Dr Samuel Walker
- 01202 965665
- swalker at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Law
- Weymouth House W404, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Samuel Walker was appointed Lecturer in Law at Bournemouth University in 2017, after completing his PhD at the University of Manchester, and became a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy in 2018.
Sam’s research interests focus on the legal regulation of the body and embodiment within the wider social context. This covers a wide range of circumstances from body modification, technology and the body, transgender identity, sexual autonomy and information about the body.
Sam’s current research looks at producing a holistic view of embodiment across as various strands of regulation with a focus on how normative values produce particular forms of legal regulation.
Sam is happy to supervise postgraduate research students in the areas of medical and health care law, legal theory and areas about and related to the body (e.g. body modification, transgender identity, LGBT+ embodiment).
- Walker, S., 2019. R v BM: Errors in the Judicial Interpretation of Body Modification. Journal of Criminal Law, 83 (4), XX.
- Walker, S., 2016. The Non-Identity Problem and the Ethics of Future People. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF LAW IN CONTEXT, 12 (1), 98-101.
- Walker, S., 2016. Cuts and Criminality. Body Alteration in Legal Discourse. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF HEALTH LAW, 23 (3), 319-324.
- Walker, S., 2014. Potential persons and the welfare of the (potential) child test. Medical Law International, 14 (3), 157-171.
- Walker, S.E.P., 2014. Applying the actual/potential person distinction to reproductive torts. Medical Law International, 14 (1), 3-21.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Law of Obligations 2 - This unit teaches the law of torts (civil wrongs) such a negligence, torts against the person and Occupiers' Liability. This unit also includes a skills based assessment which integrates skills learning with substantive content.
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Junior Lawyers Division Engagement Event (22 Oct 2019)
- The Mysterious Mrs. Christie: Evidence, Elusion, Afterlives, Social harmony, Capital Punishment and Foucaldian Power in Agatha Christie's Hallowe'en Party, 12 Sep 2023, Exter University
- Bodies and Embodiment: The Fifth Annual Conference of the Centre for the Study of Global Ethics, Realising A Post-Normative Legal System for a Postmodern Era., 30 May 2019, University of Birmingham
- UK IVR Annual Conference: Law, Rationality and the Market, Economic and Legal Rationality, 17 Nov 2017, University of Sheffield
- PGCE in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2018)
- PhD in Bioethics and Medical Jurisprudence (University of Manchester, 2016)
- LLM in Public Law (University of Auckland, 2010)
- LLB (Hons) in Law (University of Aberystwyth, 2008)