Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr Sue Eccles is acting Deputy Head of the Centre for Excellence in Learning at Bournemouth University and has worked in HE since 1995. Her research is focused around the experiences of students as they transition into, through and out of Higher Education, the Widening Participation policy agenda and how this impacts on/influences practice, and supporting academics through effective leadership. She has experience of strategic management and leadership, as well as in-depth knowledge and understanding of education practice within HE.
She has been Associate Dean (Head of Department) for an Academic Group and Deputy Dean (Education) across the whole of the Faculty and has extensive experience of strategic management and leadership, as well as in-depth knowledge and understanding of education practice within HE. She has completed two studies for the Higher Education Academy (HEA) - student transition from FE to HE in Scotland and the impact of gaining recognition as HEA Fellowship on the practice of leadership... This has led to further research into the concept of 'servant' leadership within HE. She established and now leads the University’s HEA accredited UKPSF scheme (TeachBU), which recognises and supports excellent education practice across the institution.
She has eight doctoral students, and has seen three others to completion. She teaches on the Doc Ed programme and is an External Examiner for 3 UK and 1 overseas universities.
Sue is a member of the Society for Research in HE (SRHE), the British Education Research Association (BERA) the Academy of Social Sciences (AoSS). She is an Editor for the Journal of Learning Development in HE and on the Editorial Board for the International Journal of Management Education.more
- Eccles, S., Dippold, D., Mullen, E. and Bridges, S., 2019. Taking ELF off the shelf: developing HE students’ speaking skills through a focus on English as a lingua franca. Linguistics and Education.
- Eccles, S., Bridges, S., Dippold, D. and Mullen, E., 2019. This is who I am: enablers and constraints to first year student identity development,. Journal of further and higher education.
- Frost, S., Mbah, M. and Eccles, S., 2018. Student Perceptions and Institutional Targets: the matches and mismatches of financial bursary support. Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning.
- Eccles, S. and Russell, C., 2018. From Newsroom to Classroom: Exploring the transition from journalism practitioner to journalism educator. Journalism Education.
- Eccles, S., Heaslip, V., Hutchings, M. and Hunt, C., 2018. Risk and Stigma: Students’ Perceptions and Disclosure of ‘Disability’ in Higher Education. Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning.
- Dippold, D., Bridges, S., Eccles, S. and Mullen, E., 2018. Developing the global graduate: how first year university students’ narrate their experiences of culture. Language and Intercultural Communication.
- Devis-Rozental, C., Eccles, S. and Mayer, M., 2017. Developing socio-emotional intelligence in first year HE students through one-to-one learning development tutorials. Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education.
- Gauntlett, L., Bickle, E., Collins, B., Heaslip, V., Thomas, G. and Eccles, S., 2017. Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis: A means of exploring aspiration and resilience amongst Widening Participation students. Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning, 19 (2).
- Wardrop, A., Hutchings, M., Collins, B., Eccles, S., Heaslip, V., Hunt, C. and Pritchard, C., 2016. Troubling ideas for widening participation: how higher education institutions in England engage with research in their access agreements. Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning.
- Eccles, S., Wardrop, A., hutchings, M., collins, B., heaslip, V., hunt, C. and pritchard, C., 2016. Troubling ideas for widening participation: how higher education institutions in England engage with research in their access agreements. Journal of Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning.
- Eccles, S., Devis-Rozental, C. and Mayer, M., 2016. Developing Socio-Emotional Intelligence in First Year Students. American Journal of Educational Research.
- Cope, J., Cave, F. and Eccles, S., 2004. Attitudes of venture capital investors towards entrepreneurs with previous business failure. Venture Capital, 6, 147-172.
- Woodruffe-Burton, H., Eccles, S. and Elliott, R., 2002. Towards a theory of shopping: a preliminary conceptual framework. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 1, 256-266.
- Eccles, S., 2002. The lived experiences of women as addictive consumers. Journal of Research for Consumers, 4, 1-17.
- Elliott, R., Eccles, S. and Gournay, K., 1996. Man management? Women and the use of debt to control personal relationships. Journal of Marketing Management, 12, 657-669.
- Elliott, R., Eccles, S. and Gournay, K., 1996. Revenge, existential choice and addictive consumption. Psychology and Marketing, 13, 753-768.
- Ritson, M., Eccles, S. and Elliott, R., 1996. Reframing IKEA: commodity signs, consumer creativity and the social/self dialectic. Advances in Consumer Research, 23, 127-131.
