Dr Mehdi Chowdhury
- 01202 961397
- mchowdhury at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer (Academic) in Economics
- Christchurch House C210, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am a Senior Lecturer in Economics at the Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics, Business School, Bournemouth University, UK. I joined the School in September 2011 after obtaining my PhD from the School of Economics of the University of Nottingham. I received Masters Degrees in Economics from Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, Japan and the University of Dhaka, Bangladesh. I worked as a Teaching Assistant in Economics at the Department of Economics of the University of Bristol from 2009-2011.
I current area of research includes international migration, human capital and incentives. I primarily work within International Migration literature using tools developed by International Trade theory and Industrial Organization/Applied Game Theory. I am interested in supervising students doing PhD in ‘International Migration’ , ‘International Trade’ and ‘Applied Game Theory’ with reference to the needs of developing countries.
International Migration, Economic Development, Economics of Education
- Chowdhury, M. and Mukherjee, A., 2016. Labour Market Integration and Innovation: The Implications on Consumers. MANCHESTER SCHOOL, 84 (6), 771-794.
- Chowdhury, M., 2016. Migration policies and international labour market competition. Migration and Development.
- Chowdhury, M., 2015. Households’ Characteristics and the Modes of Remittances in Bangladesh. Journal of Development Areas, 49 (4), 167-195.
- Chowdhury, M., 2014. Relationships, Human Behaviour and Financial Transactions. Theoretical Economics Letters, 4.
- Chowdhury, M., 2014. Migration, Human Capital Formation and the Beneficial Brain Drain Hypothesis: A Note. Migration and Development, 3 (2), 174-180.
- Chowdhury, M., 2014. Labour Market Integration, Remittances and Optimal Tax Policy. Migration and Development, 3 (1), 20-37.
- Chowdhury, M., 2005. Migration, Urbanization, Industrialization, Export Promotion and Economic Development. Brac University Journal, 2 (2).
- Chowdhury, M. and Telli, H., 2015. Migration. In: Holscher, J. and Tomann, H., eds. PALGRAVE DICTIONARY OF EMERGING MARKETS AND TRANSITION ECONOMICS. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Salem Gheit. The role of human capital in the multifactor productivity growth in the developed and developing countries
Profile of Teaching PG
- Emerging Market Economics
- Global Economic Challenges
Profile of Teaching UG
- Microeconomics for Business II
- Microeconomic II
- Microeconomics for Business I
- Microeconomics I
- Business School Research Seminars, Southampton Solent University, Southampton, UK
- Department of Economics, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Department of Economics, University of Dhaka, Dhaka , Bangladesh
- Development Economics Seminars, University of Manchester, Manchester
- CREDIT Research Seminar, University of Nottingham, UK
- Business School Research Seminar Series, Coventry University , Coventry, UK
- Migration and Development, Taylor and Francis, International Editorial Board (2015-)
- Programme Coordinator, BS Staff Seminar Series
- Programme Coordinator (Level 6), AFE Undergraduare Programme Management Team
- Peer Assisted Learning Coordinator, AFE Undergraduate Framework Management Team
- UECE Lisbon Mettings on Game Theory and Applications 2016, 03 Nov 2016, University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
- Solent Learning and Teaching Community Conference, 24 Jun 2016, Southampton, UK
- 5th World Congress of the Game Theory Society, 24 Jul 2016, Maastricht, Netherlands
- 12th European Meeting on Game Theory, 11 Jul 2016, Odense, Denmark
- 2nd International Conference on South Asian Economic Development, 18 Feb 2016, New Delhi
- UECE Lisbon Mettings on Game Theory and Applications, 05 Nov 2015, University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
- RES-York Symposium and Mini-Courses on Game Theory, 21 May 2015, University of York, York
- Southampton Winter Workshop on Economic Theory, 23 Feb 2015, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
- 2014 Annual Conference of the Royal Economic Society, 07 Apr 2014, The University of Manchester, UK
- 4th Norface Conference on "Migration: Global Development, New Frontiers", 10 Apr 2013, UCL, London, UK
- 27th European Sociaty of Population Economics Conference, 12 Jun 2013, Aarhas University, Denmark
- Doctoral Supervision Development: New Supervisors, 25 Jan 2012
- Survival Analysis: Modelling Time-to-event Data, 20 Apr 2015
- Panel and Longitudinal Data Analysis, 06 Nov 2014
- Economics of International Migration, 12 May 2014
- Writing Academy, 25 Jun 2014
- Grants Academy, 24 Mar 2014
- PGCE in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2015)
- MSc in Economics (University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1999)
- MA in Economics (Ritsumeikan University, Japan, 2005)
- PhD in Economics (University of Nottingham, 2011)
- Bangladesh Economic Association, Member,
- Game Theory Society, Member (2016-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2015-),
External Media and Press
- Human migration and the EU referendum, EU referendum coverage page, BU, 26 Jun 2016. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2016-05-26/human-migration-eu-referendum
- World Trade Organization and the European Union, EU referendum coverage page, BU, 14 Jun 2016. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2016-06-14/world-trade-organization-european-union
- গেম থেওরি ওয়ার্ল্ড কংগ্রেস ও কিছু ব্যক্তিগত ভাবনা, Bonikbarta, Dhaka Bangladesh, 31 Aug 2016. http://bonikbarta.com/news/2016-08-31/85677/%E0%A6%97%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%AE-%E0%A6%A5%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%93%E0%A6%B0%E0%A6%BF-%E0%A6%93%E0%A7%9F%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%B0%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B2%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%A1-%E0%A6%95%E0%A6%82%E0%A6%97%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B0%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%B8-%E0%A6%93-%E0%A6%95%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%9B%E0%A7%81-%E0%A6%AC%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AF%E0%A6%95%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%A4%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%97%E0%A6%A4-%E0%A6%AD%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%A8%E0%A6%BE/
- WTO and the European Union, The Financial Express, Dhaka Bangladesh, 17 Jun 2016. http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/2016/06/17/34568/WTO-and-the-European-Union