Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Rebecca is a Senior Lecturer in Exercise Physiology and is the Programme Leader for the Sport and Exercise Science degree programme. She teaches physiology and research methods units across the Department of Rehabilitation and Sport Sciences and the Department of Sport and Events Management. She has conducted research in the Extreme Environments Laboratory at the University of Portsmouth in the areas of Exercise and Environmental Physiology and Sports Performance for the English Institute of Sport, British Triathlon, GlaxoSmithKline and the Ministry of Defence. Other projects include work with the International Ice Swimming Association and Knowledge Transfer Partnerships with Innovate UK and associated commercial groups. Educated at the University of Birmingham (BSc Hons) and King’s College London (MSc), Rebecca completed her PhD in 2016 at the University of Portsmouth with the English Institute of Sport, entitled: Effect of combined stressors on heat acclimation and temperate exercise.
- Corbett, J., Massey, H.C., Costello, J.T., Tipton, M.J. and Rendell, R., 2020. The effect of medium-term heat acclimation on endurance performance in a temperate environment. European Journal of Sport Science.
- Costello, J.T., Rendell, R.A., Furber, M., Massey, H.C., Tipton, M.J., Young, J.S. and Corbett, J., 2018. Effects of acute or chronic heat exposure, exercise and dehydration on plasma cortisol, IL-6 and CRP levels in trained males. Cytokine, 110, 277-283.
- Corbett, J., Rendell, R.A., Massey, H.C., Costello, J.T. and Tipton, M.J., 2018. Inter-individual variation in the adaptive response to heat acclimation. Journal of Thermal Biology, 74, 29-36.
- Rendell, R.A., Tipton, M.J. and Corbett, J., 2018. Reply to “Letter to the editor: Combined effects of hypoxia and heat: Importance of hypoxic dose”. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 314 (2), R230.
- Rendell, R.A., Prout, J., Costello, J.T., Massey, H.C., Tipton, M.J., Young, J.S. and Corbett, J., 2017. Effects of 10 days of separate heat and hypoxic exposure on heat acclimation and temperate exercise performance. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 313 (3), R191-R201.
- Rendell, R., Massey, H., Tipton, M., Young, J. and Corbett, J., 2016. Effect of permissive dehydration on induction and decay of heat acclimation, and temperate exercise performance. Frontiers in Physiology.
- Rendell, R., Corbett, J., Massey, H. and Tipton, M., 2015. Effect of short‐term heat acclimation with permissive dehydration on thermoregulation and temperate exercise performance. Scandinavian journal of medicine & science in sports.
- Corbett, J., Rendell, R., Massey, H. and Tipton, M., 2014. Adaptation to heat and exercise performance under cooler conditions: a new hot topic. Sports medicine.
- Rendell, R., Massey, H., Costello, J., Tipton, M. and Corbett, J., 2019. Inter-individual variation in the adaptive response to heat acclimation; impact on temperate performance. In: International Conference of Environmental Ergonomics 7-12 July 2019 Amsterdam.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Research Methods (Sports) (Level 5/Year2)
- Unit lead: Functional Anatomy (Level 4/Year 1)
Exercising in Extremes, Bournemouth University, 15 Mar 2018 more
Cross-faculty invited lecture
- Reliability and Development of Normative Data of the Total Faulty Breathing Scale (TFBS) (ACORN, 01 May 2020). Awarded
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Invited to the launch of the findings from the report commissioned by The Physiological Society and GuildHE
- Interactive public engagement presentation surrounding environmental physiology research
- Beat the heat workshop - practical workshop for public engagement in a laboratory setting
- Pint of Science Global Festival - The physiology of living life to the extreme
- Virtual International Conference on the Physiology and Pharmacology of Temperature Regulation, Impact of ice swimming and body morphology on body temperature in cold-acclimatised ice swimmers, 26 Oct 2020, Online (Vancouver, Canada)
- Variability: How to Deal with It, Interpret It, and Learn from It, Individual variability in the response to heat and hypoxic adaptation, with particular reference to combined stressor approaches, 05 Oct 2020, Online (London, UK)
- Virtual Environmental Ergonomics, The effect of combined stressors on heat acclimation and endurance performance, 25 Jun 2020, Online
- Extreme Environmental Physiology: Life at the limits, Seminar panel member: Understanding the role of extreme physiology to improve human performance and health, 02 Sep 2019, University of Portsmouth, UK
- International Conference of Environmental Ergonomics, Inter-individual variation in the adaptive response to heat acclimation; impact on temperate performance, 07 Jul 2019, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- English Institute of Sport National Conference, The effect of combined stressors on heat acclimation and temperate exercise, 12 Dec 2016, Hinkley, UK
- 6th International Conference on the Physiology and Pharmacology of Temperature Regulation, Combining heat, dehydration and hypoxia: effects on performance, 05 Dec 2016, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- 21st Annual Congress of the European College of Sport Science, The influence of dehydration on the time-course of heat acclimation and temperate exercise performance, 06 Jul 2016, Vienna, Austria
- Biomedical Basis of Elite Performance, The influence of dehydration on long-term heat acclimation and temperate exercise, 06 Mar 2016, Nottingham, UK
- 16th International Conference for Environmental Ergonomics, The influence of short-term heat acclimation with permissive dehydration on temperate exercise performance in highly trained athletes, 28 Jun 2015, Portsmouth, UK
- ISAK Level 1 Anthopometry Course, 09 Jan 2018, International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry
- Research Councils UK Development Scheme
- PhD in Exercise Physiology (University of Portsmouth, 2017)
- MSc in Human and Applied Physiology (King's College London, 2013)
- BSc (Hons) in Sport and Exercise Science (University of Birmingham, 2012)
- Short-course in Nutrition (The Open University, 2008)