- Elliott, R., Eccles, S. and Hodgson, M., 1993. Re-coding gender representations: women, cleaning products and advertising's 'new man'. International Journal of Research into Marketing, 10, 311-324.
- Renaud, V. and Eccles, S., 2018. Building Students’ Emotional Resilience Through Placement Coaching and Mentoring. In: Morley, D., ed. Enhancing Employability in Higher Education through Work Based Learning. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Molesworth, M., Jenkins, R. and Eccles, S., 2011. Love and Videogames: Negotiating Relationships with Cultural Ideals and Consumer Practices. In: Belk, R., Grayson, K., Muniz, A. and Schau, H., eds. Research in Consumer Behavior. Emerald Group Publishing Ltd.
- Eccles, S. and Woodruffe-Burton, H., 2000. Off to the shops: why do we really go shopping? In: Catterall, M., Maclaren, P. and Stevens, L., eds. Marketing and feminism : current issues and research. London: Routledge, 183-201.
- Eccles, S., Bridges, S., Dippold, D. and Mullen, E., 2017. From Belonging to Becoming: 1st year UG Students’ Reflections. In: SRHE 6-8 December 2017 Newport, Wales.
- Eccles, S., 2017. Developing the global graduate. In: Socio-Linguistic Symposium 22 7-18 June 2018 University of Auckland, New Zealand.
- Quest, J. and Eccles, S., 2017. "Just taste this - what do you think?". In: AMA 12th Global Brand Conference: Sensory Branding 26-28 April 2017 Linnaeus University School of Business and Economics, Kalmar, Sweden.
- Eccles, S. and Quest, J., 2016. “Eat up, it’s good for you!” Local foods as brands that ‘do good’. In: Academy of Marketing Global Brand Conference 27-29 April 2016 Bradford.
- Eccles, S., Mayer, M., Devis-Rozental, C. and Jones, M.J., 2015. Change-making in universities: Influencing leadership decision-making. In: Society for Research in Higher Education 9-11 December 2015 Newport, Wales.
- Eccles, S., Mayer, M., Devis-Rozental, C. and Jones, M., 2015. Student success: Strivers, striders and thrivers. In: Society for Research in Higher Education 9-11 December 2015 Newport, Wales.
- Eccles, S., Devis-Rozental, C., Jones, M.J. and Mayer, M., 2015. Globelongers’ - Inspiring, Intrepid International Students. In: Society for Research in HE 9-11 December 2015 Newport, Wales.
- Eccles, S. and Bradley, S., 2015. Reflecting on Leadership: Higher Education Academy Recognition and Academics as Effective Leaders. In: Society for Research in Higher Education 9-11 December 2015 Newport, Wales.
- Eccles, S., Mayer, M., Devis-Rozental, C. and jones, M., 2014. Understanding the efficacy of enhanced induction programmes for international students. In: Society for Research in Higher Education 10-12 December 2014 Newport, Wales.
- Jenkins, R., Molesworth, M. and Eccles, S., 2010. Alternative hedonism, digital virtual consumption and structures of the imagination. In: American Marketing Academy February 2010 New Orleans, USA.
- Eccles, S., 2009. Patterns of Addictive Consumption. In: British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies 15-18 July 2009 Exeter University.
- Tonks, D. and Eccles, S., 2005. Smoke signals: understanding cigarette addiction amongst women. In: Critical Management Studies Conference 4-6 July 2005 Cambridge.
- Eccles, S. and Elms, J., 2005. Performing the field: the role of the researcher's identity and self in conducting interpretive consumer research. In: EIASM Workshop on Interpretive Consumer Research May 2005 Copenhagen.
- Eccles, S. and Woodruffe-Burton, H., 2005. Be/longings: consumption and flow. In: European Association for Consumer Research June 2005 Goteborg, Sweden.
- Eccles, S., Clarke, I., Perez del Aguila, R., De Kervenoael, R., Jackson, P. and Hallsworth, A., 2004. Transactions in transition: retail choice, household composition and grocery consumption. In: Academy of Marketing Conference July 2004 Gloucester.
- Cope, J., Cave, F. and Eccles, S., 2004. The impact and learning outcomes of failure: the venture capitalist's perspective. In: ISBA Conference 2004 Jonkopping, Denmark.
