Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Professor Roger Vaughan is an economist who has worked at a number of UK Universities. He is currently Professor of Tourism Economics, the Head of the Post Graduate Research Awards Program (MPhil and PhD) for the School of Tourism and the School co-ordinator for Erasmus exchanges.
He has a considerable track record in conducting research which has been undertaken in the UK and in other European countries. In his early research career he specialised in the measurement of the economic impacts of different leisure time activities (tourism, the Arts and countryside recreation). He has also undertaken research into the strategies, tactics and evaluation of tourism development in rural and urban areas, studies of the use and adoption of information technology in tourism by business and local authorities and studies on the images of, and attitudes towards, museums and tourism destinations.
His professional activities have included being a member of the Council of the Tourism Society, a member of the executive committee of the Association of Trainers and Teachers in Tourism, a Vice Chair of the Leisure Studies Association, a member of the Executive Committee of the International Association of Cultural Economics, and a member of the editorial boards of 3 academic journals.
- Jackson, C., Vaughan, D.R. and Brown, L., 2018. Discovering lived experiences through descriptive phenomenology. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.
- Vaughan, D.R., 2016. Challenges in Tourism Research, Aspects of Tourism Series. TOURISM MANAGEMENT, 57, 10-11.
- Correia, A., Vaughan, R., Edwards, J. and Silva, G., 2014. The potential for coperation between wine and tourism businesses in the provision of tourism experiences: The case of the douro valley of Portugal. Revista Portuguesa de Estudos Regionais, 36 (1), 43-55.
- Edwards, J.R. and Vaughan, D.R., 2010. A preliminary study of visitors to ancient Merv (Turkmenistan). International Journal of Business and Globalisation, 7, 64-77.
- Cardoso, C., Edwards, J.R. and Vaughan, D.R., 2010. An Analysis of the Perceived Effects of Economic and Monetary Union on Hotels in the North of Portugal: the Implications for Management. Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, 2, 410-427.
- McLeod, M.T., Vaughan, D.R. and Edwards, J.R., 2010. Knowledge networks in the tourism sector of the Bournemouth, Poole, and Christchurch conurbation: preliminary analysis. The Service Industries Journal, 30, 1651-1667.
- Edwards, J.R., Moital, M., Vaughan, D.R. and Peres, R., 2009. ‘Determinants of Intention to Purchase Over the Internet’. Anatolia, 20, 345-358.
- Gutiérrez, P., Vázquez, J.L., Edwards, J.R. and Vaughan, D.R., 2009. The Transformation of Municipal Services: Towards Quality in the Public Sector. Theoretical and Applied Economics (ECTAP), February, 2-16.
- Andriotis, K. and Vaughan, D.R., 2009. The pattern-matching approach and its application in tourism development. Current Issues in Tourism, 12, 315-336.
- Bodmer, U. and Vaughan, D.R., 2009. Approaches to preventing crises in family controlled small enterprises. Journal of Neuroscience, Psychology, and Economics, 2, 41-58.
- Gutiérrez, P., Vázquez, J.L., Edwards, J.R. and Vaughan, D.R., 2009. Quality Dimensions in the Public Sector: Municipal Services and Citizen’s Perception. International Review of Public and Non-Profit Marketing, 6, 75-90.
- Moital, M., Edwards, J.R. and Vaughan, D.R., 2009. Determinants of Intention to Purchase Over the Internet. Anatolia: An International Journal of Tourism & Hospitality Research, 20, 345-358.
- Moital, M., Vaughan, R., Edwards, J. and Peres, R., 2009. Determinants of intention to purchase leisure travel over the Internet. Anatolia: an international journal of tourism and hospitality research, 20 (2), 345-358.
- Moital, M., Vaughan, D.R. and Edwards, J.R., 2009. Using Involvement for Segmenting the Adoption of e-Commerce in Travel. Service Industries Journal, 29, 723-739.
- Garnevska, E., Vaughan, R. and Edwards, J., 2008. Product and market orientation of horticultural farms in Bulgaria during the years leading to EU accession - Studies in the Plovdiv region. Journal of Central European Agriculture, 9 (1), 117-123.
