Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Wei Koong Chai is a senior lecturer in Bournemouth University (BU), UK. He heads the Future and Complex Networks Research Group (FlexNet) in the Department of Computing and Informatics in BU. He is also currently a visiting academic in the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University College London (UCL), UK. Previously, he was a Senior Research Associate in UCL, where he led the research activities of several research projects, conduct collaborative research and contribute to the teaching and supervision of students at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He has successfully raised research funding from both EU and UK funding bodies. He has published papers in fully refereed international conferences and journals and contributed chapters to books. His research work has been constantly receiving citations, recording over 1,000 citations to date (source: Google Scholar). He also serves on the technical program committee of several IEEE/ACM international conferences and workshops...
Dr. Chai received the B.Eng. (Hons) degree in electrical engineering from the Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Johor Bahru, Malaysia, in 2000, and the M.Sc. (Distinction) and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Surrey, Surrey, U.K., in 2002 and 2008, respectively.more
Dr. Chai's research spans across heterogeneous networks, including wired/wireless networks and cyber physical systems.
His current research interests include:
* Information-centric Networking (ICN) - Name-based resolution systems, in-network caching, information resilience.
* Communications in Cyber Physical Systems - Communication infrastructures for smart grid applications.
* Network Science - Complex networks, epidemic theory.
He was previously involved in research on quality of service, resource management (e.g., for satellite networks and wireless mesh networks), cross-layer design (specifically on interaction of protocols at different layers), traffic engineering, and network optimization.
He is always looking for PhD students who have great potential. If you are interested, please contact Dr. Chai with your CV in order to advise you for the possibility of funding.
- Chai, W., 2017. Modelling Spreading Process Induced by Agent Mobility in Complex Networks. IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering.
- Parisis, G., Sourlas, V., Katsaros, K.V., Chai, W.K., Pavlou, G. and Wakeman, I., 2017. Efficient content delivery through fountain coding in opportunistic information-centric networks. Computer Communications, 100, 118-128.
- Chai, W.K. and Pavlou, G., 2017. Path-Based Epidemic Spreading in Networks. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 25 (1), 565-578.
- Yang, B., Katsaros, K.V., Chai, W.K. and Pavlou, G., 2016. Cost-Efficient Low Latency Communication Infrastructure for Synchrophasor Applications in Smart Grids. IEEE Systems Journal.
- Chai, W.K., Chai, W.K. et al., 2015. An Information-Centric Communication Infrastructure for Real-Time State Estimation of Active Distribution Networks. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 6 (4), 2134-2146.
- Psaras, I., Chai, W.K. and Pavlou, G., 2014. In-network cache management and resource allocation for information-centric networks. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 25 (11), 2920-2931.
- Katsaros, K., Chai, W., Wang, N., Pavlou, G., Bontius, H. and Paolone, M., 2014. Information-centric networking for machine-to-machine data delivery: A case study in smart grid applications. IEEE Network, 28 (3), 58-64.
- Chai, W.K., He, D., Psaras, I. and Pavlou, G., 2013. Cache "less for more" in information-centric networks (extended version). Computer Communications, 36 (7), 758-770.
- Pavlou, G., Wang, N., Chai, W.K. and Psaras, I., 2013. Internet-scale content mediation in information-centric networks. Annales des Telecommunications/Annals of Telecommunications, 68 (3-4), 167-177.
- Bȩben, A., Batalla, J.M., Chai, W.K. and Śliwiński, J., 2013. Multi-criteria decision algorithms for efficient content delivery in content networks. Annales des Telecommunications/Annals of Telecommunications, 68 (3-4), 153-165.
- Chai, W., Chai, W. et al., 2011. Curling: Content-ubiquitous resolution and delivery infrastructure for next-generation services. IEEE Communications Magazine, 49 (3), 112-120.
- Chai, W.K., Karaliopoulos, M. and Pavlou, G., 2009. Providing proportional TCP performance by fixed-point approximations over bandwidth on demand satellite networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 8 (7), 3554-3565.
- Chai, W., Georgiades, M. and Spirou, S., 2012. Toward Information-Centric Networking: Research, Standardization, Business, and Migration Challenges. Media Networks Architectures, Applications, and Standards. CRC Press.
- Avgeropoulos, K., Chai, W.K., Giambene, G., Giannetti, S., Hongfei, D., Kueh, V.Y.H., Niebla, C.P., Pasqualetti, V., Sali, A. and Tsigkas, O., 2007. Access schemes and packet scheduling techniques. Resource Management in Satellite Networks: Optimization and Cross-Layer Design. 119-176.
- Barsocchi, P., Chai, W.K. et al., 2007. Resource management and network layer. Resource Management in Satellite Networks: Optimization and Cross-Layer Design. 243-287.
