Dr Rebecca Jenkins
- 01202 965202
- rjenkins at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic in Marketing Communications
- Weymouth House W432, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
After reading a handful of papers about the imagination in consumer research Becky was fascinated with the notion of consumption in the imagination and conducted a study based on consumer desire for her Masters dissertation in 2005. After a couple of years working in the marketing industry, in 2007 Becky returned to academia, and embarked on her PhD in Consumer Culture, specifically Consumption in the Everyday Imagination.
Becky was appointed as a Lecturer in the Corporate and Marketing Communications department of Bournemouth Media School in 2010 and became a Senior Lecturer in 2014. She teaches Consumer Culture and Behaviour, Consumer Cultures and Societies and Academic and Professional Research.
Becky is part of the Emerging Consumer Cultures Research Group (ECCG), a group dedicated to researching issues that may be considered to be 'at the fringes' of marketing thought.
My current research focuses on three key areas; 1) consumption in the imagination, and specifically the relationship between imagination and materialty, which has recently extended to explore issues of digital devices as consumer mind extensions; consumer hybrids and active externalism 2) Access based consumption 3) Health veganism and sustainability
With regard to the imagination research, my PhD research has broadened to explore the notion of extended mind, including extended imagination, via the use of digital technologies, particularly in the context of meal preparation and consumption, which we have termed 'the digital dimension of the meal' but also in relation to other contexts and to consumption practices more generally.
In relation to access based consumption I am studying the experience of 'owners' in access, specifically in the context of Airbnb hosts. A new area of interest is veganism, specifically health veganism. I am currently looking at the representation of health vegans in the media and exploring motivations and practices involved in shifting to a vegan diet.
- Molesworth, M., Grigore, G. and Jenkins, R., 2018. Games people play with brands: An application of Transactional Analysis to marketplace relationships. Marketing Theory.
- Reading, A. and Jenkins, R., 2015. Transportation to a world of fantasy: Consumer experiences of fictional brands becoming real. Journal of Promotional Communication, 3 (1).
- Jenkins, R., Molesworth, M.R. and Scullion, R., 2014. The messy social lives of goods: Inter-personal borrowing and the ambiguity of possession and ownership. Journal of Consumer Behaviour.
- Jenkins, R., Elizabeth, N. and Mike, M., 2011. ‘Just normal and homely’: the presence, absence and othering of consumer culture in everyday imagining. Journal of Consumer Culture, 11, 261-281.
- Denegri-Knott, J. and Jenkins, R., 2016. The digital virtual dimension of the meal. The Practice of the Meal: Food, Families and the Market Place. 107-122.
- Molesworth, M., Jenkins, R. and Eccles, S., 2011. Love and Videogames: Negotiating Relationships with Cultural Ideals and Consumer Practices. In: Belk, R., Grayson, K., Muniz, A. and Schau, H., eds. Research in Consumer Behavior. Emerald Group Publishing Ltd.
- Haywood, H., Jenkins, R. and Molesworth, M., 2010. A degree will make all your dreams come true: higher education as the management of consumer desires. In: Molesworth, M., Scullion, R. and Nixon, E., eds. The Marketisation of Higher Education: The Student as Consumer. Abingdon, England: Routledge, 183-195.
- Theofilou, A., Jackson, D. and Jenkins, R., 2014. Calculated indifference: Stakeholder perceptions of CSR in Higher Education. In: Annual ISCR Conference 8-10 October 2014 Barcelona.
- Jenkins, R. and Molesworth, M.R., 2013. Conceptualising the Imagination in Consumption Practices. In: Consumer Culture Theory 13 June-16 July 2013 Arizona, USA..
- Jenkins, R., Denegri-Knott, J., Molesworth, M.R. and Scullion, R., 2013. Mapping Out Lending as Non-Market Mediated Access Based Consumption. In: Interpretive Consumer Research Workshop 10-13 April 2013 Belgium.
- Jenkins, R. and Molesworth, M.R., 2011. The consumer imagination: theorising autonomy in imaginative practices. In: Interpretive Consumer Research Workshop 6-7 May 2011 Odense, Denmark.
- Jenkins, R., Molesworth, M.R. and Eccles, S., 2010. Alternative Hedonism, Digital Virtual Consumption and Structure of the Imagination. In: American Marketing Association 19-22 February 2010 New Orleans, USA.
- Jenkins, R., Molesworth, M. and Eccles, S., 2010. Alternative hedonism, digital virtual consumption and structures of the imagination. In: American Marketing Academy February 2010 New Orleans, USA.
- Jenkins, R., Nixon, E. and Molesworth, M., 2010. 'Just normal and homely': Positive future daydreams as everyday escape attempts from consumption scripts. In: Consumer Culture Theory Conference 2010 10-13 June 2010 Wisconsin School of Business, University of Wisconsin, USA.
- BA (Hons) in Linguistics (2004)
- MA in Marketing Communications (2005)
- PhD in Consumer Culture (Bournemouth University, 2011)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2014-),