Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Saffron Scott has extensive experience as an H.C.P.C registered occupational therapist in physical and mental health care provision in the NHS, social services, the armed services and the charity sector both as a clinician and service manager. She has also worked as a civil service health care planner.
In 2004 she joined the lecturing team at the University of Southampton taking on the programme lead role for the occupational therapy programme and the assessment lead role for the occupational therapy and physiotherapy programmes. Saffron completed her Doctorate in Education in 2012 in the area of bereavement by suicide.
Saffron joined Bournemouth University in 2013 combining her education role with clinical work in the acute physical health sector. Saffron has held the roles of programme lead and admissions lead whilst in post.
Saffron has a particular interest in qualitative research methodology and in particular auto/biographical methods. Since completing her Doctorate Saffron has developed research interests in areas such as the impact on health and wellbeing of bereavement, illness and disability.
- Scott, S., 2012. Piecing together the fragments of a silenced life: unravelling death by suicide - a biographical study. Auto/biography Yearbook, 113-128.
- Grisbrooke, J. and Scott, S., 2009. Moving into housing: experiences of developing specialist occupational therapy posts in local authority housing departments. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 72 (1), 29-36.
- Scott, S., 2019. Every burn has a story- Residential camps for burn injured children: Reflections on the power of "We". In: British Sociological Association Auto/Biography summer conference, 18-20 July 2019 Oxford University.
- Jones, J., Scott, S. and Gibbins, A., 2018. PEER ASSISTED LEARNING TO SUPPORT STUDENT ROLE TRANSITION IN OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY EDUCATION. BRITISH JOURNAL OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, 81, 60.
- Scott, S., 2018. Family stories of violent death– An exploration of generational memory making. In: British Sociological Association Auto/Biography summer conference 19-21 July 2018 Oxford University.
- Scott, S., 2017. Exploring biographies of women in academia through the lens of Bildung. In: British Sociological Association Auto/biography Summer Conference 19-21 July 2017 Dartington Hall, Devon.
- Scott, S., Taylor, M.C., Grant, M., Chapman, N. and Cooke, B., 2016. Warts and all: Back stage stories of an academic life. In: British Sociological Association Auto/ Biography Silver Jubilee Summer Conference 15-17 July 2016 Wolfson College Oxford.
- Scott, S., 2015. The lived experience of multiple limb loss following meningococcal septicaemia. BRITISH JOURNAL OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, 78, 112.
- Scott, 2014. Waking up in a different place: The experiences of individuals with multiple limb loss following meningococcal septicaemia. In: British Sociological Association Auto/Biography Study Group Annual Conference. 11-13 July 2014 University of Oxford.
- Scott, 2014. Suicide and social death: Redressing the balance using an online memorial. In: Centre for Death and Society Conference - Social Death 7-8 June 2014 University of Bath.
- Scott, 2013. “A labour of love”: Excavating and bearing witness to traumatic memories online. In: British Sociological Association Auto/Biography Study Group Annual Conference. 10-13 July 2013 University of Barcelona, Spain 1.
- Scott, 2012. Piecing together the fragments of a silenced life; unravelling death by suicide. In: British Sociological Association Auto/Biography Study Group Christmas Conference 14 December 2012 British Library, United Kingdom.
- Scott, 2010. The legacy of suicide; Picking up the pieces on the internet. In: British Sociological Association Auto/Biography Study Group Annual Conference. 8-10 July 2010 University of Leicester, United Kingdom.
Profile of Teaching UG
- I teach accross the BSc Occupational Therapy programme. I lead the Analysing Occupation unit; co -lead the Portfolio 2 unit and contribute to Clinical Reasoning for Therapy Practice, Integrating Knowledge, Research and Practice, OT in Action and Mandatory/skills training.
- Royal College of Occupational Therapy, Co-Opted member for the South West Regional group (2019-)
- Steering group member, Occupational Science Europe Conference. https://occupationalscienceeurope.wordpress.com/
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- National Children’s Burns camp volunteer since 2013.
- PGCE in Post graduate certificate in programme leadership (Bournemouth University, 2018)
- PhD in Education (University of Southampton, 2012)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (University of Southampton, 2006)
- BSc (Hons) in Occupational Therapy (Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh, 2000)
- Diploma in Occupational Therapy in Occupational Therapy (St Loye’s School of Occupational Therapy, 1989)
- Higher Education Academy, Senior Fellow (2018-),
- British Association of Occupational Therapists, Member,
- Health and Care Professions Council, Member,