Dr Tuan Vu
- 01202 962096
- tvu at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Accounting and Finance
- Executive Business Centre EB401, Bournemouth University, 89 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth, BH8 8EB
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr. Tuan Vu has joined Bournemouth University (Accounting, Finance and Economic Department) as a Senior Lecturer in Accounting and Finance. Prior that he had worked at the University of Exeter on various Accounting and Finance modules.
Dr. Tuan is also a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Chartered Holder. CFA charterholders apply their knowledge and skills in a wide range of positions throughout the global finance industry. Distinguished by their commitment to set a higher standard of excellence, they are sought after as investment management professionals.
Dr Tuan Vu is Senior Fellow of HEA
He is currently teaching and leading the following subjects: Introduction to Accounting; Financial Reporting; Asset Valuation; Corporate Reporting; Corporate Finance; Corporate Social Responsibility & Environmental Reporting; Sustainable Regional Development;
His current research interests include (1) Accounting information and stock markets (including value relevance and decision usefulness); (2) Financial reporting of corporate pension schemes and (3) Pension Scheme and Corporate Governance.
Designing Innovative Pedagogy for Complex Accountancy Topics (DIPCAT), was funded by ERASMUS+, and completed in 2021. Phyllis was the Principal Investigator, working in collaboration with eleven other European universities. Four distinct but integrated sets of case studies have been developed comprising original content, learning materials, activities and two databases. The topics of the cases address areas of global and immediate concerns in international taxation, corporate governance and tax avoidance, financial reporting for financial instruments (IFRS 9) and auditing in the digital era. Thirty-nine academics from twelve European HE Institutions collaborated on this project. The project-partners have a long history of working together and with other professionals in the development of teaching materials, intensive study programmes, student and staff exchanges, research and other knowledge exchanges. The combined subject expertise, professional experiences, global networks and academic resources of the partnership far exceeds the sum of individual contributions. The partners consulted with accounting and tax experts during the design and development phases of the case studies. The experts were from the Big Four, MNEs and the Professional and Statutory and Regulatory Bodies (e.g. ICAEW, ACCA, CIMA and CIOT) in the respective countries. Such consultation has ensured the professional relevance and practical application of the learning materials. More about the project may be found at: www.bournemouth.ac.uk/dipcat.
Smart Teaching in Accounting and Meeting Place -online (STAMP-online), is the current AFECA project funded by ERASMUS+. Accountancy in the digital era necessitates innovative and transformative education, research and practice. Research recognises the risks to the accounting profession, and suggestions are that technological knowledge be integrated in the curricula and adapted to changing needs. Therefore, the aim of the current project is to create an international online environment in the digital era to re-engineer/ replace the knowledge as well as key competencies and skills that will be acquired by students and teachers to be directly useful to the international financial-accounting labor market. In order to achieve the aim, two specific objectives are outlined: SO1. To redesign the relationship between scientific and practical environment by innovative activities in comprehensive research in the scope of useful application in the teaching- learning- practical environment. SO2. Restructure or replace knowledge and key competencies and skills that will be acquired by exploiting disruptive information technology in order to test and implement a custom platform that will help to support students and teachers and to promote and reward excellence in teaching and skills development. The project is in its final year, with a third Intensive Study Programme scheduled for July 2023 in Innsbruck.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
"End poverty in all its forms everywhere"
Affordable and clean energy
"Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all"
Decent work and economic growth
"Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all"
- Vu, T., 2016. Economic Consequence of Pension Accounting: Evidence from the adoption of IAS19R on Pension Asset Allocation. In: XII International Accounting Research Symposium 27 June-1 July 2016 Madrid.
- Vu, T., 2017. Essays on the Economic Consequences of International Pension Accounting Standard IAS19. PhD Thesis. University of Exeter.
- Hang Nguyen, 2023. Investigating The Moderating Effects Of Corporate Governance On The Relationship Between Financial Leverage And Firm Performance In Emerging Economies – A Case Study Of Vietnamese Listed Companies (MRes), (Completed)
- Abu Nasar Md. Anowarul Islam, 2025. Carbon Emission Disclosure and Firms' performance: evidences from around the world, (In progress)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Financial Analysis and Fund Management
- Advanced Accounting Theory and Practice
- Research Project
- Company Study
- Corporate Reporting & Financial Management
Profile of Teaching UG
- Introduction to Accounting
- Professional Studies and Quantitative Techniques
- Corporate Reporting
- Financial Reporting
- Audit and Control
- Financial Regulation
- Accounting and Quantitative Analysis
- Asset Valuation
- Developing a multi-media SDG13-Climate Action module to support a cross-university Community of Practice and capacity building in Education for Sustainable Development (British Council, 01 Dec 2022). Awarded
- Smart Teaching in Accounting – Meeting Place Online (ERAMUS+, 01 Oct 2021). Awarded
- Designing Innovative Pedagogy for Complex Accountancy Topics (ERAMUS+, 01 Sep 2018). Awarded
- Economic Consequence of Pension Accounting: Evidence from the adoption of IAS19R on Pension Asset Allocation’ (Fundación Ramón Areces, 27 Jun 2016). Completed
- Essays on the Economic Consequences of International Pension Accounting Standard IAS19 (University of Exeter, 03 Sep 2013). Completed
- Programme Leader in Accounting, Accounting Finance and Economic
- 2nd SWUFE-UoE Joint Research Workshop, 26 Apr 2017, University of Exeter
- EAA TALENT WORKSHOP 2016, 04 Nov 2016, IE Business School
- XII International Accounting Research Symposium, 27 Jun 2016, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
- EIASM’s Doctoral Education Network; Doctoral Seminar on Empirical Financial Accounting Research; Vienna, 13 Oct 2014
- Economics Network GTA workshop; University of Exeter, 24 Sep 2014
- GW4 Doctoral Training “Empirical Research Methods in Accounting and Finance Using STATA”; University of Bath, 22 Aug 2014
- SWDTC advanced Workshops for Research Students: Instrumental Variables Estimation of Cross Section and Panel Data Models; University of Bristol, 16 May 2014
- PhD in Accounting (University of Exeter, 2017)
- MSc in Accounting and Finance (University of Exeter, 2012)
- BA (Hons) in Accounting and Finance (University of Exeter, 2011)
- QR fund for ECR (Bournemouth University, 2017)
- CFA Program Access Scholarships for level 3 CFA examination (CFA Institution, 2013)
- Advance HE, Senior Fellow (2022-), https://www.advance-he.ac.uk/about-us
- CFA Institution, Member (2021-), http://basno.com/1n8x0m7z
- CFA Institution, Member (2021-), https://www.cfainstitute.org/
- CFA Society of the UK, Member (2021-), https://www.cfauk.org/#gsc.tab=0