Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I combine the rigour of quantitative data with qualitative assessment to focus on the geo-politics of the MENA region. I am bilingual (English, Farsi-Dari), I have witnessed war and revolution first hand, and I have been involved in research for many years. These enable me to understand the impact of political violence well beyond the confines of the text book. I have been the sole researcher on a project on hybrid war for NATO, and I have developed my capacity to work on quantitative finance. I am highly skilled at data mining and analysis. I have researched and taught extensively and very happy to learn and to be challenged.
- Morakabati, Y. and Beavis, J., 2017. Do Terrorist Attacks Leave an Identifiable ‘Fingerprint’ on International Tourist Arrival Data? International Journal of Tourism Research, 19 (2), 179-190.
- Morakabati, Y., Page, S.J. and Fletcher, J., 2017. Emergency Management and Tourism Stakeholder Responses to Crises: A Global Survey. Journal of Travel Research, 56 (3), 299-316.
- Morakabati, Y. and Kapuściński, G., 2016. Personality, Risk Perception, Benefit Sought and Terrorism Effect. International Journal of Tourism Research, 18 (5), 506-514.
- Morakabati, Y., Beavis, J. and Fletcher, J., 2014. To cite this article: Yeganeh Morakabati, John Beavis & John Fletcher (2014) Planning for a Qatar Without Oil: Tourism and Economic Diversification, a Battle of Perceptions, Tourism Planning & Development, 11:4, 415-434, DOI: 10.1080/21568316.2014.884978 Planning for a Qatar without Oil: Tourism and Economic Diversification, a battle of perceptions. Tourism Planning & Development., 11 (4), 415-434.
- Morakabati, Y., 2013. Tourism in the middle east: Conflicts, crises and economic diversification, some critical issues. International Journal of Tourism Research, 15 (4), 375-387.
- Morakabati,, Y., Fletcher, J. and Prideaux, B., 2012. Tourism development in a difficult environment: a study of consumer attitudes, travel risk perceptions and the termination of demand. Tourism Economics, 18 (5), 953-969.
- Morakabati, Y., 2010. Deterrents of tourism development in Iran. International Journal of Tourism Research.
- Fletcher, J. and Morakabati, Y., 2008. Tourism Activity, Terrorism and Political Instability within the Commonwealth: The cases of Fiji and Kenya. International Journal of Tourism Research, 10, 537-556.
- Webster, A., Fletcher, J., Hardwick, P. and Morakabati, Y., 2007. Tourism and Empirical Applications of International Trade Theory: A Multi-Country Analysis. Tourism Economics, 13, 657-674.
- Fox, D., Gouthro, M., Morakabati, Y. and Brackstone, J., 2014. Doing Events Research: From Theory to Practice. Routledge.
- Fletcher, J. and Morakabati, Y., 2014. The United Kingdom, in Encyclopaedia of Tourism. Encyclopaedia of Tourism. Sage.
- Petford, N., Fletcher, J. and Morakabati, Y., 2010. On the economics and social typology of volcano tourism with special reference to Montserrat, West Indies. Volcano and Geothermal Tourism: Sustainable Geo-Resources for Leisure and Recreation. 85-93.
- Morakabati, Y., Petford, N. and Fletcher, J., 2010. On the economics and social typology of volcano tourism with special reference to Montserrat, West Indies. Volcano and geothermal tourism. London: Earthscan.
- Hybrid threats (North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), 01 Jul 2017). In Progress
- State of play the impact of geopolitical events on international tourism (Travel Zoo, 01 Jan 2017). Completed
- Challenging extremism (EdVenture Partners+ USA publuc partners, 01 Jan 2016). Completed
- The economic impact of Gibraltar on the Campo de Gibraltar (Gibraltar Chamber of Commerce, 01 Jan 2015). Completed
- Challenging extremism (2015) (EdVenture Partners + public partners, 01 Jan 2015). Completed
- The Impact of wind farms on tourism in the UK (EDF Energy, 01 Jan 2014). Completed
- The Impact of the Boscombe Artificial Surf Reef. (Crown Estate, 01 Jan 2014). Completed
- Morakabati, Y., Gordon, R., and Fletcher, J., (2014) The integration of the travel and tourism industry into national emergency plans, UN WTO (UNWTO, 01 Jan 2012). Completed
- The economic impact of Gibraltar on the Campo de Gibraltar (Chamber of Commerce, Gibraltar, 01 Jan 2009). Completed
- The economic Impact of Bournemouth University on the Regional Economy. (Bournemouth University, 01 Jan 2009). Completed
- Commonwealth Tourism Centre (online database and analysis) with A Fyall and J Fletcher completed (Commonwealth Tourism Centre, 01 Jan 2007). Completed
- SWISS UMEF- Kabul, Afghanistan, Adjunct Professor (2015-)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy,
