Dr Shahin Rostami
- 01202 962403
- srostami at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer (Academic) in Computing
- Poole House P427, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr. Shahin Rostami is a Senior Academic (Associate Professor) in Data Science at the Bournemouth University, where he has been a faculty member since 2014. He holds a Ph.D. in the field of Computational Intelligence with applications to Concealed Weapon Detection. His research interests lie within Data Science and Artificial Intelligence, ranging from theory to their application to Digital Healthcare and Threat Detection. Currently, he is consulting for and supervising PhD research projects in Non-Contact Vital Sign Measurement and Multi-Objective Concealed Weapon Detection. He has published in many high-impact journals and conferences, and organised/chaired special sessions including the IEEE CIBCB 2017 “Machine Learning in Medical Diagnosis and Prognosis”.
Dr. Rostami is the Programme Leader for multiple programmes at the postgraduate level:
- MS.c. Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (DSAI)
- MS.c. Applied Data Analytics (ADA)
- MS.c. Digital Health and Artificial Intelligence (DHAI)...
Dr. Rostami has taught both postgraduate and undergraduate units, such as Search and Optimisation, Artificial Intelligence, and Data Mining and Analytic Technologies. He is also committed to teaching Data Science to anyone, regardless of their educational background, e.g. his public videos on YouTube.more
Actively looking for a student to research in the area of Computational Intelligence.
- Rostami, S. and Shenfield, A., 2017. A multi-tier adaptive grid algorithm for the evolutionary multi-objective optimisation of complex problems. Soft Computing, 21 (17), 4963-4979.
- Rostami, S. and Neri, F., 2017. A fast hypervolume driven selection mechanism for many-objective optimisation problems. Swarm and Evolutionary Computation, 34, 50-67.
- Tsimperidis, G., Katos, V. and Rostami, S., 2017. Age Detection Through Keystroke Dynamics From User Authentication Failures. International Journal of Digital Crime and Forensics (IJDCF), 9 (1).
- Rostami, S., Neri, F. and Epitropakis, M., 2017. Progressive preference articulation for decision making in multi-objective optimisation problems. Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, 24 (4), 315-335.
- Rostami, S. and Neri, F., 2016. Covariance matrix adaptation pareto archived evolution strategy with hypervolume-sorted adaptive grid algorithm. Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, 23 (4), 313-329.
- Rostami, S., Reilly, D.O., Shenfield, A. and Bowring, N., 2015. A novel preference articulation operator for the Evolutionary Multi-Objective Optimisation of classifiers in concealed weapons detection. Information Sciences, 295 (C), 494-520.
- Saul, M.A. and Rostami, S., 2019. A comparison of re-sampling techniques for pattern classification in imbalanced data-sets. 240-251.
- Wilson, K. and Rostami, S., 2019. On the integrity of performance comparison for evolutionary multi-objective optimisation algorithms. 3-15.
- Tintarev, N., Rostami, S. and Smyth, B., 2018. Knowing the unknown: Visualising consumption blind-spots in recommender systems. 1396-1399.
- Shenfield, A. and Rostami, S., 2017. Multi-objective evolution of artificial neural networks in multi-class medical diagnosis problems with class imbalance.
- Shenfield, A. and Rostami, S., 2015. A multi objective approach to evolving artificial neural networks for coronary heart disease classification.
- Rostami, Shahin, Shenfield, A., Sigurnjak, S. and Fakorede, O., 2015. Evaluation of Mental Workload and Familiarity in Human Computer Interaction with Integrated Development Environments using Single-Channel EEG. In: Psychology of Programming Interest Group 2015 - 26th Annual Workshop, 2015 15-17 July 2015 Bournemouth.
- Rostami, S., Delves, P. and Shenfield, A., 2013. Evolutionary Multi-Objective Optimisation of an Automotive Active Steering Controller. In: Manchester Metropolitan University Research Symposium 25 April 2013 Manchester Metropolitan University. 1-3.
- Rostami, S. and Shenfield, A., 2012. CMA-PAES: Pareto archived evolution strategy using covariance matrix adaptation for multi-objective optimisation.
- Rostami, S., 2012. Adaptive Grid Archiving Combined with the Covariance Matrix Adaptation Evolution Strategy. In: Manchester Metropolitan University Research Symposium 2012 18 April 2012 Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Rostami, S., 2014. Preference Focussed Many-Objective Evolutionary Computation. PhD Thesis. Manchester Metropolitan University, Faculty of Science and Engineering.
