Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Richard Paul is an analytical toxicologist with a particular interest in the measurement of drugs and alcohol in hair. Current research focuses on data interpretation issues related to alcohol and cannabis quantification in hair samples.
Current research projects:
1. Detection of Ethyl Glucuronide in fingernail samples: Application to abstinence monitoring. Funded by the Royal Society of Chemistry.
2. Influence of BMI on EtG and FAEE levels in head hair.
- Dumitrascu, C., Paul, R., Kingston, R. and Williams, R., 2018. Influence of alcohol containing and alcohol free cosmetics on FAEE concentrations in hair. A performance evaluation of ethyl palmitate as sole marker, versus the sum of four FAEEs. Forensic Science International, 283, 29-34.
- Bossers, L.C.A.M. and Paul, R., 2014. Application of Bayesian Theory to the reporting of results in alcohol hair testing. Forensic Science International., 242, 56-58.
- Bossers, L., Paul, R., Berry, A.J., Kingston, R., Middendorp, C. and Guwy, A.J., 2014. An evaluation of decontamination and extraction techniques in the analysis of ethyl glucuronide and fatty acid ethyl esters from hair samples. Journal of Chromatography B, 953-954, 115-119.
- Paul, R., Kingston, R., Tsanaclis, L., Berry, A.J. and Guwy, A.J., 2011. Simultaneous determination of EtG and GHB in hair by GCMS/MS. Drug Testing and Analysis, 3, 201-205.
- Paul, R., 2008. Hair of the dog: alcohol hair analysis. Advances Journal, 56 (12).
- Paul, R., Kingston, R., Tsanaclis, L., Berry, A.J. and Guwy, A.J., 2008. Do drug users use less alcohol than non-drug users? Forensic Science International, 176, 82-86.
- Paul, R., Tsanaclis, L., Kingston, R., Berry, A.J. and Guwy, A.J., 2006. GC-MS-MS Determination of Gamma Hydroxybutyrate in blood and urine. Journal of Analytical Toxicology, 6, 375-379.
- Bethan Davies. Determination of NPS in surface water across South Wales
Profile of Teaching PG
- Forensic Toxicology - unit contributor
- Crime scene management and forensic science - unit leader
Profile of Teaching UG
- Advanced Forensic Science - unit leader
- Forensic science - unit contributor
- Case studies in forensic science - unit leader
- Pint of Science - international science festival. Lecture presented: 'Hair of the Dog'
- Detection of Ethyl Glucuronide in fingernail samples: Application to abstinence monitoring. (Royal Society of Chemistry Research Grant, 07 Dec 2017). Awarded
- Determination of NPS in surface water across South Wales (SYNLAB, 15 Nov 2017). Awarded
- Influence of BMI on EtG and FAEE levels in head hair. (Bournemouth University, 22 Feb 2017). Awarded
- TD-GC-TOF: A new approach for the analysis of drugs of abuse in hair (Business-led research collaboration investment, USW, 08 Jan 2016). Awarded
- Evaluation of new extraction techniques to enhance laboratory performance (Strategic Insight Programme, Higher Education Funding Council for Wales, 10 Apr 2013). Awarded
- Alcohol markers in hair: New detection techniques and evidence interpretation (University of Glamorgan, 10 Jan 2010). Awarded
- New developments in analytical toxicology for the investigation of drug facilitated assault (TrichoTech Ltd, 05 Sep 2004). Awarded
- Accreditation lead, Chartered Society of Forensic Science
- Programme Leader, BSc Forensic Investigation
- Society of Hair Testing, Influence of alcohol containing and alcohol free cosmetics on FAEE concentrations in hair. A performance evaluation of ethyl palmitate as sole marker, versus the sum of four FAEEs, 12 Jun 2017, Cardiff
- Forensic science workshops, Consultancy. Welsh Government
- Chemical analysis, Consultancy. Clariant
- Oil company training programme consultant, Consultancy. Sirte Oil Company
- PhD in Analytical Toxicology (University of Glamorgan, 2007)
- Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences, Member,
- Higher Education Academy (FHEA), Fellow, Fellow,
- Institute of Biomedical Science, Fellow,
- LTG (London Toxicology Group), Member,
- Royal Society of Chemistry, Fellow,
- Royal Society of Chemistry (C.Chem), Chartered Chemist, Fellow,
- Society of Hair Testing, Member,