Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
My first involvement with projects was in the early 1970's with a local authority where I designed and implemented a police crime and criminal project. This was followed by 19 years in the MoD working on many projects, during which time I also was awarded an MPhil at Cranfield for the design and project management of a Tri-service world wide road traffic accident analysis project. The next move was to become a Senior Lecturer in the field of project management and professional development. I currently also hold the post of Adjunct Professor at SKEMA Business School in Lille. Lancaster University, Leeds University and the Open University have invited me to be their External Examiner for their project management courses. Consultancy work has been possible, such as three years involvement in the project management in the Euro Fighter and Air Bus with EADS. In 2002 I was awarded a Teaching Fellow award for my work at Bournemouth University and completed my PhD in project management in 2004. Since then I have run four International conferences on the subject of Excellence in Teaching and Learning for Project management... In 2008 I was guest editor for a special edition of the International Journal of Project Management and currently hold that same role. As a committee member within the Association for Project Management Wessex branch, I have the special responsibility for liaison with Higher Education Institutes. Since 2007 I have been the Award holder and PI for Excellence in Teaching and Learning for Project Management having received three grants from BMAF http://PMnetwork.org.uk.more
- Shepherd, M. and Atkinson, R., 2011. Project management bodies of knowledge; conjectures and refutations. Electronic Journal of Business Research Methods, 9 (2), 152-158.
- Atkinson, D.R. and Shepherd, M., 2009. Second Special Edition for Excellence in Teaching and Learning Project Management. International Journal of Project Management, 27 (6), 543.
- Atkinson, R., 2008. Excellence in teaching and learning project management. International Journal of Project Management, 26 (3), 221-222.
- Atkinson, R., Crawford, L. and Ward, S., 2006. Fundamental uncertainties in projects and the scope of project management. International Journal of Project Management, 24 (8), 687-698.
- Atkinson, R. and Tookey, M., 2001. Developments in the teaching of project management. Learning and Teaching Support Network for Business and Management (BEST) Newsletter, 2, 11.
- Atkinson, R., 1999. Project management: cost time and quality two best guesses and a phenomenon, it's time to accept other success criteria. International Journal of Project Management, 17, 337-342.
- Atkinson, R., 1997. Re-framing the Thinking for Information Systems Projects Success. Effective Organizations - Looking To The Future. London: Cassell, 13-16.
- Atkinson, R., Bower, D., Shepherd, M. and Barron, S., 2012. PMnetwork workshop 10. In: Research Methods for Project Management 21 September 2012 Open University - Milton Keynes.
- Shepherd, M. and Atkinson, R., 2012. True Science and Project Management. 359-367.
- Atkinson, R., Bower, D., Barron, S. and Shepherd, M., 2011. PMnetwork Workshop 8. In: The Future of Project Management Education 18 May 2011 Lancaster University.
- Atkinson, R. and Shepherd, M., 2011. Project Management Bodies of Knowledge; Conjectures and Refutations. In: 10TH EUROPEAN CONFERENCE ON RESEARCH METHODOLOGY FOR BUSINESS AND MANAGEMENT STUDIES. 20-21 June 2011 Caen, France.. 466-471.
- Atkinson, R., Bower, D., Shepherd, M. and Barron, S., 2010. PMnetwork Workshop 6. In: Learning Spaces - Building Bridges Braking Barriers 30 June 2010 University of Westminster.
- Atkinson, R., Shepherd, S., Barron, S. and Bower, D., 2010. PMnetwork workshop 7. In: Project Simulations 30 June 2010 Bedfordshire University.
- Atkinson, R., Shepherd, S., Bower, D. and Barron, S., 2009. PMnetwork workshop 5. In: Modes of Learning 18 September 2009 Bournemouth University.
- Atkinson, R., Bower, D., Shepherd, S. and Barron, S., 2009. PMnetwork workshop 4. In: Professionalism 19 June 2009 Salford Unversity.
