- 01202 965022
- mbond at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Cinematography
- Weymouth House W210, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Mark Bond is a Senior Lecturer in Cinematography in the Media Production Department and is the Programme Leader for MA Cinematography for Film and Television. His professional industry experience informs his research and teaching across undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
Mark joined BU in 2010 after a successful career as a Director of Photography with over 20 years freelance experience. He has worked in a variety of genres including documentary, comedy, drama, music, commercials and stop frame animation. He has filmed a number of award-winning shows, travelled around the world to pursue his career and photographed six children's books.
He is currently conducting research for a practiced led PhD. His research investigates the impact of emerging digital technology on the craft of the cinematographer. Mark continues his professional practice combining research and teaching, collaborating with postgraduate students, external stakeholders and professional industry bodies.
Member: Centre for Film and Television Research
- Bond, M., Perry, N., Hayton, G. and Keane, D.. Digital Visions: The Garden. Photographic Prints, Screened film loop and soundscape. Digital Visions: The Garden. Atrium Gallery. 7-22 June 2017.
- Digital Visions:The Garden, 2017. Film. Available from: https://www.ninaperry.co.uk/music-for-film.
- Outside In: Challenging traditional narrative constructs in digital cinema. Exploring the frame, continuity editing and audience perspective., 2015. Film. Bond, M. Available from: http://www.markbond.co.uk/projects/#/pgr/.
- Bond, M., 2017. Digital Transitions: Examining the impact of emerging digital technology on the practice, craft and visual language of the cinematographer. In: 9th Annual Postgraduate Conference BU Graduate School..
- Bond, M., 2016. Examining the Influence of New Cinematographic Technology on the Image Aesthetic and Narrative in Nordic Noir. In: 8th Annual Postgraduate Conference BU Graduate School..
Profile of Teaching PG
- Unit Leader: Masters Production Project. MACFT, L7 (2015-17)
- Unit Leader: Exploring Creative Camera and Lighting Techniques. MACFT, L7 (2015-18)
- Unit Leader: Camera: Image Style and Motion. MACFT, L7 (2015-18)
- Digital Cinematography for Documentary. MACFT, L7 (2012-15)
- Digital Cinematography for Drama. MACFT, L7 (2012-15)
- Approaches to Directing. MADFT, L7 (2015-16)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Unit Leader: Television Craft Skills. BATV, L4 (2012-14)
- Unit Leader: Industry Perspectives. BATV, L6 (2017-18)
- Graduate Project. BATV, L6 (2014-18)
- Concept Development for Television: BATV, L6 (2014-18)
- The Language of Television. BATV, L4 (2015-17)
- Media Theory Perspectives: Cinematic Perspectives. BATV, L5 (2016-18)
An Approach to Documentary Cinematography, University of Chichester, 02 Feb 2011 more
Exploring camera and lighting techniques in documentary and factual films at the University of Chichester.
Lighting for Black and White Film, London Film School, 21 Feb 2010 more
Lighting for Black and White Film. London Film School. 2010
Lighting a Commercial - Green Screen Tracking, UCA Farnham, 01 Jan 2010 more
Lighting a Commercial for Green Screen Compositing and Tracking. UCA Farnham. 2010
- Member, FASC: Faculty Academic Standards Committee
- Link Tutor to Partnership College, Weymouth College: FdA Video Production (Commercial Video with Multimedia) (2012-14)
- Link Tutor to Partnership College, Wiltshire College Salisbury: BA (Hons) Film Production and Cinematography. BA(Hons) Photography. (2015-)
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- GTC Television Academy. BU (2017)
- Co-Creation Production: Mosaic Family Support Charity. Dorset. (2016)
- Judge: Royal Television Society, Southern Regional Professional Awards. (2015-18)
- Inspiring Careers: Cinematography in Film and Television. Corfe Hills School (2015)
- Hot Topics: BFI - NFT3, Southbank, London. International Moving Image Society (2015-18)
- Festival of Learning. Life by the River, A Healthier Future. King Fisher Barn Visitors Centre. Screening 2 research films. (2017)
- An Evening with Billy Williams, OBE, BSC. Oscar winning cinematographer of Gandhi. BU (2017)
- Digital Convergence Conference., Outside In, 23 Sep 2018, Bournemouth University
- Poetry and TV Conference, Poetic Visions, 13 Jul 2018, University of Birmingham
- Practice Network Symposium. 'Practice and/as Media Industry Research', Digital Transitions, 08 Jun 2017, Bath Spa University
- Carbon Literacy for Film and Television - Albert Certificate. 4983. (2017)
- Production Safety Passport. No 8461. Skillset (2014/2016)
- Digital Imaging. BFI. Skillset (2014)
- PGCE in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2013)
- BA (Hons) in Photography Film and Video (Westminster University, 1991)
- Fellowship (Higer Education Academy, 2013)
- International Moving Image Society, Member (2017-), https://www.societyinmotion.com/
- Digital Production Partnership, Member (2015-), https://www.digitalproductionpartnership.co.uk/
- Royal Television Society, Member (2015-), https://rts.org.uk/
- British Kinematographic Sound and Television Society, Member (2014-), http://www.bksts.com/secure/membership.asp
- Guild of Television Camera Professionals, Director of Photography. Member. (2010-), http://www.gtc.org.uk/
- MeCCSA, Professional Affiliation (2010-), http://www.meccsa.org.uk/
- Performing Rights Society, Member (1985-), https://www.prsformusic.com/