Dr Chindu Sreedharan
- 01202 965630
- csreedharan at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic in Journalism & Communication
- Weymouth House W335, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Chindu Sreedharan is a former journalist, with a keen interest in war reporting, social media, and narrative journalism.
He has a PhD in journalism -- specifically, on the reportage of the Kashmir crisis. His primary area of research is conflict reporting and peace journalism. Other interests include digital storytelling (Twitter fiction, mobile news), social media, and narrative journalism/longform, and Chindu invites research proposals in these areas.
Chindu is the Programme Leader for the newly launched MA Media & Communication. He teaches news and feature writing on the BA Communication & Media degree, and Investigative Journalism and Digital Magazines on MA Multimedia Journalism.
He also supervises PhD students researching conflict journalism/digital storytelling.
Chindu worked as a journalist in New Delhi, Mumbai and New York from 1993 to 2003 (Sunday Observer, Rediff.com, India Abroad, India in New York)... He has reported on the Kashmir conflict, the Kargil war, and the Maoist People's War guerrilla movement in central India. As a news manager, his responsibilities included overseeing the converged coverage of crisis situations -- among them, the 2000 Indian Airlines hijacking, 2001 terror attack on Indian Parliament, 2002 Gujarat Riots, and 2003 Columbia space shuttle mishap.
Chindu is the author of Epic Retold, an experimental novel on Twitter (forthcoming from Harper Collins). He blogs at Indian in England (www.chindu.net), tweets @chindu and @epicretold. You can also reach him via Notes from all over (chindusree.tumblr.com) on Tumblr.more
- Sreedharan, C., 2013. Supervision in the ‘Hackademy’: Reflections on the research journey of journalism practitioners. Journalism Education.
- Pallikadavath, S., Sreedharan, C. and Stones, R.W., 2006. Sources of AIDS awareness among women in India. AIDS Care, 18, 44-48.
- Thorsen, E. and Sreedharan, C., 2015. India Election 2014: First Reflection. Poole: Centre for the Study of Journalism, Culture & Community.
- Sreedharan, C., 2014. Epic Retold. Harper Collins India.
- Allan, S. and Sreedharan, C., 2017. Visualising War: Photojournalism Under Fire. In: Robinson, P., Seib, P. and Frohlich, R., eds. Routledge Handbook of Media, Conflict and Security. Routledge, 93-105.
- Sreedharan, C. and Thorsen, E., 2015. Marginalised voices and the Modification of the Indian media. India Election 2014: First Reflections. Bournemouth: Centre for the Study of Journalism, Culture and Community, Bournemouth University, 7-13.
- Sreedharan, C., 2013. War and Peace Journalism. In: Fowler-Watt, K. and Allan, S., eds. Journalism: New Challengeså. Centre for Journalism & Communication Research.
- Thorsen, E., Sreedharan, C. and Allan, S., 2013. WikiLeaks and Whistleblowing: The Framing of Bradley Manning. In: Brevini, B., Hintz, A. and McCurdy, P., eds. eyond WikiLeaks: Implications for the Future of Communications, Journalism and Society. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Sreedharan, C., Thorsen, E. and Allan, S., 2012. WikiLeaks and the changing forms of information politics in the ‘network society’. In: Downey, E. and Jones, M.A., eds. Public Service, and Web 2.0 Technologies: Future Trends in Social Media. IGI Global.
- O'Sullivan, H., Bolat, E. and sreedharan, C., 2016. Listening to students' conversations and stories - how, what and where? In: Contemporary Thought in HE Marketing. The Academy of Marketing. 27 April 2016 Bournemouth Univeristy.
- Bolat, E., O'Sullivan, H. and Sreedharan, C., 2016. Radicalising the Marketing of Higher Education: Learning from students - generated social media data. In: Academy of Marketing 4-7 July 2016 Newcastle, UK.
- Bolat, E., O'Sullivan, H. and Sreedharan, C., 2016. Listening to students' conversations and stories - how, what and where? In: Contemporary Thought in HE Marketing Colloquium. 27 April 2016 Bournemouth, UK.
- Sreedharan, C. and Price, L., 2015. The HONY Model: Extending The Journalism Classroom Using Social Media. In: 2016 Social Media for Learning in Higher Education Conference 16 December 2015 Sheffield.
- Sreedharan, C., 2015. Nepal earthquake: social media for crisis reporting. In: Crisis Journalsim workshop delivered at the Symbiosis School of Liberal Arts 1 September 2015 Pune.
- Sreedharan, C., 2015. Aftershock Nepal: Reporting A Crisis. In: Crisis journalism workshop delivered at Kathmandu University 6 August 2015 Kathmandu.
- Sreedharan, C., 2015. Twitter for Other Purposes: the rise of Twitterfiction and the story of Epic Retold. In: Media and Society Seminar Series 25 March 2015 University of Madras, Chennai.
- Sreedharan, C., 2015. After Snowfall: Immersive Journalism After 2012. In: Solvent Research Visitors Series 18 March 2015 Southampton.
- Sreedharan, C., 2014. Social Media for journalists. In: Nepal Press Institute 28-29 April 2014 Kathmandu.
- Sreedharan, C., 2014. Peace Journalism: an alternate way to report wars. In: Media and Society Seminar Series 28 March-28 October 2014 University of Madras, Chennai, India.
- Thorsen, E., Sreedharan, C. and Allan, S., 2013. WikiLeaks and Whistleblowing: The Framing of Bradley Manning. In: International Communication Association Annual Conference 17-21 June 2013 London.
- Thorsen, E., Sreedharan, C. and Allan, S., 2011. The media politics of WikiLeaks: public service or enemy of state? In: The Media Studies Conference 6-8 July 2011 BFI, London.
