- 01202 963025
- aharding at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Doctoral Researcher
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am currently undertaking a doctoral research project with Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC). Based in London, EAC coordinate the FirstStop service which provides information and advice to older people (and other stakeholders) on housing and care issues. My research is focused on older people's agency practices around use of FirstStop telephone information and advice on housing and what impact it has on their decision-making and associated outcomes.
This project reflects my wider research interests, on UK welfare markets/agency and builds on previous work on patient choice in the NHS and the personalisation agenda in social care.
After my MSc from the University of Southampton I was a research assistant in HSC from 2010 to 2013. I have experience in writing (and in some instances leading on) research proposals, research grants and undertaking research on informing health and social care practice. I also lead seminars on the MSc Public Health programme.
I am also the Founder, Journal Manager, Editor and a Section Editor of eBU: Online Journal - an internal BU working paper journal that works on the basis of immediate publication and open peer review... This aim of eBU is develop academic authorship. The primary function of eBU is that authors of any academic level can receive constructive feedback in a safe internal environment before being encouraged to submit to external journals.
I tweet under @AndrewJEHarding and also guest blog occasionally on various platforms.more
I am currently undertaking a doctoral research project with Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC). Based in London, EAC coordinates the FirstStop service which provides information and advice to older people (or their family) on housing and care issues. My research is focused on the impact of the FirstStop information and advice service.
- Harding, A.J.E., Parker, J., Hean, S. and Hemingway, A., 2016. Efficacy of Telephone Information and Advice on Welfare: the Need for Realist Evaluation. Social Policy and Society, 1-21.
- Harding, A.J.E. and Pritchard, C., 2016. UK and Twenty Comparable Countries GDP-Expenditureon- Health 1980-2013: The Historic and Continued Low Priority of UK Health Related Expenditure. International Journal of Health Policy and Management, 5 (9), 519-523.
- Pritchard, C., Harding, A. and Rosenorn-Lanng, E., 2015. Do British and Irish Surgeons Operate Under Fiscal Disadvantage? GDP Expenditure on Health in the Western World 1980-2013. Journal of the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland, 47, 21-24.
- Phillips, J., Cooper, K., Rosser, E., Scammell, J., Heaslip, V., White, S., Donaldson, I., Jack, E., Hemingway, A. and Harding, A., 2015. An exploration of the perceptions of caring held by students entering nursing programmes in the United Kingdom: A longitudinal qualitative study phase 1. Nurse Education in Practice, 15 (6), 403-408.
- Pritchard, C. and Harding, A., 2014. An Analysis of NHS Trust Websites on the Occupational backgrounds of `Non-Executive-Directors' on England’s Acute Trusts. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine Open, 5.
- Harding, A., Sanders, F., Medina Lara, A., van Teijlingen, E., Wood, C., Galpin, D., Baron, S., Crowe, S. and Sharma, S., 2014. Patient Choice for Older People in English NHS Primary Care: Theory and Practice. ISRN Family Medicine, 2014.
- Harding, A., 2012. Book Review: On Being Included: Racism and Diversity in Institutional Life. Sociological Research Online: an electronic journal, 17 (2).
- Harding, A., 2016. Agency and the welfare consumer: efficacy of information and advice on housing for older people. In: Social Policy Association: Social Policy: Radical, Resistant, Resolute 4-6 July 2016 Belfast Metropolitan College.
- Harding, A., 2016. Efficacy of telephone information and advice on housing for older people: a realist evaluation. In: Housing Studies Association: Housing at the extremes: austerity, prosperity and systems change 6-8 April 2016 University of York.
- Phillips, J., Cooper, K., Rosser, E., Scammell, J., Heaslip, V., White, S., Donaldson, I., Hemingway, A., Jack, E. and Harding, A., 2013. To explore the impact of a humanising curriculum on new nursing recruits' personal beliefs about the core values of nursing. In: 24th International Networking for Healthcare Education 3-5 September 2013 Cambridge, UK.
- Rosser, E., Hemingway, A., Harding, A., Cooper, K., Donaldson, I., Heaslip, V., Jack, E., Phillips, J., Scammell, J. and White, S., 2013. Do students enter nursing programmes with a caring disposition? An exploration of the qualities and values held by students entering pre-registration nursing in one English University. In: 24th International Networking for Healthcare Education 3-5 September 2013 Cambridge, UK.
- Rosser, E., Hemingway, A., Harding, A., Cooper, K., Donaldson, I., Heaslip, V., Jack, E., Phillips, J., Scammell, J. and White, S., 2013. Putting patients at the heart of nursing care: an exploratory study of student values entering pre-registration nursing in one UK University. In: Inaugural Phi Mu Chapter conference 20-21 June 2013 Bournemouth UK.
- Parker, J., Crabtree, S.A. and Harding, A., 2013. Ignite: Independent Evaluation of a Bournemouth Churches Housing Association Social Programme. Centre for Social Work & Social Policy, Bournemouth University.
- Hean, S., Harding, A. and Cash, M., 2013. Identification Of Key Characteristics Of A Care Coordination Model And Potential Service Models Of Delivery. School of Health and Social Care: Bournemouth University.
- Harding, A., 2015. The Future of Welfare Consumerism: Future challenges and opportunities of welfare consumerism in health and social care. International Longevity Centre. Available from: http://blog.ilcuk.org.uk/2015/11/05/guest-blog-andrew-harding-bournemouth-university-the-future-of-welfare-consumerism-future-challenges-and-opportunities-of-welfare-consumerism-in-health-and-social-care/.
- Harding, A., 2014. What is the difference between an impact and an outcome? Impact is the longer term effect of an outcome. LSE Impact of Social Sciences. Available from: http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2014/10/27/impact-vs-outcome-harding/.
- Harding, A., 2012. Democratic practice could be institutionalised in private and public spheres to help develop political debate and deliberation. LSE British Politics and Policy. Available from: http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/democratic-practices-involvement-harding/.
- Harding, A., 2016. Efficacy of Third Sector Telephone Housing Options Service For Older People:A Realist Evaluation. In: The 2nd International Conference on Realist Evaluation and Synthesis: Advancing Principles, Strengthening Practice.
- Harding, A., 2015. Telephone Information & Advice on Reassessing the Home in later life - Efficacy: why, how, for whom & in what context? In: The state of the art of realist methodologies conference.
Profile of Teaching PG
- MSc Public Health
- The power of narrative and stories in enabling learning for professional practice (Higher Education Academy, 16 Apr 2013). Completed
- Ignite: Evaluation of a social project (British Churches Housing Association (BCHA), 01 Aug 2012). Awarded
- Promoting Dignity through understanding Narratives (Economic Social Research Council, 02 Nov 2013). Awarded
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- ESRC Festival of Social Science public engagement event
- Social Policy: Radical, Resistant, Resolute, Agency and the welfare consumer: efficacy of information and advice on housing for older people, 4 July 2016, Belfast
- Housing at the extremes: austerity, prosperity and systems change, Efficacy of telephone information & advice on housing for older people: A Realist Evaluation, 6 April 2016, University of York
- PGR Conference, Instrumentally rational older people’s agency around use, impact and outcomes of information and advice on housing: Conceptual, methodological & research considerations, 20 January 2014, Bournemouth
- MSc in Governance & Policy (University of Southampton, 2011)
- BA (Hons) in History & Politics (University of Leicester, 2007)
- Politics & International Relations Best MSc Dissertation Prize 2010/11 (University of Southampton, Faculty of Social Sciences, 2012)
- Housing Studies Association, Member,
- Social Policy Association, Member,