- Cave, F., Eccles, S. and Cope, J., 2003. Attitudes of investors to entrepreneurs with previous business failure. In: ICSB 48th World Conference 2003 Belfast.
- Eccles, S., Woodruffe-Burton, H. and Elliott, R., 2002. UK consumers and their (mis-) management of credit and debt. In: Academy of Marketing Annual Conference July 2002 Nottingham.
- MacGregor, D. and Eccles, S., 2002. Games of skill and chance: promotional competitions - mediated communications or (dis)organised consumption? In: Academy of Marketing Annual Conference July 2002 Nottingham.
- Woodruffe-Burton, H., Eccles, S. and Elliott, R., 2002. The effect of gender on addictive consumption: reflections on men, shopping and consumption meaning. In: ACR Conference on Gender, Marketing and Consumer Behaviour July 2002 Dublin.
- Eccles, S., 2001. Egonomics: managing the self through consumption. In: Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference December 2001 Auckland, New Zealand.
- Cave, F., Eccles, S. and Rundell, M., 2001. Attitudes towards entrepreneurial failure: a learning experience or an indelible stigma? In: 2001 Babson College-Kaufman Foundation Entrepreneurship Research Conference May 2001 Jonnkoping, Sweden.
- Eccles, S., Hamilton, E. and Elliott, R., 1999. Voices of control: researching the lived experiences of addictive consumers. In: International Conference on Critical Management Studies July 1999 Manchester.
- Elliott, R., Eccles, S. and Gournay, K., 1996. Social support, personal relationships and addictive consumption. In: European Marketing Academy Conference 1996 Budapest, Hungary.
- Elliott, R., Eccles, S. and Gournay, K., 1995. Addictive consumption: the role of aversive self-awareness, depression and social support. In: European Marketing Academy Conference 1995 Paris.
- Eccles, S. and Elliott, R., 1995. Addictive consumption and the experience-sampling method. In: MEG Annual Conference 1995 Bradford.
- Elliott, R., Eccles, S. and Hodgson, M., 1992. Gender repositioning in advertising: a semiotic analysis. In: European Marketing Academy Conference 1992 Aarhus, Denmark.
- Heaslip, V., Hutchings, M., Crowley, E., Tooth, R., Wardrop, A., Eccles, S., Hunt, C. and Collins, B., 2017. Systematic Reviews: making sense of research. Bournemouth University.
- Eccles, S., 2016. The Impact of UK Professional Standards Framework: Personal and Professional Benefits of SFHEA and PFHEA. Higher Education Academy.
- Amber Burton
- Jill Quest
- Ed Bickle. Widening Participation
- Damien Horner. The rhetoric of participation: An evaluation of the impact of learners' voices initiatives in a college of FE
- Richard Berry. Exploring contemporary advertising through auto-ethnography
- Marian Mayer, 2018. Transformative learning within the neoliberal context of Higher Education in the UK.
- Suzanne Dixon
- Vianna Reynaud. Online Undergraduate Peer-to-Peer Coaching and Mentoring
- Harvard Business School
- Staff perceptions of learner journeys and CPD support study (Higher Education Academy, 02 Mar 2015). Awarded
- The UKPSF, Senior/Principal Fellows and Leadership within HE (Higher Education Academy, 01 May 2014). In Progress
- Establishing a Creative Enterprise Bureau (HEIF, 01 Oct 2010). Completed
- Association for Learning Development in HE, Steering Group Member (2015-2018)
- Journal for Learning Development in Higher Education, Editor (2015-)
- University of Central Lancashire, External Examiner (2014-)
- International College of Business and Technology, Sri Lanka, External Examiner (2014-)
- Cardiff Metropolitan University, External Examiner (2013-)
- Higher Education Academy, Academic Associate (2013-)
- University of Ulster, External Examiner (2012-)
- Poole Grammar School for Boys, Community Academy Governor (2011-)
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Community Governor at Poole Grammar School for Boys
- PhD in Consumer Behaviour - Addictive Consumption (Lancaster University, 2000)
- BSc (Hons) in Marketing (Lancaster University, 1992)
- DipM in Marketing (Chartered Institute of Marketing, 1993)
- MA in Education (Open University, 2015)
- ALDinHE, Steering Group Member (2014-), http://www.aldinhe.ac.uk/
- Association for Consumer Research, Member,
- Higher Education Academy, Senior Fellow (2013-),
- Higher Education Academy, Associate (2013-),
- Society for Research in HE, Member,