- Thorsen, E., Sreedharan, C. and Allan, S., 2011. WikiLeaks: public service or enemy of state? In: Annual MeCCSA Conference 2011 12-14 January 2011 University of Salford, England..
- Thorsen, E., Sreedharan, C. and Allan, S., 2011. Journalism, transparency and accountability: WikiLeaks and the war in Iraq. In: The Future of Journalism Conference 8-9 September 2011 Cardiff University.
- Thorsen, E., Sreedharan, C., Allan, S. and Andén-Papadopoulos, K., 2011. Truth and transparency: the media politics of Wikileaks. In: International Association for Media and Communications Research World Congress 13-17 July 2011 Istanbul, Turkey.
- Watson, T. and Sreedharan, C., 2010. The Senior Communicator of the Future – Competencies and Training Needs. In: 13th International Public Relations Research Conference: "Ethical Issues for Public Relations Practice in a Multicultural World" 10-14 March 2010 University of Miami, FL, USA. Gainesville, FL, USA: Institute for Public Relations.
- Sreedharan, C., 2016. 6 Hours in Smuggler's Cove. Stellerverse.
- Sreedharan, C., 2016. Dorset Diary. Outlook. Available from: http://www.outlookindia.com/magazine/story/dorset-diary/297306.
- Sreedharan, C., 2016. The Wars of Thomas Hardy. The Hindu. Available from: http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/the-wars-of-thomas-hardy/article8718558.ece.
- Sreedharan, C., 2016. An Indian's Journey Into The English Psyche. Huffington Post India. Available from: http://www.huffingtonpost.in/dr-chindu-sreedharan/an-indians-feet-first-journey-into-the-english-psyche-part-1/.
- Sreedharan, C., 2016. The Hopeful Heart Of George Loveless. Huffington Post India. Available from: http://www.huffingtonpost.in/dr-chindu-sreedharan/the-hopeful-heart-of-george-loveless/.
- Sreedharan, C., 2016. The Death Of A Father. Huffington Post India. Available from: http://www.huffingtonpost.in/dr-chindu-sreedharan/the-death-of-a-father/.
- Sreedharan, C., 2016. How Real Men Celebrate Christmas. Huffington Post India. Available from: http://www.huffingtonpost.in/dr-chindu-sreedharan/how-real-men-celebrate-the-year-end-from-pala-to-bournemouth/.
- Sreedharan, C., 2015. Book Excerpt: Mahabharata: An Epic Retold. Huffington Post India. Available from: http://www.huffingtonpost.in/dr-chindu-sreedharan/book-excerpt-mahabharata-an-epic-retold/.
- Sreedharan, C., 2015. How The Mahabharata Was Retold On Twitter. Huffington Post India. Available from: http://www.huffingtonpost.in/dr-chindu-sreedharan/how-the-mahabharata-was-retold-on-twitter/.
- Sreedharan, C., 2015. The Day I Met Mary. Huffington Post India. Available from: http://www.huffingtonpost.in/dr-chindu-sreedharan/the-day-i-met-mary/.
- Sreedharan, C., 2015. Why I Love Small Airports. Huffington Post India.
- Sreedharan, C., 2010. The epic centre. I T Next.
- Sreedharan, C., 2008. Harry Soldier and the Order of Pressmen. Interjunction.
- Walaa Naji Salem Bajnaid (The role of social media in enhancing women's rights in Saudi Arabia)
- Dan Hogan (Inside Story: A practitioner’s perspective of the challenges of reporting and writing longform journalism)
- Adrian Butterworth (Narratology and short-form video: an inquiry into the South Korean Digital Multimedia Broadcasts)
- Abir Alhayali (Social Media in Arab uprisings: Syria as a case study)
- Confidence Uwazuruike (Domestic Terrorism in Nigeria: News Reporting of Boko Haram)
- Khuldiya Al-Khalifa (Politics, terrorism and the news media: a case study of Saudi Arabia (completed))
- Tara Douglas (Tales of the Tribe: Animation as a tool to preserve indigenous culture in North-East India)
- Arpapat Indradat (Peace Journalism and Thailand’s southern insurgency: The case study of The Bangkok Post and The Nation)
Profile of Teaching PG
- New Media Innovation (MA Multimedia Journalism)
- Journalism in Global Contexts (MA Multimedia Journalism)
- News Theory (BA Multimedia Journalism)
- Research Methods (MA Media & Communication)
- Exhibition (MA Media & Communication)
- Dissertation (MA Media & Communication)
- Digital Magazines (MA Multimedia Journalism)
- Environment, Conflict & Crisis News (MA Multimedia Journalism)
- Investigative Journalism (MA Multimedia Journalism)
Profile of Teaching UG
- News Theory (BA Multimedia Journalism)
- News Journalism (BA Communication & Media / BA English)
- This is where I study: Social Journalism on Facebook (Bournemouth University, Fusion Investment Fund, FIF strand: Co-creation and co-production, 01 Feb 2015). Completed
- Project India (Bournemouth University, 01 Feb 2014). In Progress
- University of Bedfordshire, External Examiner, MA International Journalism (2012-)
- PGCE in Research Supervision (Bournemouth University, 2011)
- BA in Economics (Kerala University, 1992)
- PG Dip in Journalism and Mass Communication (Madras Christian College, 1993)
- PhD in Journalism (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- Best Paper in Track "HE Marketing" Award. (Academy of Marketing, 2016)
- Development Journalism Fellowship for reportage on children affected by Kashmir conflict (National Foundation for India, 2000)
- Association of Journalism Education, Member,
- Faculty Research Degree Committee, Faculty of Media and Communication, Member (2010-),
- Media and the Inner World, Member,
- Programme Leaders' Network, Bournemouth University, Member (2015-2017),
- South Asian Journalists Association, Member,
- War and Media Network, Member,