Dr Max Mauro
- 01202 963092
- mmauro at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer in Sports Journalism
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Before returning to university to complete a PhD, Max worked for twelve years as a journalist, writer and researcher in Italy, Germany and Venezuela. In 2014, he was awarded a FIFA Research Scholarship to conduct a study on migrant youth, football and belonging, which led to the publication of the book “The Balotelli Generation. Issues of Inclusion and belonging in Italian football and society”. In 2019, he completed a follow up to his PhD ethnographic research carried out in Dublin, Ireland, and published the book “Youth sport, migration and culture. Two football teams and the changing face of Ireland”. His work has also been published in journals, including Media, Culture and Society, Communication and Sport, Cultural Studies/Critical Methodologies, Sport in Society, Soccer and Society.
Parallel to his academic work, he has published in Italian two cycling travel books (about a solo cycling trip through Patagonia, and about Berlin, the German capital) and a journalistic investigation on migration to and from Italy...
He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (UK).
Max's research interests encompass sport and processes of racialisation; mass media and migration; youth cultures; journalism and ethnographic writing.more
- Martínez Corcuera, R. and Mauro, M., 2022. Less Partisan and Less Aggressive? The Impact of Covid-19 on the Media Discourse of “El Clásico” on Spanish Radio. Communication and Sport.
- Mauro, M., 2020. The Man With the Leaking Bucket: Ethnography, Journalism, and the Quest for the Transformative Self. Cultural Studies - Critical Methodologies, 20 (6), 515-523.
- Mauro, M., 2020. Media discourse, sport and the nation: narratives and counter-narratives in the digital age. Media, Culture and Society, 42 (6), 932-951.
- Mauro, M., 2018. Football fandom in Italy and beyond. SOCCER & SOCIETY, 19 (2), 321-323.
- Mauro, M., 2017. Inclusive sport or institutional discrimination? New FIFA regulations, organized football and migrant youth in Italy. SPORT IN SOCIETY, 20 (7), 833-847.
- Mauro, M., 2016. Transcultural football. Trajectories of belonging among immigrant youth. Soccer & Society, 17, 882-897.
- Mauro, M., 2012. Percorsi d'inclusione fuori e dentro il campo da calcio. Studi Zancan.
- Mauro, M., 2019. Youth Sport, Migration and Culture Two Football Teams and the Changing Face of Ireland. Routledge.
- Mauro, M., 2016. The Balotelli Generation Issues of Inclusion and Belonging in Italian Football and Society. Peter Lang.
- Mauro, M., 2006. La mia casa è dove sono felice. Storie di emigrati e immigrati. Udine, Italy: KappaVu.
- Mauro, M., 2024. Sport and Migration. In: Sciortino, G., Cvajner, M. and Kivisto, P.J., eds. Research handbook on the sociology of migration. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Mauro, M., 2023. Sports Journalism's Dilemma. All about celebrating the spectacle? In: Fowler-Watt, K., ed. Challenges and New Directions in Journalism Education. Taylor & Francis.
- Mauro, M. and Martinez-Concuera, R., 2020. Hypermasculinity and racist discourses in the Spanish media. The spectacularisation of radio sport programming. In: O'Brien, J., Holden, R. and Ginesta, X., eds. Sport, Globalisation and Identity New Perspectives on Regions and Nations. Routledge.
- Mauro, M., 2018. A team like no ‘Other’: the racialized position of Insaka FC in Irish schoolboy football. In: Hassan, D., ed. Ethnicity and Race in Association Football Case Study analyses in Europe, Africa and the USA. Routledge.
- Mauro, M., 2016. Tackling racism and discrimination in grassroots sport. The case of football. In: Hassan, D., ed. Sport and Contested Identities. Contemporary Issues and Debates. Routledge.
- Mauro, M. and Martínez Concuera, R., 2023. Vinícius Júnior: La Liga and the Spanish media must both accept responsibility for the racism that shames football. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/drafts/206448/edit.
- Mauro, M., 2021. Un attentato quasi terroristico. L'attentato di Macerata nella sfera pubblica. Il Lavoro Culturale. Available from: https://www.lavoroculturale.org/attentato-quasi-terroristico-macerata/max-mauro/2021/.
- Mauro, M., 2021. Morire in Irlanda per mano della polizia. L’uccisione di George Nkencho e il dibattito sul razzismo istituzionale. Il Lavoro Culturale. Available from: https://www.lavoroculturale.org/morire-in-irlanda-per-mano-della-polizia/max-mauro/2021/.
- Mauro, M., 2018. The contradiction of international sport: vehicle of nationalism or embodiment of cosmopolitanism?. Discover Society. Available from: https://archive.discoversociety.org/2018/03/06/the-contradictions-of-international-sport-vehicle-of-nationalism-or-embodiment-of-cosmopolitanism/.
- Mauro, M., 2016. The Refugee Olympic Team: an illusion of inclusion?. Open Democracy. Available from: https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/refugee-team-olympics-inclusion-illusion/.
Youth sport and the changing face of Ireland, Trinity College Dublin, Republic of Ireland, 12 Nov 2019 more
Trinity Long Room Hub Public Lectures
- Leisure Studies Annual Conference, The tragic death of a (former) participant and the impact of research. Sport, migration and belonging in Ireland. Revisited., 11 Jul 2023, Bournemouth University
- The Representation of Race in Sports Journalism and Media, Contrasting media representations of race and national identity: the case of England and Italy at the UEFA Euro 2020, 30 Jun 2023, Sheffield University
- Media and Nationalism, ASEN annual conference, 05 Apr 2022, University of Antwerp (Belgium)
- MeCCSA, Member (2019-),
- Centre for Excellence in Media Practice, Associate,
External Media and Press
- Max Mauro, George Nkencho and The Changing Face of Ireland, Hot Press, 15 Jan 2021. https://www.hotpress.com/opinion/max-mauro-george-nkencho-and-the-changing-face-of-ireland-22838812
- George Nkencho shooting: Racial tensions in Dublin’s suburbs, The Irish Times, 09 Jan 2021. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/george-nkencho-shooting-racial-tensions-in-dublin-s-suburbs-1.4452459
- Moise Kean’s story shows the far right haunts Italy’s football stadiums, The Guardian, 09 Apr 2019. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/09/moise-kean-far-right-italy-football-juventus
- Max Mauro: "L'Italia è in ritardo sull'integrazione", La Repubblica, 06 Dec 2016. https://www.repubblica.it/sport/calcio/2016/12/06/news/max_mauro_l_italia_e_in_ritardo_sull_integrazione_-153574288/
- Thinking Allowed, Research on youth sport, migration and belonging, Taylor, L, 18 Apr 2016. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b076mmlc