Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I have joined the School of Health and Social Care to commence a BU matched funded PhD studentship investigating novel mechanisms regulating muscle mass in the elderly. I have just successfully completed my Masters (with distinction) in Physical Activity, Nutrition and Health Promotion, where I investigated the effects of specific hormones (Testosterone) and polyphenols (Resveratrol) on artificially aged skeletal muscle cells, extracted from mice. My PhD aims to enhance current understanding of the mechanisms regulating age-related loss of skeletal muscle mass (termed ‘sarcopenia’) and the associated reductions in mobility, general health and quality of life. Whilst exercise and nutritional interventions improve muscle size and function in young individuals, this response is attenuated in elderly muscle. Thus, using a combination of physiological and metabolic/molecular techniques these studies will investigate novel mechanisms underlying the blunted response of ageing muscle to exercise and nutritional growth stimuli.
- Deane, C.S., Wilkinson, D.J., Phillips, B.E., Smith, K., Etheridge, T. and Atherton, P.J., 2017. "Nutraceuticals" in relation to human skeletal muscle and exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab, 312 (4), E282-E299.
- Sharples, A.P., Hughes, D.C., Deane, C.S., Saini, A., Selman, C. and Stewart, C.E., 2015. Longevity and skeletal muscle mass: The role of IGF signalling, the sirtuins, dietary restriction and protein intake. Aging Cell, 14 (4), 511-523.
- Deane, C.S., Hughes, D.C., Sculthorpe, N., Lewis, M.P., Stewart, C.E. and Sharples, A.P., 2013. Impaired hypertrophy in myoblasts is improved with testosterone administration. The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 138.
- Bailey, D., Fairclough, S., Savory, L., Denton, S., Pang, D., Deane, C. and Kerr, C., 2012. Accelerometry-assessed sedentary behaviour and physical activity levels during the segmented school day in 10-14-year-old children: the HAPPY study. European Journal of Pediatrics, Epub ahead of print (Epub ahead of print), Epub ahead of print.
- Deane, C., Hughes, D., Sculthorpe, N. and Sharples, A., 2012. Testosterone rescues differentiation and hypertrophy in artificially aged skeletal muscle myoblasts. In: International Conference of Strength Training 24-28 October 2012 Oslo, Norway.
- Investigating novel metabolic / molecular mechanisms regulating age-related loss and repair of muscle mass and function (Santander, 01 May 2013). Awarded
- MSc in Physical Activity, Nutrition and Health Promotion (2012)
- BSc (Hons) in Sport and Exercise Science (2011)