Dr Shahin Rostami
- 01202 962403
- srostami at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer (Academic) in Computing
- Poole House P427, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr. Shahin Rostami is a Senior Academic (Assistant Professor) in Computational Intelligence within the Department of Computing and Informatics at the Bournemouth University, where he has been a faculty member since 2014.
Dr. Rostami holds a Ph.D. in the field of Computational Intelligence with applications to Concealed Weapon Detection. His research interests lie within the areas of Computational Intelligence and Machine Learning, ranging from theory to their application to complex real-world problems. He has published in many high-impact journals and conferences, organised and chaired special sessions, and reviewed for many journals and conferences. He also leads the Computational Intelligence Research Initiative (CIRI), and currently supervises 5 Ph.D. and 3 Ms.c. students in related subjects.
Dr. Rostami is the Programme Leader for MS.c. Applied Data Analytics (ADA), and holds the position of Innovation in Education Leader, with a focus on embedding technology-enhanced learning. Dr. Rostami has taught both postgraduate and undergraduate units, such as Data Mining and Analytic Technologies... He is also committed to teaching Computational Intelligence to anyone, regardless of their educational background, e.g. his public videos on YouTube.
Dr. Rostami also runs an undergraduate research group MARP (Mario A.I. Research Project) intended for undergraduate Computing Framework students at Bournemouth University. (http://shahinrostami.com/marp)more
Actively looking for a student to research in the area of Computational Intelligence.
- Rostami, S., Neri, F. and Epitropakis, M., 2017. Progressive Preference Articulation for Decision Making in Multi-Objective Optimisation Problems. Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering.
- Tsimperidis, I., Rostami, S. and Katos, V., 2017. Age detection through keystroke dynamics from user authentication failures. International Journal of Digital Crime and Forensics, 9 (1), 1-16.
- Rostami, S. and Neri, F., 2016. A Fast Hypervolume Driven Selection Mechanism for Many-Objective Optimisation Problems. Swarm and Evolutionary Computation.
- Rostami, S. and Shenfield, A., 2016. A multi-tier adaptive grid algorithm for the evolutionary multi-objective optimisation of complex problems. Soft Computing.
- Rostami, S. and Neri, F., 2016. Covariance matrix adaptation pareto archived evolution strategy with hypervolume-sorted adaptive grid algorithm. Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, 23 (4), 313-329.
- Rostami, S., Reilly, D.O., Shenfield, A. and Bowring, N., 2015. A novel preference articulation operator for the Evolutionary Multi-Objective Optimisation of classifiers in concealed weapons detection. Information Sciences, 295 (C), 494-520.
- Saul, M.A. and Rostami, S., 2018. A Comparison of Re-sampling Techniques for Pattern Classification in Imbalanced Data-Sets. In: UKCI 2018 : 18TH ANNUAL UK WORKSHOP ON COMPUTATIONAL INTELLIGENCE 5-7 September 2018 Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham, United Kingdom.
- Wilson, K. and Rostami, S., 2018. On the Integrity of Performance Comparison for Evolutionary Multi-objective Optimisation Algorithms. In: UKCI 2018 : 18TH ANNUAL UK WORKSHOP ON COMPUTATIONAL INTELLIGENCE 5-7 September 2018 Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham, United Kingdom.
- Nava, T., Rostami, S. and Smyth, B., 2018. Knowing the unknown: visualising consumption blind-spots in recommender system. In: Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC) 9-13 April 2018 Pau, France.
- Shenfield, A. and Rostami, S., 2017. Multi-objective evolution of artificial neural networks in multi-class medical diagnosis problems with class imbalance. In: IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology 23 August-25 June 2017 Manchester.
- Shenfield, A. and Rostami, S., 2015. A Multi objective Approach to Evolving Artificial Neural Networks for Coronary Heart Disease Classification. In: Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology 12-15 August 2015 IEEE.
- Rostami, Shahin, Shenfield, A., Sigurnjak, S. and Fakorede, O., 2015. Evaluation of Mental Workload and Familiarity in Human Computer Interaction with Integrated Development Environments using Single-Channel EEG. In: Psychology of Programming Interest Group 2015 - 26th Annual Workshop, 2015 15-17 July 2015 Bournemouth.
- Rostami, S., Delves, P. and Shenfield, A., 2013. Evolutionary Multi-Objective Optimisation of an Automotive Active Steering Controller. In: Manchester Metropolitan University Research Symposium 25 April 2013 Manchester Metropolitan University. 1-3.
