- jpowell at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
John Powell MBE
Senior Lecturer in the Faculty of Science and Technology specialising in: Product Design. Electronic systems design. Business Management, and sustainable lifesaving equipment design
Final year supervisor for Product Design and Industrial Design. Masters Tutor for business project unit
Currently involved with research in acceptance and viability of Public Rescue Equipment in low resource communities
Committee member: British Standards Institute - Water safety and rescue equipment
Professional practice roles:
Royal National Lifeboat Institution Role - International Programmes Manager
Development of International drowning intervention resources (teaching and assessment, Future leaders in lifesaving) and education in low resource areas.
Development of national leadership and management training for lifesaving in the UK. Part of the creation team for the national beach risk audit process. Led the development of International drowning intervention learning and development framework (teaching and assessment, Future leaders in lifesaving) and education in low resource areas...
Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Role:
Operational and Technical Rescue Manager (Whole time) currently based at Poole Fire Station in Dorset.
Organisational Change Manager - working across departments at all levels to facilitate human centred co-design to implement the right change in the right way.
Manage an operational team of fire and technical rescue specialists to reduce risk within the community. Respond to emergency incidents within the Dorset and Wiltshire area in partnership with other agencies.
Technical Rope access instructor
Water and flood rescue instructor
Large animal rescue specialist
Lead and Manage the ongoing development and implementation of Poole Harbour Islands safety strategy.
Chair: Poole Harbour Islands Safety Group.
Chair: Dorset Search & Rescue Committee
(Operational and tactical group that ensures effective joint working with all category one and third sector responders)
Led the creation of an innovative operational training team for the service.
Currently working on the design of a national leadership and command programme in partnership with RNLImore
- powell, 2015. International teaching, training and assessment in low resource areas. Royal National Lifeboat Institution.
- Powell, J. and Underwood, G., 2017. Rescued by design: Enabling low-Resource communities to reduce global drowning. 206-211.
- Koohgilani, M., Powell, J. and Underwood, G., 2015. RP or not RP: That is the co-creation question. 246-251.
- powell, 2014. ETHICS – RESEARCH, ENGINEERING, DESIGN… THEY’RE ALL THE SAME AREN’T THEY? In: The 16th International Conference on Engineering & Product Design Education 4-5 September 2014 University of Twente.
- Humphries-Smth, T., Blount, G. and Powell, J., 2014. Ethics - Research, engineering, design... They're all the same aren't they? 485-491.
The International Drowning Epidemic, Bournemouth University, 05 Dec 2014 more
Engineers Without Borders
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Working with the RNLI and BU undergraduate designers to facilitate co-creation products for international drowning prevention
- MBE (Her Majesty the Queen, 2019)
- Young electronic designer awards : National 3rd Place (Electronic Designers Awards, 1993)
- Young Engineer for Britain National Final - 2nd (Engineering Council UK, 1992)
- United Kingdom - Winner : European young scientist award (European Union, 1992)