- Chai, W., Sourlas, V. and Pavlou, G., 2017. Providing Information Resilience through Modularity-based Caching in Perturbed Information-Centric Networks. In: IEEE/ACM International Teletraffic Congress 4-8 September 2017 Genoa, Italy.
- Yang, B., Chai, W.K., Pavlou, G. and Katsaros, K.V., 2016. Seamless Support of Low Latency Mobile Applications with NFV-Enabled Mobile Edge-Cloud. 136-141.
- Parisis, G., Sourlas, V., Katsaros, K.V., Chai, W.K. and Pavlou, G., 2016. Enhancing multi-source content delivery in content-centric networks with fountain coding.
- Chai, W.K., Kyritsis, V., Katsaros, K.V. and Pavlou, G., 2016. Resilience of interdependent communication and power distribution networks against cascading failures. 37-45.
- Katsaros, K.V., Chai, W.K. and Pavlou, G., 2015. Bloom filter based inter-domain name resolution: A feasibility study. 39-48.
- Chai, W.K., Katsaros, K.V., Strobbe, M., Romano, P., Ge, C., Develder, C., Pavlou, G. and Wang, N., 2015. Enabling smart grid applications with ICN. 207-208.
- Katsaros, K.V., Yang, B., Chai, W.K. and Pavlou, G., 2015. Low latency communication infrastructure for synchrophasor applications in distribution networks. 392-397.
- Katsaros, K.V., Chai, W.K., Vieira, B. and Pavlou, G., 2014. Supporting smart electric vehicle charging with information-centric networking. 174-179.
- Psaras, I., Chai, W.K. and Pavlou, G., 2012. Probabilistic in-network caching for information-centric networks. 55-60.
- Chai, W.K., He, D., Psaras, I. and Pavlou, G., 2012. Cache "less for more" in information-centric networks. 27-40.
- He, D., Chai, W.K. and Pavlou, G., 2011. Leveraging in-network caching for efficient content delivery in content-centric network. In: Proceedings of the London Communication Symposium, London, UK 8 September 2011 London.
- Psaras, I., Clegg, R.G., Landa, R., Chai, W.K. and Pavlou, G., 2011. Modelling and evaluation of CCN-caching trees. 78-91.
- Rubio-Loyola, J., Chai, W.K. et al., 2010. Platforms and software systems for an autonomic internet.
- Chai, W.K., Galis, A., Charalambides, M. and Pavlou, G., 2010. Federation of Future Internet Networks. 209-216.
- Chai, W.K., Ho, K.H., Charalambides, M. and Pavlou, G., 2009. A policy-driven network management system for the dynamic configuration of military networks. 108-121.
- Chai, W.K. and Pavlou, G., 2007. Cross-layer enhancement to TCP slow-start over geostationary bandwidth on demand satellite networks. 86-98.
- Chai, W.K., Pavlou, G. and Evans, B., 2007. Providing proportional loss differentiation over bandwidth on demand satellite networks.
- Chai, W.K., Karaliopoulos, M. and Pavlou, G., 2007. Providing relative service differentiation to TCP flows over split-TCP geostationary bandwidth on demand satellite networks. 17-29.
- Chai, W.K., Ho, K.H. and Pavlou, G., 2006. Achieving relative service differentiation for TCP traffic in satellite IP networks using congestion pricing. 246-258.
- Chai, W.K., Karaliopoulos, M. and Pavlou, G., 2005. Scheduling for proportional differentiated service provision in geostationary bandwidth on demand satellite networks. 3722-3727.
- Sun, Z. and Chai, W.K., 2003. Satellite emulator for IP networking based on LINUX.
- Chai, W.K. and Sun, Z., 2003. QoS Measurement of Multimedia Traffic Via Multi-service Satellite System. In: International Working Conference on Performance Modelling and Evaluation of Heterogeneous Networks (HET-NETs '03) 21-23 July 2003 Ilkley, UK.
- Sun, Z., Liang, L., Chai, W.K. and Cruickshank, H., 2003. Internet QoS Measurement and Traffic Modelling. In: 2nd International Conference on Conformance Testing and Interoperability (ATS-CONF 2003) 20-21 January 2003 Stuttgart, Germany.
- Binxu Yang
Profile of Teaching PG
- Mobile, Wireless and Pervasive Technology
Profile of Teaching UG
- Infrastructure Strategy
- Advanced Networks
- A Context-Adaptive Content Ecosystem Under Uncertainty (CONCERT) (CHIST-ERA, 01 Jan 2014). In Progress
- Cyber-Secure Data and Control Cloud for Power Grids (C-DAX) (European Commission, 01 Oct 2012). Completed
- PhD in Electrical Engineering (University of Surrey, 2007)
- Certificate for Highly Cited Research (Elsevier, 2016)
- Top 5 Highest Cited Research in Computer Communications (Elsevier Computer Communications, 2016)
- Best Paper Award at IFIP Networking 2012 (International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP), 2012)
- IEEE, Member (2004-),