Dr Sally Weston
- 01202 961850
- sweston at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Principal Academic
- Weymouth House W250, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Sally is a solicitor ⃰ a Senior Principal Academic and member of Centre for Intellectual Property and Policy (CIPPM). Before joining Bournemouth University, Sally worked in private practice dealing with company and commercial work and in-house as European Legal Counsel with Eaton Corporation a US based multi-national. In the 1990s she co-founded a high growth company in the satellite earth station market and worked as Commercial Director raising venture finance and overseeing the company's international operations. Sally maintains her interest in enterprise and innovation and combines this with her research interest on the relationship between competition law and intellectual property.
Sally’s experience in Higher Education includes four years as an executive member of the Business School and two years as an executive member of the Faculty of Media and Communication. Until 2016 Sally was Head of the Department of Law. She has held other positions of responsibility within Bournemouth University including Leader of Law Undergraduate Programmes and Acting Director of the Legal Practice Course...
Teaching has included company law, commercial law and competition law on undergraduate, postgraduate and professional courses. Sally has experience as an SRA external examiner at Oxford Institute of Legal Practice and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a Member of the Society of Legal Scholars.
Sally’s research focuses on the legal regulation of software and data by intellectual property and competition law. Recent work considered the regulation of intellectual property rights in software interfaces and their effect on software interoperability, concentrating on its impact on oligopolistic markets characterised by vendor lock-in. Related research includes the impact of Open Standards in public procurement as part of a Commissioned Project by the UK Cabinet Office (Principal Investigator). Present research considers the interoperability, standardisation and opportunities to exploit big data from V2X and similar vehicle transport systems.
- Weston, S., 2017. Improving interoperability by encouraging the sharing of interface specifications. Law, Innovation and Technology, 9 (1), 78-116.
- Weston, S., 2012. Software Interfaces - Stuck in the Middle: The Relationship Between the Law and Software Interfaces in Regulating and Encouraging INteroperability. IIC International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law, 43 (4), 427-450.
- Weston, S. and Mckeown, S., 2017. The impact of TEF on law teaching. In: Association of Law Teachers 10-11 April 2017 Portsmouth University.
- Weston, S., 2017. A modest reform of the Software Directive to encourage the sharing, publicising and promotion of software interface specifications to improve interoperability,. In: BILETA 2017 20-21 April 2017 University of Minho, Braga.
- Weston, S., 2016. Promoting Interoperability. In: WIPO Advanced Intellectual Property Research Forum 24-26 May 2016 WIPO Geneva.
- Weston, S., 2015. Encouraging interoperability by the sharing of interface information obtained by reverse engineering. In: European Policy for Intellectual Property 2-3 September 2015 Glasgow University.
- Weston, S., 2010. Article 102 TFEU and software interoperability post-Microsoft: the limits of the "exceptional circumstances test". In: Society of Legal Scholars 13-16 September 2010 Southampton University.
- Weston, S., 2009. Interoperability and innovation. In: Society of Legal Scholars 7-10 September 2009 Keele University.
- Weston, S. and Kretschmer, M., 2012. Open Standards in Government IT: A Review of the Evidence. UK Cabinet Office.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Commercial Law
- Business Law and Practice
Profile of Teaching UG
- Commercial Law and Transactions
- ‘Open Standards in Government IT: A Review of the Evidence’ (UK Cabinet Office, 01 Jan 2012). Completed
- PhD in Law (Bournemouth University, 2016)
- Law Society Final Examination in Law (1985)
- PGDip in European Management and Employment Law (2000)
- PGCE in Academic Practice (2007)
- BA (Hons) in Law (1979)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (-2005),
- Society of Legal Scholars, Member,
- Solicitor of Supreme Court of England & Wales, Solicitor (non practicing), Member,