External Media and Press
- How terrorist attacks affect tourism, bbc, 29 Jun 2015. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33310217
- Can Tunisia’s tourist industry survive the terror attack?, Yorkshier Post, 01 Jul 2015. http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/features/can-tunisia-s-tourist-industry-survive-the-terror-attack-1-7337134
- Tourism and terrorism in Tunisa, BBC TV News at 10, 11 Jul 2015. http://mms.tveyes.com/PlaybackPortal.aspx?SavedEditID=7fa172d0-5772-49c5-b94c-8f0b01b2df94
- Tourism, Risk and Recovery in Tunisia, BBC Radio 5 Live, 11 Jul 2015. http://mms.tveyes.com/PlaybackPortal.aspx?SavedEditID=5a230020-65cb-4546-9acb-34eeee317953
- Risk to tourists in terrorism hotspots on national radio., LBC live radio, 12 Jul 2015. http://mms.tveyes.com/PlaybackPortal.aspx?SavedEditID=67c9a726-0d90-4879-9cd3-19c6dd192bfe
- ‘Summer of Discontent’ Has Transformed Britain’s Travel Habits, CNBC. http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/29/pr-newswire-asummer-of-discontenta-has-transformed-britainas-travel-habits.html
- Calais migrant crisis and Tunisia terror attacks putting Britons off travelling abroad, Daily Express. http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/608849/britons-travel-terror-Tunisia-attacks-refugee-camp-Calais
- Terror attacks on tourism hit poor countries the hardest, Financial Times. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/870bd692-977b-11e5-9228-87e603d47bdc.html#axzz3wwi3PXGT
- Can Middle East tourism ever recover?, Thegaurdian. http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/nov/24/can-middle-east-tourism-ever-recover-terrorist-attacks-egypt-tunisia
- Britons abroad: Have you been put off going abroad?, SKY news. http://mms.tveyes.com/playerlette.aspx?StationID=530&StartDateTime=09/30/2015+08:20:33&Duration=306&ShowAllControls=true&MaxWidth=320&PartnerID=1535&ShowScrubber=true&refchecked=1
- Muslim countries avoided by three quarters of British holidaymakers, according to survey –, Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/muslim-countries-avoided-by-three-quarters-of-british-holidaymakers-according-to-survey-a6681041.html
- Three in four British holidaymakers 'now avoiding Muslim countries, the Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/11912275/Three-in-four-British-holidaymakers-now-avoiding-Muslim-countries.html
- Come home without your luggage: Fury as 20,000 stranded Britons are told they can fly home from Sharm... but only with the bare essentials, Daily mail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3306177/Come-home-without-luggage-Fury-20-000-stranded-Britons-told-fly-home-Sharm-bare-essentials.html
- French Tourism Expected to See Short-Term Downturn From Terror Attacks, CNBC. http://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel/french-tourism-expected-see-short-term-downturn-terror-attacks-n464956
- More Flights Cancelled As Fear Sets In Over Downed Russian Plane, NewsWeek. http://europe.newsweek.com/more-flights-cancelled-fear-sets-over-downed-russian-plane-336058
- The effects of the recent terrorist attacks on Egyptian tourism, the economy and on other countries in and around the Mena region., BBC NEWS. http://mms.tveyes.com/playerlette.aspx?StationID=800&StartDateTime=01/09/2016+19:15:41&Duration=305&ShowAllControls=true&MaxWidth=320&PartnerID=1535&ShowScrubber=true&refchecked=1
- Арабы заменят россиян и англичан на курортах Хургады и Шарм-эль-Шейха, nv. http://nv.ua/publications/terakt-v-rossijskom-samolete-nad-sinaem-nanes-moshchnyj-udar-po-turizmu-i-ekonomike-egipta-83838.html
- http://politiken.dk/rejser/nyheder/ECE2977596/turismeforsker-terrorangreb-i-paris-kan-vaere-glemt-inden-laenge/, politiken. turismeforsker:%20Terrorangreb%20i%20Paris%20kan%20v%C3%A6re%20glemt%20inden%20l%C3%A6nge
- Gobierno egipcio lanza un plan para salvar a la golpeada industria turística, Economia y Negocios. http://www.economiaynegocios.cl/noticias/noticias.asp?id=200345
- ISIS nutjobs threaten Brit holidaymakers' great Xmas getaway, Daily Star. http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/479406/isis-winter-sun-christmas-getaway-prices-soaring
- The potential impact of the terror attack in Barcelona on the tourist industry, BBC 5 live. http://mms.tveyes.com/PlaybackPortal.aspx?SavedEditID=c19cb5d1-9c52-4838-98ed-dc722ae1d7f9
- Would terrorism 'blue flags' for hotels and airports save lives?, Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/security-terrorism-kite-marks-blue-flag-safety/
- Study finds security tops tourist concerns in holiday choice, Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tourism-security-report-idUSKBN16F00B