Professor Sangeeta Khorana
- 01202 961050
- skhorana at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Executive Business Centre EB406, Bournemouth University, 89 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth, BH8 8EB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Professor Sangeeta Khorana is an international trade expert with 25 + years of academia and management consulting experience including, between 1993 and 2001 as a civil servant with the government of India.
Prof Khorana leads research on international trade policy, in particular on free trade agreement (FTA) negotiations and WTO issues. She has advised EU institutions on FTA negotiations with India and Vietnam as well as developed methodologies for liberalisation through FTA negotiations.
Prof Khorana has undertaken funded research for the UK Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), Welsh Assembly, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, European Commission, DG Trade, Commonwealth Secretariat, InterAmerican Development Bank (IADB), World Bank-ITCILO, UNCTAD-India and the Swiss Federal Government among others.
She is on several expert committees providing specialist advice including membership of:
1. Expert Trade Advisory Group (Government Procurement), Department for International Trade, UK
2. Expert Trade Advisory Group (Trade and Development), Department for International Department, UK...
3. PHD Chambers of Commerce and Industry, India
4. Global Trade Professionals Alliance, Australia.
She has conducted impact assessments of Brexit for the Welsh Assembly, advised industry sectors and provided testimony on the ‘UK Trade Bill’ to the Scottish Parliament (2018) and on ‘EU-India FTA negotiations’ to the European Parliament (2008).
She holds Board level positions at:
1. Institute of Exports and international Trade (IO&ET), London.
2. Satin Creditcare Limited, a listed Indian microfinance company providing social inclusion loans to 3.2 million women in 21 Indian states.
She has worked in diverse environments such as Switzerland, UK, India, Vietnam and the Caribbean. She is fluent in many languages including English, several Indian languages and has a working knowledge of German.
She welcomes PhD supervision on international trade and public procurement reform.more
- Kaur, S., Khorana, S. and Kaur, M., 2020. Is There Any Potential in Service Trade of South Asia? FOREIGN TRADE REVIEW, 55 (3), 402-417.
- Khorana, S., Escaith, H., MacGregor, J., Vickers, B. and Ali, S., 2020. The Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Commonwealth Trade, Recovery and Resilience. The Commonwealth Trade Hot Topics.
- Souza Piao, R., Ide, M.S., Scur, G., Campos-Silva4, W.L. and Khorana, S., 2020. Sustainable procurement practices in the Brazilian chemical industry context. Exacta, 18 (3), 583-602.
- Khorana, S. and Martínez-Zarzoso, I., 2020. TWENTY-FIRST-CENTURY TRADE GOVERNANCE: FINDINGS FROM THE COMMONWEALTH COUNTRIES. Contemporary Economic Policy, 38 (2), 380-396.
- Akinmade, B., Khorana, S. and Adedoyin, F.F., 2020. An assessment of United Kingdom's trade with developing countries under the generalised system of preferences. Journal of Public Affairs.
- Frennhoff Larsén, M. and Khorana, S., 2020. Negotiating Brexit: A clash of approaches? Comparative European Politics.
- Keshari, A., Mishra, N., Shukla, N., McGuire, S. and Khorana, S., 2018. Multiple order-up-to policy for mitigating bullwhip effect in supply chain network. Annals of Operations Research, 269 (1-2), 361-386.
- Khorana, S., Cho, J., Lee, J. and Disegna, M., 2018. Employing FAHP to de-codify the determinants of trade agreements: A case of the EU-India trade talks. Technological and Economic Development of Economy, 24 (6), 2397-2415.
- Khorana, S., 2017. Mega‑regional trade Agreements: Costly distractions for developing countries? Journal of Economic Structures, 6-29.
- Khorana, S. and Narayanan, B.G., 2017. Modelling Effects of Tariff Liberalisation on India’s Key Export Sectors: Analysis of the EU–India Free Trade Agreement. Margin, 11 (1), 1-22.
- Khorana, S. and Choukroune, L., 2016. India and the Indian Ocean region. Journal of the Indian Ocean Region, 12 (2), 122-125.
