital media challenge 12-14 June 2015 Zagreb, Croatia.
- Surowiec, P., 2015. Between Europeanization and corporatization: reinventing Poland’s soft power. In: Paper presented at the ECREA Political Communication Section conference, 27 August 2015-28 June 2016 University of Southern Denmark, Odense.
- Surowiec, P., 2013. Solidarność: PR-propaganda of Polish workers’ movement as a struggle for representation. Majority’s or minority’s ‘silent scream’ for changes? In: the Political Studies Association’s Media and Politics Group annual conference 13-14 November 2013 Bournemouth University, Bournemouth.
- Lilleker, D., Koc-Michalska, K. and Surowiec, P., 2012. Broadcasting to the masses or building communities: Polish political parties online communication during the 2011 election. In: ECPR Joint Sessions of Workshops 2012 10-15 April 2012 University of Antwerp, Belgium.
- Koc-Michalska, K., Lilleker, D. and Surowiec, P., 2012. Broadcasting to the masses or building communities: Polish political parties’ online communication during the 2011 election. In: Parties and Campaigning in the Digital Era 10-15 April 2012 University of Antwerp, Belgium.
- Koc-Michalska, K., Lilleker, D. and Surowiec, P., 2012. Talking to the politically engaged: exploring the Polish electoral blogosphere. In: XXII World Congress of Political Science, International Political Science Association 8 July-12 June 2012 Madrid.
- Michalska-Koc, K., Lilleker, D., Surowiec, P. and Baranowski, P., 2012. Poland’s 2011 elections: new tools, new professionalism, new ways to win votes. In: the Political Studies Association’s Media and Politics Group annual conference 1 June-2 November 2012 University of Bedfordshire, Luton.
- Shanley, K. and Surowiec, P., 2011. Towards diaspora diplomacy: decentralising Polish public diplomacy and civic campaigning overseas. In: the Political Studies Association annual conference 2-3 November 2011 Bournemouth University, Bournemouth.
- Surowiec, P., 2010. Rethinking national images management: from propaganda to nation branding. Towards an alternative archaeology of knowledge. In: the History of public relations conference 9 July 2010-11 July 2016 Bournemouth University, Bournemouth.
- Surowiec, P., 2010. ‘Freedom '89: Made in Poland': public diplomacy as a tool for official representation of history. In: the 3rd ECREA conference 12-15 October 2010 University of Hamburg, Germany.
- Surowiec, P., 2007. The new Polish conservative government (2005- ), its media coverage in the British press and implications for perception of Poland as a country. In: Media and politics conference 27-28 April 2007 Łódź, Poland.
- weCAN (Network of Independent Advertising Agencies), 2017. Cannual report 2017. weCAN. Available from: http://www.wecan.net/.
- Surowiec, P., 2017. Poles apart: Polish perspectives of the 2017 UK ‘Brexit election’ In: UK Election Analysis 2017: Media, Voters and the Campaign. Poole: The Centre for the Study of Journalism, Culture and Community. Available from: http://www.electionanalysis.uk/.
- Future Brand, 2015. Country Brand Index 2014-15. Future Brand. Available from: http://www.futurebrand.com/uploads/CBI2014-5.pdf.
- Michael William Latto (supervised with Prof. Kerstin Stutterheim). Working title: Culture, identity and political landscapes in Ukrainian films
Profile of Teaching PG
- Diplomacy and International Relations
Profile of Teaching UG
- Research Immagination
- Global Current Affairs
- Reputation Management
- International Relations
Hybridizing the governence of soft power, Southampton University, 25 Jan 2017 more
The Centre for Citizenship, Globalization and Governance, Southampton University
Brexit referendum of 2016 in the UK: campaigning,, Kraków, Poland, 15 Mar 2017 more
Institute of Journalism, Media and Social Communication, Jagiellonian University
- De Montfort University, Leicester
- Social movements and global citizenship (University of Catania, Italy)
01 Jan 2016 more
Erasmus Exchange Visiting Scholar (Sorbonne IV, CELSA, France)
- The role of social media in transformation of political communication and citizen participation (The Czech Science Foundation, 01 Jan 2014). Awarded
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Media strategies for restoring trust in the European Union (European Council/Club of Venice)
- Polish-British Belvedere Forum (UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office/Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
- The Media Policy Project (LSE)
- Corporatizing governance of soft power (Polish Embassy, London)
- Branding in public diplomacy and soft power (Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
- Country Brand Index, Consultancy. Future Brands
- PhD in Sociology of International Political Communication (Bournemouth University, 2012)
- PGCE in Higher Education (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- MA in International Relations (Wrocław University, 2003)
- European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA), Treasurer,
- Higher Education Association (HEA), Member,
- International Communication Association (ICA), Public Diplomacy Interest Group, Member,
- Media, Communications and Cultural Studies Association (MeCCSA), Member,
- PolCoRe, Political Communication Research Group, Member,