- 01202 965968
- forresti at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Media Production
- Weymouth House W214, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am Programme Leader for the BA TV Production Hons., Degree, at BU; for me, academic and industry knowledge are inextricably interlinked. My passion for the two combines to create an engaging and meaningful student-centric experience, and an enthusiasm for research. I am proud to have been the recipient of the “You’re Brilliant” Teachers Awards, by my students at BU, and to have worked as part of the BBC Centenary Celebration team, nominated for the Vice Chancellors’ Award 2023, also here at BU.
I have extensive professional experience in media production as a Creative Director, Producer, Writer, Studio and Location Director, Vision Mixer, Graphics, and Audio Design with the BBC. I worked mostly for BBC Television, BBC Radio in addition to, BBC collaboration with Channel 4, in honour of the works of Dennis Potter. I have collaborated with numerous high-profile advertising agencies including Saatchi and Saatchi, London; AMV BBDO, London; St. Luke’s, London and Mother-London, London. I draw on these experiences to support students e.g., with multi and single camera projects, as well as technical and creative processes... These include conceptualising ideas, pitching processes, understanding project-commissioning dynamics, as well as scripting stages to the full-on production and postproduction processes.
I also bring to my teaching, industry standards of working in interdisciplinary and cross platform environments: As a Creative Director, I led high-profile, award-winning creative and business teams at the BBC, such as channel launches, channel rebrands, Ident development and production, as well as commercial partnerships (including the Joint Venture with Living TV Group [formerly Flextech TV]). As as part of senior management - CD Futures and Technology – I also led a team in the Broadcasting Centres Project (White City, London). This resulted in the move of Broadcast & Presentation Directorate to new broadcast centre at White City, ultimately leading to the rebranded “Red Bee”, being bought out by Macquarie Bank for £166m, in 2005. Furthermore, I was appointed to contribute to the BBC submission to the Monopolies & Mergers Commission (MMC) - this was a devised response around investigation of in-channel promotion of BBC products, answering potential abuse of licence fee and monopoly powers. Our recommendations were accepted by the MMC. Thus, I draw on these to organise lecture series for students, which are industry-focused, in addition to being inclusivity and innovation centred. These have lectures have featured renowned media practitioners including Basi Akpabio, Bryony Arnold, Amrit Fox-Bharry, Katherine Nathan, Vikki Stephenson, Ben Robinson, and Catherine Elliott-Kemp.
I was also External Examiner to the Birmingham City University’s Faculty of Arts, Design and Media, for the BA in Digital Marketing (2019 - 2022).
My current research project includes my doctoral study, “What are the Pedagogical Challenges of Promoting Networking as Part of an Industry-Oriented Media Programme?” This study explores the argument that networking is the reality of the freelance modality of media work, whereby precarity and fragmentation are endemic in the project-based economy.more
- Forrest, I., 2013. Social and Digital Media Transformation of the Co-op. In: KTP Conference, University of Brighton 2013 Brighton, UK.
- Forrest, I., 2000. “Promotainment”. In: European Broadcasting Union Conference June 2000 Mainz.
- Forrest, I., 2000. Future Plans: Creative Services, Media Planning & EPGs. UK: BBC.
- Channel Idents, 1998. TV. London: BBC TV.
- BBC Proms, 1997. TV. London: BBC TV.
- Series Producer - Press Launches , ON air promotional campaign - Controller launches, Alan Yentob for BBC TV and Michael Grade for Channel 4 “Cold Lazarus” Tribute to Dennis Potter [in association with Channel 4], 1996. TV. LONDON: Channel 4 and BBC TV.
- Series Producer - Channel Controllers, Alan Yentob ,Michael Jackson & Jane Root Seasonal Campaigns (Christmas Spring-Summer BBC ONE & TWO), 1996. TV. London Zoo, Chelsea Football Club, BBC Television Centre: BBC TV.
- Series producer - True Brits, Inside the Foreign Office – Screened at the Foreign Office, London, featuring Baron Garel-Jones, 1994. TV. London: BBC TV.
- BBC LOGOs, 1991. Other. London: BBC.
- BBC Points West, 1991. TV. Broadcasting House, Bristol.: BBC.
- BBC West, 1991. Film. UK: BBC.
- Natural History Unit, 1988. TV.
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- International PROMAX Awards (01 Jan 2000)
- International PROMAX Awards (01 Jan 1997)