- 01202 962172
- powella at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Clinical Research Coordinator
- Bournemouth Gateway Building BG117, St Pauls Lane, Bournemouth, BH8 8GP
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am the Clinical Research Coordinator within the Bournemouth University Clinical Research Unit. The main purpose of my role is to create a seamless link between academics at BU and clinicians in the NHS (and sometimes individuals or businesses in the private sector), to enable high quality, pragmatic, inter-professional and inter-disciplinary health research to take place. I help to build research teams, and support them to develop project plans and construct bids for funding.
I have a background in both Psychology and Sports Science, and have previously worked for Dorset HealthCare NHS Foundation Trust, Borough of Poole, AFC Bournemouth and Nuffield Health. I settled in academia during my previous role as a Research Associate at Kingston University and St George’s University of London, and joined Bournemouth University in January 2017.
Part of my time is also spent conducting my own personal research. Furthermore, I contribute to teaching activities across units in both the Faculty of Health and Social Sciences, and the Faculty of Science and Technology.
In April 2018, I was awarded my first research grant, by Active Dorset (via Sport England funding), to perform an exploratory evaluation of a novel physical activity pathway designed to help reduce the number of inactive older adults in Dorset. The project began in November 2018, and was completed in December 2021.
- Powell, A.J. and Thomas, S., 2023. Reverse Coding of a Common-Sense Physical Activity Intervention for Older Adults Using Elements of the Behaviour Change Wheel Framework. Health Promotion Practice, 24 (1), 121-132.
- Powell, A. and Nyman, S., 2022. An Exploration of System Factors Influencing Older Adults’ Initial Engagement with Physical Activity Interventions. Open Public Health Journal.
- Powell, A. and Coward, C., 2022. Attempting to Close the Evidence-Practice Gap in Physical Activity Intervention Research: Strategies and Outcomes of a Co-Creative Qualitative Study. The Qualitative Report, 27 (7), 1415-1425.
- Powell, A.J., 2021. Therapeutic alliance and its potential application to physical activity interventions for older adults: A narrative review. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity.
- Powell, A.J. and Thomas, S., 2021. How the LiveWell Dorset lifestyle behaviour change service influences older adults’ physical activity behaviour: A generic qualitative study. Public Health in Practice, 2.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Contribute to: L7 Psychological Therapy (MSc Foundations of Clinical Psychology)
- Contribute to: L7 Research Methods for Health and Social Care (MSc Digital Health)
- Supervisor: L7 Dissertation (MSc Public Health)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Contribute to: L4 Skills for Therapy Practice (BSc Psychology with Counselling)
- Contribute to: L5 Advances in Sport and Exercise Psychology (BSc Sport and Exercise Science)
- Contribute to: L6 Health Psychology (BSc Psychology)
- The Active Ageing Pathway Evaluation (Sport England, 01 Nov 2018). Completed
- MSc in Sports Science (University of Portsmouth, 2013)
- PGCert in Psychological Therapies (University of Exeter, 2010)
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology (University of Bath, 2008)