- Rostami, S. and Shenfield, A., 2012. CMA-PAES: Pareto archived evolution strategy using covariance matrix adaptation for multi-objective optimisation.
- Rostami, S., 2012. Adaptive Grid Archiving Combined with the Covariance Matrix Adaptation Evolution Strategy. In: Manchester Metropolitan University Research Symposium 2012 18 April 2012 Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Rostami, S., 2014. Preference Focussed Many-Objective Evolutionary Computation. PhD Thesis. Manchester Metropolitan University, Faculty of Science and Engineering.
- Mohammed AlQurashi
- Anupama Patil
- Kevin Wilson. Progressive Preference Articulation forMany-Objective Evolutionary Computation
- Waqas Jamil. Machine Learning
- Luu Duc Trung. Deep Learning
Profile of Teaching PG
- Python for Security
- Data Mining and Analytic Technologies
Profile of Teaching UG
- Computers and Networks
- Principles of Programming
- Security information and Event Management (SIEM) (2 lectures, 1 lab, 2016-17, no longer teaching)
- New multidisciplinary adaptive computer interfaces for improved productivity and personal health (NVIDIA Corporation, 31 Oct 2016). Awarded
- IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (IEEE CIBCB 2017), Special Session Chair and Organiser (2017-), http://cibcb2017.org/; Machine Learning in Medical Diagnosis and Prognosis
- IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Special Session Organiser and Chair (2017-), http://cibcb2017.org/; Special Session on Machine Learning in Medical Diagnosis and Prognosis
- Bournemouth and Poole College, Link Tutor (2015-)
- Higher Education Academy (HEA), Fellow (2015-)
- Bournemouth and Poole College, Link Tutor (2015-)
- Innovation Leader, Department of Computing and Informatics
- Academic Advisor, Department of Computing and Informatics
- Unit Leader, Python for Security
- Unit Leader, Computers and Networks
- Unit Leader, Principles of Programming
- Co-ordinator, Intelligent Systems Research Group
- Member, Machine Intelligence Group
- Programme Leader, MSc Applied Data Analytics. <a href="https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/msc-applied-data-analytics" class="iconRight" target="blank">https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/msc-applied-data-analytics<i class="fa fa-external-link"></i></a>
- Research Mentor to Dr. Gernot Liebchen, Department of Computing and Informatics
- IPPPM, Independent Pay and Promotion Panel Members. <a href="https://staffintranet.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/news/thismonth/ipppmannouncementandinvitation.php" class="iconRight" target="blank">https://staffintranet.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/news/thismonth/ipppmannouncementandinvitation.php<i class="fa fa-external-link"></i></a>
- Member, Vision 4 Learning Steering Group
- Link Tutor, Bournemouth and Poole College Partnership
- Education Mentor to Gail Ollis, Department of Computing and Informatics
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Cyber Security Program for the Festival of Learning
- Cyber Security Program for the King Edwards school visit
- Computational Intelligence Research Initiative
- Development Programme for IPPPMs - Part 1, 13 Oct 2016
- Development Programme for IPPPMs - Part 2, 13 Oct 2016
- Grants Academy, 10 Feb 2016
- Technology Enhanced Learning workshop, 13 Jan 2016
- Unconscious Bias Workshop, 01 Jan 2016
- Inclusive, Cohesive & Safe Campuses, 01 Jan 2016
- Education Quality Workshop, 03 Jun 2015
- Ethics 1: Good Research Practice, 01 Jan 2015
- Ethics 2: Working with Human Subjects, 01 Jan 2015
- Diversity in the Workplace, 01 Jan 2014
- Personal Learning Plans for Students with Dyslexia, 01 Dec 2013
- PhD in Computational Intelligence (Manchester Metropolitan University, 2014)
- BSc (Hons) in Computing (Manchester Metropolitan University, 2010)
- PGCAP (10 Credits) in Teaching and Learning (Manchester Metropolitan University, 2012)
- You're Brilliant Award (1) (Students' Union at Bournemouth University, 2016)
- TEL competition entry (Vision4Learning, 2016)
- You're Brilliant Award (2) (Students' Union at Bournemouth University, 2016)
- You're Brilliant Award (4) (Students' Union at Bournemouth University, 2017)
- You're Brilliant Award (3) (Students' Union at Bournemouth University, 2017)
- British Computer Scoiety, Member (2016-), http://www.bcs.org/
- Higher Education Academy, Senior Fellow (2016-), https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/
- IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, Member (2016-), http://cis.ieee.org/
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Member (2016-), https://www.ieee.org/index.html