Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Mr John Powell BSc, PG Cert, GIFE, FHEA
I am currently a lecturer in the Faculty of Science and Technology specialising in: Innovation in Design. Product Design. Electronic and Electrical systems design. Professional issues. Presentation, communication and professional skills and Design ethics
I am a final year supervisor for Product Design and Industrial Design.
I have a particular interest in professional practice and I am currently looking at ways to impart professionalism at undergraduate level.
My portfolio career assists me to be professionally and socially aware and I am actively involved in several activities in emergency service management, education and international development in low resource areas
In my Royal National Lifeboat Institution Role
Led the development of national leadership and management training for lifesaving in the UK. Part of the creation team for the national beach risk audit process. Led the development of International drowning intervention resources (teaching and assessment, Future leaders in lifesaving) and education in low resource areas... Subject matter expert : Educating in Lifesaving.
In my Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Role:
Creation of an innovative operational training team. Ongoing development and implementation of Poole Harbour Islands safety strategy. Chair: Poole Harbour Islands Safety Group. Chair: Joint working initiative between Dorset & Wiltshire Fire Service and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.more
- powell, 2015. International teaching, training and assessment in low resource areas. Royal National Lifeboat Institution.
- Powell, J. and Underwood, G., 2017. Rescued by design: Enabling low-Resource communities to reduce global drowning. 206-211.
- Koohgilani, M., Powell, J. and Underwood, G., 2015. RP or not RP: That is the co-creation question. 246-251.
- powell, 2014. ETHICS – RESEARCH, ENGINEERING, DESIGN… THEY’RE ALL THE SAME AREN’T THEY? In: The 16th International Conference on Engineering & Product Design Education 4-5 September 2014 University of Twente.
- Humphries-Smth, T., Blount, G. and Powell, J., 2014. Ethics - Research, engineering, design... They're all the same aren't they? 485-491.
The International Drowning Epidemic, Bournemouth University, 05 Dec 2014 more
Engineers Without Borders
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Working with the RNLI and BU undergraduate designers to facilitate co-creation products for international drowning prevention
- United Kingdom - Winner : European young scientist award (European Union, 1992)
- Young electronic designer awards : National 3rd Place (Electronic Designers Awards, 1993)
- Young Engineer for Britain National Final - 2nd (Engineering Council UK, 1992)