- Andriotis, K. and Vaughan, D.R., 2008. Reality, Perceptions and Tourism Policy in Crete: the Inter-relationship. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 5, 31-46.
- Garnevska, E., Vaughan, D.R. and Edwards, J.R., 2007. SWOT Analysis of the horticultural farms in the Plovdiv region of Bulgaria. Bulgarian Journal of Agricultural Science, 12, 353-361.
- Vaughan, D.R., 2007. Images of Romania as a potential holiday destination. International Journal of Tourism Policy, 1, 1-16.
- Garnevska, E., Vaughan, D.R. and Edwards, J.R., 2006. Farm diversification opportunities in Bulgaria: the perceptions of farmers in the Plovdiv region. Journal of International Farm Management, 3, 1-14.
- Vaughan, D.R. and Andriotis, K., 2004. The tourism workforce and policy: exploring the assumptions using Crete as the case study. Current Issues in Tourism, 7, 66-87.
- Vaughan, D.R. and Andriotis, K., 2003. Urban residents' attitudes towards tourism development: the case of Crete. Journal of Travel Research, 42, 172-185.
- Vaughan, D.R., 2001. Images of a museum. Museum Management and Curatorship, 19, 253-268.
- Vaughan, D.R., Farr, H. and Slee, R.W., 2000. Estimating and interpreting the local economic benefits of visitor spending: An explanation. Leisure Studies, 19 (2), 95-118.
- Vaughan, D.R. and Edwards, J.R., 1999. Experiential perceptions of two winter sun destinations: The algarve and cyprus. Journal of Vacation Marketing, 5 (4), 356-368.
- Vaughan, D.R., 1999. Tourism policy and performance: the Irish experience. SERVICE INDUSTRIES JOURNAL, 19 (1), 210-211.
- McLeod, M.T. and Vaughan, R., 2014. Knowledge Networks and Tourism. Routledge.
- Destinations Revisited. ATLAS.
- Edwards, J.R., Moital, M. and Vaughan, D.R., 2004. The impacts of Mega-events: the case of EXPO '98 - Lisbon. In: Robinson, M. and Long, P., eds. Tourism and cultural festivals and events: marketing, management and development. Sunderland: Business Education Publishers, 195-215.
- Vaughan, D.R., Escudero, G., Stankov, W. and Georgiev, I., 2002. Una aplicacion de la imagen de pais: las campanas de promocion y la percepcion en Espana de Bulgaria como destino de turismo rural para el ciudadano Europeo. In: Jornadas Internacionales de Marketing Publico y No Lucrativo 2002 Universidad de Leon, Spain.. 193-203.
- Vaughan, D.R. and Edwards, J.R., 2004. OPTOUR:Opportunities and Barriers to the Development of Rural Tourism in Selected Eastern European Countries. European Commission Research DG.
- Rafa Haddad. A critical analysis of the experiences of female business owners in the development and management of tourism-related micro and small handicraft businesses in an Islamic Society: The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
- Yuvraj Bheekee. An analysis of the perceived effect of commoditising the Mauritian Maha Shivaratri festival upon the religious experience
- Philip James. Active seniors and social media.
- Savinna Karyopouli. Establishing the relationship between the accommodation sector in Cyprus and the European tour operators in order to explore the nature of their relationship from a business ethics point of view.
- Caroline Jackson. The lived experience of the popular music festival: a phenomenological analysis.
- Amanda Wilding. Diffusion and adoption of sport psychology by track and field coaches.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Market Economy (Level C)
- Tourism Development and Planning (Level I)
- e-Business for the Service Sector (Level H)
- “Salisbury Cathedral: an analysis of the attitudes and behaviour of visitors by their level of religious observance.” The Department of Hotel and Tourism Management, Cyprus University of Technology. 15th December, 2011.
- BSc (Hons) in Economics (Hull University, 1973)
- MSc in Development Studies (Bath University, 1975)
- PhD in Social Sciences (Edinburgh University, 1987)
- Tourism Society, Fellow (1982-),