- Mohammed AlQurashi
- Anupama Patil
- Kevin Wilson. Progressive Preference Articulation forMany-Objective Evolutionary Computation
- Waqas Jamil. Machine Learning
- Saygun Güler
- Daniel Dimanov
Profile of Teaching PG
- Python for Security
- Data Mining and Analytic Technologies
- Artificial Intelligence
- Search and Optimisation
Profile of Teaching UG
- Computers and Networks
- Principles of Programming
- Security information and Event Management (SIEM) (2 lectures, 1 lab, 2016-17, no longer teaching)
- Applications of Programming Principles
- New multidisciplinary adaptive computer interfaces for improved productivity and personal health (NVIDIA Corporation, 31 Oct 2016). Awarded
- IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (IEEE CIBCB 2017), Special Session Chair and Organiser (2017-), http://cibcb2017.org/; Machine Learning in Medical Diagnosis and Prognosis
- IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Special Session Organiser and Chair (2017-), http://cibcb2017.org/; Special Session on Machine Learning in Medical Diagnosis and Prognosis
- Bournemouth and Poole College, Link Tutor (2015-)
- Higher Education Academy (HEA), Fellow (2015-)
- Bournemouth and Poole College, Link Tutor (2015-)
- Innovation Leader, Department of Computing and Informatics
- Academic Advisor, Department of Computing and Informatics
- Unit Leader, Python for Security
- Unit Leader, Computers and Networks
- Unit Leader, Principles of Programming
- Co-ordinator, Intelligent Systems Research Group
- Member, Machine Intelligence Group
- Programme Leader, MSc Applied Data Analytics. <a href="https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/msc-applied-data-analytics" class="iconRight" target="blank">https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/msc-applied-data-analytics<i class="fa fa-external-link"></i></a>
- Research Mentor to Dr. Gernot Liebchen, Department of Computing and Informatics
- IPPPM, Independent Pay and Promotion Panel Members. <a href="https://staffintranet.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/news/thismonth/ipppmannouncementandinvitation.php" class="iconRight" target="blank">https://staffintranet.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/news/thismonth/ipppmannouncementandinvitation.php<i class="fa fa-external-link"></i></a>
- Member, Vision 4 Learning Steering Group
- Link Tutor, Bournemouth and Poole College Partnership
- Education Mentor to Gail Ollis, Department of Computing and Informatics
- Member, QAEG
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Cyber Security Program for the Festival of Learning
- Cyber Security Program for the King Edwards school visit
- Computational Intelligence Research Initiative
- Development Programme for IPPPMs - Part 1, 13 Oct 2016
- Development Programme for IPPPMs - Part 2, 13 Oct 2016
- Grants Academy, 10 Feb 2016
- Technology Enhanced Learning workshop, 13 Jan 2016
- Unconscious Bias Workshop, 01 Jan 2016
- Inclusive, Cohesive & Safe Campuses, 01 Jan 2016
- Education Quality Workshop, 03 Jun 2015
- Ethics 1: Good Research Practice, 01 Jan 2015
- Ethics 2: Working with Human Subjects, 01 Jan 2015
- Diversity in the Workplace, 01 Jan 2014
- Personal Learning Plans for Students with Dyslexia, 01 Dec 2013
- PhD in Computational Intelligence (Manchester Metropolitan University, 2014)
- BSc (Hons) in Computing (Manchester Metropolitan University, 2010)
- PGCAP (10 Credits) in Teaching and Learning (Manchester Metropolitan University, 2012)
- You're Brilliant Award (1) (Students' Union at Bournemouth University, 2016)
- TEL competition entry (Vision4Learning, 2016)
- You're Brilliant Award (2) (Students' Union at Bournemouth University, 2016)
- You're Brilliant Award (4) (Students' Union at Bournemouth University, 2017)
- You're Brilliant Award (3) (Students' Union at Bournemouth University, 2017)
- British Computer Scoiety, Member (2016-), http://www.bcs.org/
- Higher Education Academy, Senior Fellow (2016-), https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/
- IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, Member (2016-), http://cis.ieee.org/
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Member (2016-), https://www.ieee.org/index.html