- Atkinson, R., Bower, D., Shepherd, M. and Barron, S., 2009. PMnetwork workshop 3. In: Assessment 2 April 2009 Leeds University.
- Atkinson, R., Shepherd, M., Barron, S. and Bower, D., 2008. PMnetwork - Excellence in Learning and Teaching workshop 2. In: Knowledge and Craft 4 July 2008 Aston University.
- Atkinson, R., Barron, S., Shepherd, S. and Bower, D., 2008. PMnetwork workshop 1. In: The Implications for Rethinking Project Management for Learning and Teaching 7 April 2008 Lancaster University.
- Atkinson, R., Hartman, F., Soderlund, J., Maylor, H., Bredillet, C., Stoyan, R., Mengel, T. and Kukec, S., 2008. Excellence in Learning and Teaching Project Management. In: Excellence in Learning and Teaching - Rhythm of Learning 12-13 September 2007 Bournemouth University.
- Shepherd, M. and Atkinson, R., 2008. Exploring the Actuality of Complex Projects - to improve practitioner development. In: EURAM 20008 Conference on Managing Diversity: European Destiny and Hope 14-17 May 2008 Ljubljana and Bled.
- Atkinson, R., Crawford, L. and Ward, S., 2006. EPSRC - Rethinking Project Management. In: Network REVIEW 24-25 January 2006 London, Strathclyde, Bath and Manchester. Elsevier, 687-698.
- Atkinson, R. et al., 2007. Rhythm - Excellence in Teaching and Learning Project Management. Available from: http://business.bmth.ac.uk/pm/2007/index.html.
- Atkinson, R. et al., 2005. Reflection - Excellence in Teaching and Learning Project Management. Available from: http://business.bmth.ac.uk/pm/2005/papers.html.
- Atkinson, R., Maylor, H., Haughton, M., Allan, G., Zang, L., Cicmil, S. and Levene, R., 2003. Excellence in Teaching and Learning for Project Management - Time. Available from: http://business.bmth.ac.uk/pm/2003/index.html.
- Atkinson, R., 2004. Information system's project management and the phenomenon of trust. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University; Business School.
- Atkinson, R., 1990. Analysis and design arguments of decision support systems to improve driver safety. Master's Thesis. Cranfield University.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Contemporary Issues of Project Management PG
Profile of Teaching UG
- Advanced Project Management Final year UG
- Professional Development /Simulated Business Experience Year 2 UG
- Pharmaceutical Contract and Management Group (PCMG) 2010 Spain
- Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration Happy Projects 08 conference: Presenting work achieved by Excellence in Teaching and Learning PMnetwork
- Open University - External Examiner, External Examiner (2009-2012)
- Lancaster University External Examiner, External Examiner
- Leeds University - External Examiner, External Examiner
- Skema Business School, Lille France. Adjunct Professor, Adjunct Professor
- PhD in Project Management (Bournemouth University, 2004)
- MPhil in Analysis and Design of IS project (safety related) (Cranfield, 1990)
- PG Cert in PG Cert Research Degree Supervision (Bournemouth University, 2006)
- Awarded Learning and Teaching Fellow. Following this award several grants were won from BMAF from which ten workshops have been run at UK universities from 2002 to 2012 (Bournemouth University, 2002)
- Outstanding Reviewers Award International Journal of Managing Projects in Business (Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2013, 2013)
- You're Brilliant - Roger is extremely knowledgeable in the subject area of Project Management and our seminars were always really interesting. I can still remember each seminar after completing the module in term 1 and I feel like I am extremely well equipped to enter the Project Management industry. (Students Union and Student Reps of Bournemouth University, 2012)
- Association for Project Management, Fellow (2006-),
- Association for Project Management, Member (1995-2006),
- The Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2007-),
- The Institute for Learning and Teaching, Member (2001-),
- PMnetwork.org.uk Network for those interested in Excellence in Learning and Teaching for Project Management, funded mainly by BMAF.