Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I was born in Kerry (Ireland) in 1980 and studied at the University of Limerick. I graduated with a bachelor of business studies in 2003, majoring in economics and finance and doing a minor in econometrics. I continued my studies at the University of Limerick, graduating with a PhD in 2007 and remaining as a post-doctorate research fellow with the university until January 2010. Since that time I have held the position of lecturer in economics at Bournemouth University.
My research interests are cross-disciplinary, encapsulating areas of economics and employee relations. More specifically, my research focuses on public-sector economics, theory of the firm, public-sector industrial relations, employee share-ownership, and employee psychology. I have published a number of papers relating to the impact of privatisation and employee share-ownership on employee attitudes and commitment in the workplace.
- Homberg, F., McCarthy, D. and Tabvuma, V., 2015. A Meta-Analysis of the Relationship between Public Service Motivation and Job Satisfaction. PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION REVIEW, 75 (5), 711-722.
- McCarthy, D., Bui, H. and Sum Chau, V., 2013. Assessing Performance Determinants of Higher Education Academics in Developed and Emerging Economies: UK vs. Vietnam. Strategic Change, 22, 371-385.
- McCarthy, D. and Palcic, D., 2012. The Impact of Large-scale Employee Share Ownership Plans on Labour Productivity: The Case of Eircom. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 23 (17), 3710-3724.
- McCarthy, D., Reeves, E. and Turner, T., 2011. Changing the Rules of the Game: The Impact of Privatization on Firm Industrial Relations. Public Management Review, 13 (6), 845-860.
- McCarthy, D., Reeves, E. and Turner, T., 2010. Can Employee Share-Ownership Improve Employee Attitudes and Behaviour? Employee Relations, 32, 382-395.
- McCarthy, D., Reeves, E. and Turner, T., 2010. The impact of Privatisation and Employee Share-Ownership on Employee Commitment and Citizen Behaviour. Economic and Industrial Democracy: an international journal, 31, 307-326.
- McCarthy, D., Reeves, E. and Turner, T., 2009. Sweetening privatisation with employee share-ownership: Good for unions and management? International Journal of Human Resource Management.
- Tabvuma, V., Homberg, F. and McCarthy, D., 2014. National determinants of Public Service Motivation. In: International Research Society for Public Management Conference 9-14 April 2014 Carleton University, Ottowa, Canada.
- McCarthy, D., Homberg, F., Wei, P. and Tabvuma, V., 2014. Comparing Public Service Motiviation in the Case of the Chinese Public and Private Sector. In: American Society for Public Administration 14-18 March 2013 Washington DC, USA.
- Homberg, F., Tabvuma, V. and McCarthy, D., 2013. Public Service Motivation: A meta-analytic investigation. In: International Research Society for Public Management Conference 9-12 April 2013 Prague, Czech Republic.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Business and Financial Economics
- Contemporary Economic Issues
- International Study on Public Sector Motivation (National Natural Science Foundation of China, 01 Jan 2013). Awarded
- Investigating Public Service Motivation Across Europe (BU Fusion Fund, 20 Mar 2012). Completed
- Investigating Public Service Motivation Across Europe (British Academy, 01 Sep 2011). Completed
- Role of Employee Share Ownership in Privatisation: The Case of Aer Lingus (Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences, 01 Sep 2008). Completed
- Privatisation and Employee Share Ownerhips: The Case of Eircom (Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences, 20 Oct 2005). Completed
- PhD in Economics (University of Limerick, 2008)
- P4 Research Group, Associate,