Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I enjoy analysing data and my focus has been around the MENA region and East Africa. My past research has examined the effects of political violence on people’s perception of risk, how these affect the movement of people, changes the perception towards others and affects business confidence. At present my focus has turned to hybrid war, political shocks and their economic effects. My comfort with data means I can go beyond the description of geopolitical and historical understanding of the region. Yet, my regional background and knowledge means the test statistics are more than a methodology to me, it is intrinsic. I have two case studies for the next REF.
- Morakabati, Y., Page, S.J. and Fletcher, J., 2017. Emergency Management and Tourism Stakeholder Responses to Crises: A Global Survey. JOURNAL OF TRAVEL RESEARCH, 56 (3), 299-316.
- Morakabati, Y. and Beavis, J., 2017. Do Terrorist Attacks Leave an Identifiable "Fingerprint' on International Tourist Arrival Data? INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF TOURISM RESEARCH, 19 (2), 179-190.
- Morakabati, Y. and Kapuscinski, G., 2016. Personality, Risk Perception, Benefit Sought and Terrorism Effect. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF TOURISM RESEARCH, 18 (5), 506-514.
- Morakabati, Y., Beavis, J. and Fletcher, J., 2014. To cite this article: Yeganeh Morakabati, John Beavis & John Fletcher (2014) Planning for a Qatar Without Oil: Tourism and Economic Diversification, a Battle of Perceptions, Tourism Planning & Development, 11:4, 415-434, DOI: 10.1080/21568316.2014.884978 Planning for a Qatar without Oil: Tourism and Economic Diversification, a battle of perceptions. Tourism Planning & Development., 11 (4), 415-434.
- Morakabati, Y., 2013. Tourism in the middle east: Conflicts, crises and economic diversification, some critical issues. International Journal of Tourism Research, 15 (4), 375-387.
- Morakabati,, Y., Fletcher, J. and Prideaux, B., 2012. Tourism development in a difficult environment: a study of consumer attitudes, travel risk perceptions and the termination of demand. Tourism Economics, 18 (5), 953-969.
- Morakabati, Y., 2010. Deterrents of tourism development in Iran. International Journal of Tourism Research.
- Fletcher, J. and Morakabati, Y., 2008. Tourism Activity, Terrorism and Political Instability within the Commonwealth: The cases of Fiji and Kenya. International Journal of Tourism Research, 10, 537-556.
- Webster, A., Fletcher, J., Hardwick, P. and Morakabati, Y., 2007. Tourism and Empirical Applications of International Trade Theory: A Multi-Country Analysis. Tourism Economics, 13, 657-674.
- Fox, D., Gouthro, M., Morakabati, Y. and Brackstone, J., 2014. Doing Events Research: From Theory to Practice. Routledge.
- Fletcher, J. and Morakabati, Y., 2014. The United Kingdom, in Encyclopaedia of Tourism. Encyclopaedia of Tourism. Sage.
- Petford, N., Fletcher, J. and Morakabati, Y., 2010. On the economics and social typology of volcano tourism with special reference to Montserrat, West Indies. Volcano and Geothermal Tourism: Sustainable Geo-Resources for Leisure and Recreation. 85-93.
- Morakabati, Y., Petford, N., Fletcher, J. and Morakabati, Y., 2010. On the economics and social typology of volcano tourism with special reference to Montserrat, West Indies. Volcano and geothermal tourism. London: Earthscan.
- Hybrid threats (North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), 01 Jul 2017). In Progress
- State of play the impact of geopolitical events on international tourism (Travel Zoo, 01 Jan 2017). Completed
- Challenging extremism (EdVenture Partners+ USA publuc partners, 01 Jan 2016). Completed
- Challenging extremism (2015) (EdVenture Partners + public partners, 01 Jan 2015). Completed
- The economic impact of Gibraltar on the Campo de Gibraltar (Gibraltar Chamber of Commerce, 01 Jan 2015). Completed
- The Impact of the Boscombe Artificial Surf Reef. (Crown Estate, 01 Jan 2014). Completed
- The Impact of wind farms on tourism in the UK (EDF Energy, 01 Jan 2014). Completed
- Morakabati, Y., Gordon, R., and Fletcher, J., (2014) The integration of the travel and tourism industry into national emergency plans, UN WTO (UNWTO, 01 Jan 2012). Completed
- The economic Impact of Bournemouth University on the Regional Economy. (Bournemouth University, 01 Jan 2009). Completed
- The economic impact of Gibraltar on the Campo de Gibraltar (Chamber of Commerce, Gibraltar, 01 Jan 2009). Completed
- Commonwealth Tourism Centre (online database and analysis) with A Fyall and J Fletcher completed (Commonwealth Tourism Centre, 01 Jan 2007). Completed
- SWISS UMEF- Kabul, Afghanistan, Adjunct Professor (2015-)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy,
