Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Matthew Hartwell is a Senior Lecturer in the Faculty of Health and Social Science at Bournemouth University. I have extensive experience in nursing and nurse education.
the majority of my teaching is post registration where I am the programme lead for Independent and Supplementary Prescribing. I also practice and an Advanced prescribing Practitioner in the out of hours service at Bournemouth Hospital. this allows me to keep myself updated and to provide credible and practice focused teaching.
I also teach on the undergraduate programme Anatomy and Physiology through the lifespan and Complex conditions. my work in practice allows to me provide up to date clinical experience to reinforce my teaching .
My interests lie in advance practice and medical law and ethics since undertaking my masters in medical law in 2011.
Although currently I am not undertaking research my interests are in advance practice particularly prescribing and the medico legal issues surrounding this.
I am currently writing submission s for nurse prescribing and intend to look at the experiences of nurse prescribers in the future.
- Hartwell, M. and Gagan, M., 2016. Nurse Prescribers and legalising assisted suicide in the UK. Nurse Prescribing, 14 (5), 248-251.
- Cheesman, S. and Hartwell, M., 2012. The challenges of prescribing in out-of-hours care. Nurse Prescribing, 10 (9), 410-412.
- Hartwell, M., 2005. Medical negligence: can doctors and nurses still rely on the doctrine that they know best? Legal Medicine, 7, 293-298.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Nurse Independent Prescribing
- Indpendent and Supplementary Prescribing
- V100 Community Practioner Prescribing
Profile of Teaching UG
- Anatomy and Physiology Yrs 1-3
- Foundations of Anatomy and Physiology
- Managing Complex Conditions
- University of Bolton, External Examiner Prescribing (2019-2023)
- City university, External examiner (2016-)
- Salford university, External examiner (2016-2020)
- Quality Assurance, QAEG
- Post graduate Certificate In Education in Education (University Of Wales, 2001)
- BSc (Hons) in Clinical Nursing (Bournemouth University, 1996)
- 40 Credits Level 6 in Health and Physical Assessment (Bournemouth University, 2006)
- MA in Medical Law (University of Wales(Swansea), 2005)
- 40 Credits in Independant and Supplemntary Prescribing (Bournemouth University / NMC, 2009)
- PGDIp in Medical Research (University of Bath, 2014)
- Ma Medical Law and Ethics (University of Wales, 2005)
- Advaned Health and Physical assessment (Bournemouth University, 2007)
- Nurse Independent Prescribing (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- PGCE Education (Cardiff University, 2001)
- Hea, Fellow (2006-),
- Higher Education Academy, Senior Fellow (2018-), https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/
- NMC, Member (1986-),
- Royal College of Nursing, Member (2001-),