- Khorana, S., 2016. International Trade in the Health Sector: Forgotten Frontier? Commonwealth Trade Hot Topics, 126.
- Orbie, J. and Khorana, S., 2015. Normative versus market power Europe? The EU-India trade agreement. Asia Europe Journal, 13 (3), 253-264.
- Garcia, M. and Masselot, A., 2015. EU-Asia Free Trade Agreements as tools for social norm/legislation transfer. ASIA EUROPE JOURNAL, 13 (3), 241-252.
- Orbie, J. and Khorana, S., 2015. Normative versus market power Europe? The EU-India trade agreement. Asia Europe Journal.
- Khorana, S., 2015. Role Model or Institutional Spoiler?: India’s Schizophrenic Relationship with the WTO. Current Politics and Economics of South, Southeastern, and Central Asia, 23 (3-4).
- Khorana, S., Ferguson-Boucher, K. and Kerr, W.A., 2015. Governance Issues in the EU's e-Procurement Framework. Journal of Common Market Studies, 53 (2), 292-310.
- Khorana, S. and Asthana, A.N., 2014. EU FTA negotiations with India: The question of liberalisation of public procurement. Asia Europe Journal, 12 (3), 251-263.
- Khorana, S. and Asthana, A.N., 2014. EU FTA negotiations with India: The question of liberalisation of public procurement. Asia Europe Journal, 1-13.
- Khorana, S., Mishra, N. and Kerr, W.A., 2014. Transforming Vietnam: A quest for improved efficiency and transparency in central government procurement. Policy and politics, 42 (1), 109-129.
- Khorana, S., Perdikis, N. and Kerr, W.A., 2014. Global economies of scale in the EU-India trade agreement: are they the key to a return to economic growth? Asia Europe Journal, 13 (1), 41-55.
- Khorana, S. and Garcia, M., 2014. Procurement liberalization diffusion in EU agreements: Signalling stewardship? Journal of World Trade, 48 (3), 481-500.
- Badri Narayanan, G. and Khorana, S., 2014. Tariff escalation, export shares and economy-wide welfare: A computable general equilibrium approach. Economic Modelling, 41, 109-118.
- Asthana, A.N. and Khorana, S., 2013. Unlearning machine learning: The challenge of integrating research in business applications. Middle East Journal of Scientific Research, 15 (2), 266-271.
- Khorana, S. and Garcia, M., 2013. European union-india trade negotiations: One step forward, one back? Journal of Common Market Studies, 51 (4), 684-700.
- Mohan, S., Khorana, S. and Choudhury, H., 2013. Why Developing Countries Have Failed to Increase Their Exports of Agricultural Processed Products. Economic Affairs, 33 (1), 48-64.
- Asthana, A.N., Mohan, S. and Khorana, S., 2012. Physics envy and natural experiments in business and economics. World Applied Sciences Journal, 20 (3), 464-469.
- Khorana, S. and Subramanian, S., 2012. Potential accession to the WTO government procurement agreement: A case-study on India. Journal of International Economic Law, 15 (1), 287-309.
- Khorana, S., Yeung, M.T., Kerr, W.A. and Perdikis, N., 2012. The battle over the EU'S proposed humanitarian trade preferences for Pakistan: A case study in multifaceted protectionism. Journal of World Trade, 46 (1), 33-59.
- Khorana, S. and Perdikis, N., 2010. Eu-india free trade agreement: Deal or no deal? South Asia Economic Journal, 11 (2), 181-206.
- Khorana, S., 2007. Do trade preferences enhance market access for developing countries' agricultural products? Evidence from Switzerland. Journal of World Trade, 41 (5), 1073-1090.
- Khorana, S. and García, M., 2018. Handbook on the EU and international trade.
- Navigating Uncertainty: Towards a Post-Brexit Trade and Development Agenda. Commonwealth Secretariat.
- Khorana, S., 2016. Health Trade Governance: Economic and Legal Dimensions. SPRINGER.
