Dr Shanti Shanker
- 01202 965533
- sshanker at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer (Academic) in Psychology
- Poole House P250, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
My current research focuses on the brain mechanisms of cognitive control (or inhibition), memory and executive functions. One of my longstanding interest is to understand a) how the striatum and hippocampus based learning systems interact b) the white matter connections between the frontal lobe and the hippocampus, especially, in patients with neurological disorders.
Eventually, I am interested to understand the relationship between memory control and emotional regulation, and how it affects resilience and stress in everyday life. Finally, my aim is to use these empirical findings to inform rehabilitation strategies in people diagnosed with neurological disorders and to create more awareness about mental health and cognitive decline especially in people with neurological disorders.
To answer research questions, I use behavioural, neuropsychological approaches in neurological patients and healthy controls. I employ methods including diffusion tensor imaging (DTI), fMRI/lesion analysis approaches and electrical stimulation (tDCS/TMS in healthy controls) to understand the brain mechanisms underlying the cognition...
I am also associated with the Ageing and Dementia Research Centre (ADRC) and supervise students and contribute to various research projects (https://research.bournemouth.ac.uk/centre/ageing-dementia-research-centre/).more
- Grzeschik, R., Conroy-Dalton, R., Innes, A., Shanker, S. and Wiener, J., 2019. The contribution of visual attention and declining verbal memory abilities to age-related route learning deficits. Cognition.
- Hicks, B., Carroll, D., Shanker, S. and El-Zeind, A., 2017. ‘Well I’m still the Diva!’ Enabling people with dementia to express their identity through graffiti arts: Innovative practice. Dementia: The International Journal of Social Research and Practice.
- Shanker, S. and Panikker, D.M., 2017. What Lies Beneath? An exploration of Secrets held by Urban Youth DOI:10.25215/0403.123. The International Journal of Indian Psychology, 30.
- Turnbull, O.H., Bowman, C.H., Shanker, S. and Davies, J.L., 2014. Emotion-based learning: Insights from the Iowa Gambling Task. Frontiers in Psychology.
- Salas, C.E., Vaughan, F., Shanker, S. and Turnbull, O.H., 2013. Stuck in a moment, Concreteness and psychotherapy after acquired brain injury. Journal of Neuro-disability & Psychotherapy,, 1 (1), 1-38.
- Nair, G., Van Dyk, K., Shah, U., Purohit, D.P., Shah, A.B., Grossman, H., Perl, D., Ganwir, V., Shanker, S. and Sano, M., 2012. Characterizing cognitive deficits and dementia in an aging urban population in India. International Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease..
- Race, E.A., Shanker, S. and Wagner, A.D., 2009. Neural Priming in Human Prefrontal Cortex: Multiple Forms of Learning Reduce Demands on the Prefrontal Executive System. J Cogn. Neuroscience, 21:9, 1766-1781.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Clinical and Cognitive Neuropsychology
Profile of Teaching UG
- Experimental Methods and Statistical Analysis (EMSA) 2b
- Biological and Cognitive Psychology (BOCS)
- Experimental Methods and Statistical Analysis (EMSA 1b)
- BRANES – Building Resilience and Awareness through Neuropsychology Education in the Society (British Psychological Society Public Engagement Grant, 01 Dec 2016). In Progress
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- City Cordinator, Pint of Science, May 2018
- Speaker, Cafe Scientifique, March 2018
- Speaker, Global Festival of Learning, India, 2018
- Interactive Workshop, FoL, Bournemouth UK, 2017
- City Cordinator, Pint of Science, May 2017
- Speaker, SoapBox Science, 2016
- Volunteer, SoapBox Science, London 2017
- Speaker, SoapBox Science, Bournemouth, 2018
- MSc in Psychology (University of Madras, India, 2005)
- MSc in Foundations of Clinical Neuropsychology (Bangor University, Wales, UK, 2012)
- PhD in Psychology (Neuropsychology) (Bangor University, Wales, 2016)