Dr Tongai Chichaya
- 01202 961389
- tchichaya at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Occupational Therapy and Health Psychology
- Bournemouth Gateway Building BG504, St Pauls Lane, Bournemouth, BH8 8GP
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Tongai Fibion Chichaya is an experienced occupational therapist and occupational scientist who holds a Bsc (Hons) in Occupational Therapy from the University of Zimbabwe; Masters in Public Health from the University of Namibia and a PhD in occupational therapy from the University of KwaZulu Natal in South Africa. His PhD focused on applying the occupational justice framework in disability policy analysis. In addition to describing occupational inconsideration as a new form of occupational injustice, he developed occupational participation focused guidelines for disability policy formulation.
Before joining Bournemouth University, Tongai previously worked in Zimbabwe, Namibia and British Overseas Territories. His previous roles include clinical occupational therapy rotations; being the National Coordinator for a community based rehabilitation program within primary health care services; Rehabilitation Quality Specialist with a key focus on return to work, driving rehab, assistive technology, & home adaptations; and being Vice President of the Occupational Therapy Africa Regional Group...
Tongai is passionate about the use of knowledge translation to create and promote opportunities for persons with disabilities to participate in daily activities of their choice and need be it in school, work or community. He firmly believes inclusion of persons with disabilities is a requisite for the attainment of Sustainable Development Goals.more
- Chibaya, G., Chichaya, T.F., Govender, P. and Naidoo, D., 2022. Implementation of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Africa: A Scoping Review. Disability, CBR and Inclusive Development, 32 (4), 134-154.
- Chichaya, T.F., Lashmar, S., Chibaya, G. and Nhunzvi, C., 2022. The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on occupational performance among people with disabilities and strategies for bouncing back: A rapid scoping review. World Federation of Occupational Therapists Bulletin.
- Chichaya, T.F., Joubert, R.W.E. and McColl, M.A., 2020. Voices on disability issues in Namibia: Evidence for entrenching occupational justice in disability policy formulation. Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 27 (1), 14-27.
- Chichaya, T., 2019. Applying the occupational justice framework in disability policy analysis in Namibia. South African Journal of Occupational Therapy, 49 (1), 19-25.
- Chichaya, T.F., Joubert, R.W.E. and McColl, M.A., 2018. Analysing disability policy in Namibia: An occupational justice perspective. African Journal of Disability, 7.
Profile of Teaching PG
- MSc Public Health Dissertation Project
Profile of Teaching UG
- Becoming An Occupational Therapist
- Occupational Therapy in Action I
- Occupational Therapi in Action II
- Professional Reasoning for Occupational Therapy Practice
- Research for Occupational Therapy Practice L6
- Virtual Simulation project for L4 Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy Students (HEE, 01 Dec 2021). Awarded
- World Federation of Occupational Therapists Congress Grant (World Federation of Occupational Therapists, 21 May 2018). Awarded
- OTARG Bursary (Rosemary Crouch Trust, 2015) (Rosemary Crouch Trust, 2015, 11 May 2015). Awarded
- WFOT Congress Grant (World Federation of Occupational Therapists, 16 Jun 2014). Awarded
- PhD Research Sponsorship (University of KwaZulu Natal, 26 Aug 2013). Awarded
- wfot Thelma Cardwell Foundation, External Reviewer- Research Grants (2021-2022)
- World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT), Congress Scientific Programme Committee Member (2020-), https://wfot.org/
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists, External Reviewer -Research and Innovation Awards (2020-2023)
- Access Dorset, Volunteer (2019-), http://accessdorset.org.uk/
- Occupational Therapy Africa Regional Group, Vice President (2015-2019), http://otarg.org.za/
- Disability, CBR and Inclusive Development, Anonymous peer review, 30 Jun 2021
- World Federation of Occupational Therapists Bulletin, Anonymous peer review, 25 Jan 2017
- African Health Sciences Journal, Anonymous peer review, 02 Aug 2016
- International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation, Anonymous peer review, 01 Jun 2015
- 17th World Federation of Occupational Therapists Congress, Applying the Occupational Justice Framework in Disability Policy Formulation in Namibia, 21 May 2018, Cape Town, South Africa
- 9th Occupational Therapy Africa Regional Group Congress, Occupational Therapy and Politics in Africa: Who Gets What When and How?, 07 Sep 2015, Kampala, Uganda
- 9th Occupational Therapy Africa Regional Group Congress, The Motor Vehicle Accident Fund (MVAF) Namibia, Return to Work Programme: Roles of the Occupational Therapy Profession., 07 Sep 2015, Kampala, Uganda
- 16th World Federation of Occupational Therapists, Factors Associated with Approval and Rejection of Disability Pension Applications in Namibia: Opportunities to Raise the Occupational Therapy Profile in a Non-traditional Practice Setting., 18 Jun 2014, Yokohama, Japan
- 8th Occupational Therapy Africa Regional Group Congress, Determination of eligibility for disability benefits in Khomas Region, Namibia., 19 Aug 2013, Harare, Zimbabwe
- Ideas for a Better World: Leading Change Through Policymaking offered by British Council, 07 Jun 2019, Certificate
- The NSMC’s Level 4 Social Marketing Award, 29 Jan 2018, Certificate (Level 4)
- Functional Capacity Evaluation for Physical work performance offered by ErgoScience, 20 Jul 2016, FCE Certificate & Licence
- Assessment of drivers with disabilities, prescription and training use of car adaptations
- PhD in Occupational Therapy (University of KwaZulu Natal, 2019)
- MPH in Masters in Public Health (University of Namibia, 2013)
- BSc (Hons) in Occupational Therapy (University of Zimbabwe, 2004)
- MVA Fund CEO’s Award for Innovation & Excellence (Motor Vehicle Accident Fund, Namibia, 2015)
- Allied Health Professions Council of Namibia (HPCNA), Member,
- Occupational Therapy Africa Regional Group (OTARG), Member,
- Registered Occupational Therapist HCPC, Member,
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists, Member,
- World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT), Member,
- Zimbabwe Association of Occupational Therapists (ZAOT), Member,