- Khorana, S., Perdikis, N., Yeung, M.T. and Kerr, W.A., 2010. Bilateral trade agreements in the era of globalization: The EU and India in search of a partnership.
- Khorana, S. and Voss, W.G., 2018. The digital single market: Move from traditional to digital? Handbook on the EU and International Trade. 384-402.
- Khorana, S. and García, M., 2018. Introduction to the handbook on the EU and international trade. Handbook on the EU and International Trade. 1-13.
- Khorana, S., 2015. The FTA: A Strategic call for India and the EU. In: Godement, F., ed. What does India Think?. Robert Bosch Stifftung, 102-107.
- Khorana, S., 2014. Economic Dimensions of Indo-Polish Relationship: Analysis of Trade Patterns. India-Poland Relations in the 21st Century: Vistas for Future Cooperation. Vij Publishing India.
- Cottier, T. and Khorana, S., 2012. Linkages between Freedom of Expression and Unfair Competition Rules in International Trade: The Hertel Case and Beyond. Human Rights and International Trade.
- Khorana, S., Narayanan, B. and Perdikis, N., 2020. Modelling the (Potential) Long Term Macroeconomic Impact of Brexit: Findings from Wales. In: 23rd GTAP conference 17-19 June 2020 Online.
- Khorana, S., WEBSTER, A. and Piesse, J., 2018. Female empowerment in emerging market firms. In: 45thAcademy of International Business (UK & Ireland Chapter) Annual Conference 11-14 April 2018 Birmingham.
- Khorana, S., Curran, L. and Nadvi, K., 2017. Rising Powers, Trade Agreements and Global Governance: The EU-India FTA – a Dance without Music? In: SASE 29th Annual Conference 29 June-1 July 2017 Lyon.
- Khorana, S. and Joshi, S., 2017. Public Procurement Liberalisation through Trade Agreements: Case Study on South Korea. In: Public Procurement: Global Revolution VIII 12-13 June 2017 Nottingham.
- Khorana, S., 2014. Multilateral Agreements and Global Governance of International Trade. In: ETSG 22-24 September 2014 MUNICH.
- Khorana, S., 2014. Can reciprocal tariff elimination reduce the welfare losses due to lagging labor productivity?: An Analysis of Reciprocal Preferential Trade Access between Sub-Saharan Africa and Industrialized Countries. In: GTAP 2014 8-10 June 2014 DAKAR.
- Khorana, S., 2014. Changing Patterns of Transport Costs in the Atlantic Space. EUROPEAN COMMISSION.
- Khorana, S., 2014. Multilateral Agreements and Global Governance of International Trade Regimes. EU Commission project. Available from: http://www.atlanticfuture.eu/files/309-ATLANTIC%20FUTURE_03_Multilateral%20Agreements%20and%20Global%20Governance%20of%20International%20Trade%20Regimes.pdf.
- Khorana, S.. Is Brexit an opportunity to revive the EU-India trade deal?. The Conversation. Available from: http://theconversation.com/is-brexit-an-opportunity-to-revive-the-eu-india-trade-deal-113780.
- Khorana, S.. Is Brexit business uncertainty leading to an investment chill?. Financial director. Available from: https://www.financialdirector.co.uk/2019/04/15/is-brexit-business-uncertainty-leading-to-an-investment-chill/.
