Dr Laura Ramsay
- 01202 965956
- lramsay at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in History
- Weymouth House W404, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Back to top
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
- Ramsay, L., 2022. Review of British gods. Religion in modern Britain. By Steve Bruce. Oxford, New York: Oxford University Press, 2020. Journal of Ecclesiastical History, 73 (1), 217-219.
- Ramsay, L., 2021. The battle for Christian Britain. Sex, humanists and secularization, 1945-1980. Published.
- Ramsay, L., 2020. Review of New Approaches in History and Theology to Same-Sex Love and Desire. Edited by Mark D. Chapman and Dominic Janes. Palgrave Macmillan (Genders and Sexualities in History Series) 2018. Modern Believing.
- Ramsay, L.M., 2020. ‘The Relation of the Sexes’: towards a Christian view of sex and citizenship in interwar Britain. Contemporary British History, 34 (4), 555-579.
- Ramsay, L., 2020. A Little Gay History of Wales. Published.
- Ramsay, L., 2018. The Church of England, Homosexual Law Reform, and the Shaping of the Permissive Society, 1957–1979. Journal of British Studies (University of Chicago Press), 57 (1), 108-137.
- Ramsay, L., 2017. Review of Constance Maynard's Passions: Religion, Sexuality, and an English Educational Pioneer, 1849–1935 by Pauline A. Phipps. University of Toronto Quarterly, 86 (3), 264-266.
- Ramsay, L., 2017. Review of Wolfenden’s Witnesses: Homosexuality in Postwar Britain. By Brian Lewis. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, 2016. Twentieth Century British History, 29 (1), 163-165.
- Ramsay, L., 2016. The Ambiguities of Christian Sexual Discourse in Post-War Britain: The British Council of Churches and Its Early Moral Welfare Work. Journal of Religious History, 40 (1), 82-103.
- Ramsay, L., 2014. Review of Queer Domesticities: Homosexuality and Home Life in Twentieth-Century London. By Matt Cook. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke and New York, (Genders and Sexualities in History Series) 2014. Twentieth Century British History, 26 (4), 649-651.
- Ramsay, L., 2012. Review of Being the Body of Christ: Towards a Twenty-First-Century Homosexual Theology for the Anglican Church. By Chris Mounsey. London: Equinox Publishing, 2011. H-Histsex.
- Ramsay, L., 2022. ‘The Relation of the Sexes’: towards a Christian view of sex and citizenship in interwar Britain. In: Wood, J.C., ed. Christian Modernities in Britain and Ireland in the Twentieth Century. Routledge.
- Ramsay, L., 2020. Assembling an Anglican view of self-governing sexual citizenship, 1918–1945. In: Rodger, T., Williamson, P. and Grimley, M., eds. The Church of England and British Politics since 1900. Boydell & Brewer.
- Ramsay, L., 2022. Davidson [née Tait], Edith Murdoch, Lady Davidson of Lambeth, clergy wife and moral welfare organizer. Oxford University Press.
- Ramsay, L., 2016. The Church of England, Sexual Morality & Institutional Decision-making. Notches: (Re)Marks on the History of Sexuality. Available from: http://notchesblog.com/2016/03/31/the-church-of-england-sexual-morality-and-the-complications-of-institutional-decision-making/#more-7388.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Undergraduate Dissertation Supervisor (Level 6)
- The Victorians (Level 5)
- The Home Front: From the Napoleonic Wars to Afghanistan (Level 5)
- Historical Evidence (Level 4)
- Historical Skills (Level 4)
- Permissive Britain? Sexual Revolution, Reaction, and Remembering, 1945–1990 (Level 6)
- Peer Assisted Learning (PAL) Academic Course Contact, BA (Hons) History
- Level 4 Co-ordinator, BA (Hons) History
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Academic advisor on the LGBT+ Speak Out oral history project, Dorset History Centre
- Humanities and Social Sciences Research Seminar Series, Re-examining historical narratives surrounding the British churches and the development of a new gender order in twentieth- century Britain, 18 Nov 2020, Bournemouth University
- History Research Group Symposium, Plenary paper: “Challenges and prospects for historical studies today: working on the intersections between religion and sex in modern Britain”, 15 Jul 2020, Bournemouth University
- Modern Religious History IHR Seminar Series, Re-examining narratives of gender, sexual modernity and the British Churches: the 1924 Conference on Christian Politics, Economics and Citizenship and its report on “The Relation of the Sexes", 04 Dec 2019, Institute of Historical Research, London
- PGCE in Educational Practice (Bournemouth University, 2019)
- PhD in History (University of Nottingham, 2015)
- MA in History (University of Nottingham, 2011)
- BA (Hons) in History (University of Nottingham, 2010)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2019-),