Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Conor O'Kane is a Lecturer in Economics in the Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics with the Faculty of Management at Bournemouth University. In the 2021-2022 academic year he is unit leader for 5 units across all undergraduate levels. Prior to working in academia, Conor worked for over 15 years in IT industry where he mostly worked as a Business Analyst.
Research: Conor completed his PhD in 2020 and his research examines the impact technology is having on personal information disclosure in online environments. Specifically, he examines information privacy from an economics perspective and carries out experimental research to examine how proposed Data Protection regulations impact on personal information disclosure.
- O'Kane, C., 2020. Digital privacy and new media: Reflecting on lessons for policy and practice. Media Management Matters: Challenges and Opportunities for Bridging Theory and Practice. 233-247.
- O'Kane, C., 2017. Digital privacy and new media: Assessing the impact proposed changes to data protection regulations may have on personal information disclosure in online environments. In: World Media Economics and Management Conference 2016 2-6 May 2016 New York.
- O'Kane, C., 2018. As Facebook admits grabbing personal data of 87m users, it's time we switched off these i-spies.. Daily Mirror. Available from: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/facebook-admits-grabbing-personal-data-12312131.
- O'Kane, C., 2019. Digital privacy and new media: an empirical study assessing the impact of privacy seals on personal information disclosure. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, Faculty of Management.
Profile of Teaching UG
- History of Economic Thought L4 (Unit Leader)
- Research Study L6 (Unit Leader)
- Global Markets, Development and Labour L6 (Unit Leader)
- Principles of Macroeconomics L4 (Unit Leader)
- Intermediate Macroeconomics L5 (Unit Leader)
- CREATe Glasgow, Confernece Reviewer, http://www.create.ac.uk/blog/2015/11/05/a-view-from-the-amsterdam-privacy-conference-2015/
- EMMA 2017, Digital privacy and new media: Assessing the impact proposed changes to data protection regulations may have on personal information disclosure in online environments, 10 May 2017, Ghent, Belgium
- World Media Economics and Management Conference 2016, EU Data Protection: Assessing the impact GDPR may have on information disclosure., 02 May 2016, New York
- EMMA 2014, Privacy in digital media environments: Assessing the potential impact changes to EU data protection rules will have on behavioral advertising revenues., 12 Jun 2014, Tallinn
- EMMA 2013, Privacy in a Digital Environment: A Comparison Between EU and US Regulatory Environments, 05 Jun 2013, Bournemouth
- MBA (Media) in MBA with Media specialisation (Bournemouth Univeristy, 2010)
- BA(Hons) in Economics and Politics (University College Dublin, 1994)
- European Media Managment Association, Member (2016-), https://www.media-management.eu/
- Was asked to review an international conference in Amsterdam, https://www.create.ac.uk/news/2015/11/05/a-view-from-the-amsterdam-privacy-conference-2015/