External Media and Press
- Study finds security tops tourist concerns in holiday choice, Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tourism-security-report-idUSKBN16F00B
- Would terrorism 'blue flags' for hotels and airports save lives?, Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/security-terrorism-kite-marks-blue-flag-safety/
- The potential impact of the terror attack in Barcelona on the tourist industry, BBC 5 live. http://mms.tveyes.com/PlaybackPortal.aspx?SavedEditID=c19cb5d1-9c52-4838-98ed-dc722ae1d7f9
- ISIS nutjobs threaten Brit holidaymakers' great Xmas getaway, Daily Star. http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/479406/isis-winter-sun-christmas-getaway-prices-soaring
- Gobierno egipcio lanza un plan para salvar a la golpeada industria turística, Economia y Negocios. http://www.economiaynegocios.cl/noticias/noticias.asp?id=200345
- http://politiken.dk/rejser/nyheder/ECE2977596/turismeforsker-terrorangreb-i-paris-kan-vaere-glemt-inden-laenge/, politiken. turismeforsker:%20Terrorangreb%20i%20Paris%20kan%20v%C3%A6re%20glemt%20inden%20l%C3%A6nge
- Арабы заменят россиян и англичан на курортах Хургады и Шарм-эль-Шейха, nv. http://nv.ua/publications/terakt-v-rossijskom-samolete-nad-sinaem-nanes-moshchnyj-udar-po-turizmu-i-ekonomike-egipta-83838.html
- The effects of the recent terrorist attacks on Egyptian tourism, the economy and on other countries in and around the Mena region., BBC NEWS. http://mms.tveyes.com/playerlette.aspx?StationID=800&StartDateTime=01/09/2016+19:15:41&Duration=305&ShowAllControls=true&MaxWidth=320&PartnerID=1535&ShowScrubber=true&refchecked=1
- More Flights Cancelled As Fear Sets In Over Downed Russian Plane, NewsWeek. http://europe.newsweek.com/more-flights-cancelled-fear-sets-over-downed-russian-plane-336058
- French Tourism Expected to See Short-Term Downturn From Terror Attacks, CNBC. http://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel/french-tourism-expected-see-short-term-downturn-terror-attacks-n464956
- Come home without your luggage: Fury as 20,000 stranded Britons are told they can fly home from Sharm... but only with the bare essentials, Daily mail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3306177/Come-home-without-luggage-Fury-20-000-stranded-Britons-told-fly-home-Sharm-bare-essentials.html
- Three in four British holidaymakers 'now avoiding Muslim countries, the Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/11912275/Three-in-four-British-holidaymakers-now-avoiding-Muslim-countries.html
- Muslim countries avoided by three quarters of British holidaymakers, according to survey –, Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/muslim-countries-avoided-by-three-quarters-of-british-holidaymakers-according-to-survey-a6681041.html
- Britons abroad: Have you been put off going abroad?, SKY news. http://mms.tveyes.com/playerlette.aspx?StationID=530&StartDateTime=09/30/2015+08:20:33&Duration=306&ShowAllControls=true&MaxWidth=320&PartnerID=1535&ShowScrubber=true&refchecked=1
- Can Middle East tourism ever recover?, Thegaurdian. http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/nov/24/can-middle-east-tourism-ever-recover-terrorist-attacks-egypt-tunisia
- Terror attacks on tourism hit poor countries the hardest, Financial Times. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/870bd692-977b-11e5-9228-87e603d47bdc.html#axzz3wwi3PXGT
- Calais migrant crisis and Tunisia terror attacks putting Britons off travelling abroad, Daily Express. http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/608849/britons-travel-terror-Tunisia-attacks-refugee-camp-Calais
- ‘Summer of Discontent’ Has Transformed Britain’s Travel Habits, CNBC. http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/29/pr-newswire-asummer-of-discontenta-has-transformed-britainas-travel-habits.html
- Risk to tourists in terrorism hotspots on national radio., LBC live radio, 12 Jul 2015. http://mms.tveyes.com/PlaybackPortal.aspx?SavedEditID=67c9a726-0d90-4879-9cd3-19c6dd192bfe
- Tourism, Risk and Recovery in Tunisia, BBC Radio 5 Live, 11 Jul 2015. http://mms.tveyes.com/PlaybackPortal.aspx?SavedEditID=5a230020-65cb-4546-9acb-34eeee317953
- Tourism and terrorism in Tunisa, BBC TV News at 10, 11 Jul 2015. http://mms.tveyes.com/PlaybackPortal.aspx?SavedEditID=7fa172d0-5772-49c5-b94c-8f0b01b2df94
- Can Tunisia’s tourist industry survive the terror attack?, Yorkshier Post, 01 Jul 2015. http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/features/can-tunisia-s-tourist-industry-survive-the-terror-attack-1-7337134
- How terrorist attacks affect tourism, bbc, 29 Jun 2015. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33310217