Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a Lecturer in Factual, devoted to helping students develop their own voice as a form of agency while placing emphasis on the ability to articulate thought through film and media making. As a practice-based researcher, my core research interest is on documentary authorship, transnationality, auto-ethnography and the complexities of on-screen self-representation. I use a critical-cultural approach to examining the role of identity, voice and agency in first-person narratives. I also have a related interest in Indigenous media production and representation.
In addition to my academic pursuits, I am also an experienced filmmaker with over 14 years of experience working across Latin America, the UK, and Europe. My diverse background includes work with a wide range of clients and sectors, spanning film distribution and exhibition having worked for UK distributor Dogwoof; as well as producing and directing for high-profile clients such as Spotify UK, Uber, Red Bull Media House as well as charities such as Amazon Watch and Survival International... Through my work as a filmmaker and educator, I am dedicated to empowering individuals to use their voices to tell their stories and create meaningful change in their communities.more
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
"Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls"
"Reduce inequality within and among countries"
"Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts"
Peace, justice and strong institutions
"Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels"
- Machado Oliveira, C., 2022. Latin American Documentary: The Rise of Third Cinema. Cinema Social Justice. Available from: https://cinemasocialjustice.org/2022/11/16/latin-american-documentary-the-rise-of-third-cinema/.
- Machado Oliveira, C., 2020. Brazil in progress : Talking about my generation. Using First Person documentary to analyse Brazilian large-scale social movements. PhD Thesis. University of Sussex.
- Talking About My Generation, 2020. Film.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Approaches to Industry
Profile of Teaching UG
- Digital Film - Unit Leader, 21/22 - Present
- Film Language 1 - Unit Leader 22/23 - Present
- Media Perspectives - Trasnational Cinema, Strand Leader, 21/22- Present
- Ideas, Development and Research
- Understanding Distribution - Unit Leader 21/22 - Present
- Career Pathways
- Production Portfolio 1 - Documentary Practice
- Production Portfolio 2 - Realising Formats
- Graduate Project (Media Production)
- Journal of Media and Rights (JMR), Editorial Board Member (2023-2026)
- Birmingham City University, External Examiner (2022-2026), https://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/media-production-ba-hons-2023-24
- Level 5 Coordinator, BA Media Production, Faculty of Media and Communications
- Representative for South America, Global Regional Group Americas
- Chair, DEDIC. https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/about/our-faculties/faculty-media-communication/department-media-production/department-media-production-diversity-equality-inclusion-committee
- Co-Convenor, Women's Academic Network. https://twitter.com/WAN_Bournemouth
- Dandelion Journal, Open peer review, 03 Oct 2022
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Digital Narratives of the Amazon Programme (03 Jul 2023-31 Jul 2023)
- Developing Engaging Stories in Documentary Filmmaking at IDA ( International Documentary Association)
- Reimagining Film Distribution Webinar @ Show & Tell
- Whose Story is it anyway? The ethics of exploiting subjects/contributors
- Brazil Forum UK, 17 Jun 2023, Oxford University
- Demoracy and Participation in Latin America, Brazil in Progress: Talking About my Generation, 11 May 2020, University of Sussex
- Documentary Distribution consultant, Film Distribution - The Territory (2022). Dcmist
- PGCert in Post Graduate Certificate in Education Practice (Bournemouth university, 2023)
- PhD in Creative and Critical Practive (University of Sussex, 2020)
- MA in Digital Documentary (University of Sussex, 2012)
- BA (Hons) in Media Studies (University of Brighton, 2011)
- Commendation Award - PGCert (Bournemouth University, 2023)
- Fellow (The Higher Education Academy, 2023)
- BAFTA, Member (2023-),
- MeCCSA, Member (2021-),
- Nahemi, Member (2021-), http://nahemi.org/
- International Documentary Association, Member,
- Co-Convener of BU's Women's Academic Network.