- Kolawole Aladesanmi
- Onyedikachi Uwakwem
Brexit and UK's Supply Chain Linkages, Bournemouth, 26 Apr 2018 more
Key speaker at Dorset Business Growth Forum Networking Event
Methods & tools: Value for Money in procurement, Santiago, Chile, 04 Oct 2017 more
XIII Annual Conference of the Inter-American Network on Government Procurement
Trade Policy Options of Emerging Markets/ India, Vienna, 05 Sep 2017 more
International Society for Comparative Economic Society
- Keynote & Roundtable "Trade, Globalization and Development"
- Public Procurement Initiative (Directorate-General for Development and Cooperation – EuropeAid, 04 Jan 2016). Awarded
- TTIP negotiations: caught between myth and reality? (Council for Europe through CIDOB, 27 May 2015). Completed
- GIFTA: GOVERNANCE AND ECONOMIC INTEGRATION THROUGH FREE TRADE AGREEMENTS (ESRC, 31 Dec 2014). Awarded
- Towards an Atlantic Area (European Commission, 01 Jan 2013). In Progress
- EuropeAid/126313/C/SER/VN (European Commission, 01 Jul 2011). Completed
- Impact Analysis of proposed EU-India FTA on Indian export sectors (Foreign and Commonwealth Office, 01 Oct 2007). Completed
- University of Derby, External examiner (2016-)
- Satin Credit Care Ltd, ex officio Director (2013-2017), https://www.satincreditcare.com/
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- New Developments in Trade and Innovation
- Brexit research and impact on public policy.
- Brexit and implications for the Indian economy
- Update on Brexit and impact on SW Businesses (MakeUK event)
- Brexit information workshop for Rubicorn Recruitment Group
- Beyond March 2019: Making Brexit Work For Manufacturers
- Dorset Business Growth Forum Networking Event
- Evidence to Scottish Parliament: UK Trade Bill
- Remodelling UK's Trade with India Post Brexit
- Major points to discuss: Negotiating Prosperity: Consequences of Future Models of Trade with Europe What will our relationship with the European Union look like, and how will it affect UK exports?
- Invited Panelist at XIII Annual Conference of the Inter-American Network on Government Procurement, in Session “Methods and tools to achieve Value for Money in public procurement”
- From Rising Powers to Interdependent Futures
- ROUNDTABLE. ATLANTIC: DRIVERS OF CHANGE
- Society for the Advancement of Socio-Economics (SASE), Rising Powers, Trade Agreements and Global Governance: The EU-India FTA – a dance without music?, 29 Jun 2017, Lyon, France
- Rising Powers and Labour Standards in Global Production, The EU-India FTA: A Dance without Music, 18 Jun 2017, MANCHESTER
- PUBLIC PROCUREMENT: GLOBAL REVOLUTION VIII, Public Procurement Liberalisation through Trade Agreements: Case Study on South Korea, 11 Jun 2017, NOTTINGHAM
- IAES Conference, MULTILATERAL AGREEMENTS AND GLOBAL GOVERNANCE OF INTERNATIONAL TRADE REGIMES, 22 Mar 2017, Berlin
- 24th IIOA Conference, An Evaluation of Public Procurement Import Penetration: Liberalisation Effects of Preferential Trade Agreements for South Korea, 03 Jul 2016, Seoul, Korea
- GTAP Conference, International Trade and Health: Implications for Developing Countries, 14 Jun 2016, Washington DC
- EUIA Conference Panel BALANCING ECONOMIC INTERESTS AND LABOUR RIGHTS IN EU EXTERNAL TRADE & INVESTMENT POLICY (I): the legal tensions between trade, labour and human rights (ID 260)
External Media and Press
- US Economy Loses Out on CPTPP Trade Deal That Benefits Members, Global Trade, MOSCOW (Sputnik), 09 Mar 2018. https://sputniknews.com/analysis/201803091062379949-cptpp-trade-deal-us-economy/
- Tata Steel closure in Port Talbot and Business Secretary, Sajid Javid's visit to India, BBC Wales, 07 Apr 2016. http://mms.tveyes.com/PlaybackPortal.aspx?SavedEditID=4710f02f-8193-481e-bc20-0695c8c7eba1
- La relance des négociations sur un traité de libre-échange au menu du sommet Inde-Union européenne, Le Monde, 30 Mar 2016. http://www.lemonde.fr/economie/article/2016/03/30/la-relance-des-negociations-sur-un-traite-de-libre-echange-au-menu-du-sommet-inde-union-europeenne_4892094_3234.html
- BBC Breakfast Wales, Tata Steel closure in Port Talbot and Business Secretary's visit to India. http://mms.tveyes.com/PlaybackPortal.aspx?SavedEditID=4710f02f-8193-481e-bc20-0695c8c7eba1