Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am a documentary filmmaker and Senior Lecturer in the Faculty of Media and Communication where I teach on MA Directing Film and Television and BA (Hons) Television Production.
My main research interest is in documentary film and in my doctoral research I used participatory film to research the everyday lives of women living in rural India. Outputs from this research include two journal articles on participatory film and visual studies and my film Village Tales won the 2016 AHRC Research in Film Award for Innovation with the jury stating that ‘this project is a brilliant example of the edifying power of research through film’.
I am now leading Faculty initiatives to define and expand practice-based research and I am supervising a number of practice-led doctorates. One of my students, Dr. Olugbenga Ajayi, recently had a successful completion with his study of screenwriting practices in Nigerian cinema. I welcome enquiries from people interested in undertaking practice-led PhD research at Bournemouth...
I have been the BA (Hons) Television Production Level Co-ordinator for twelve years, instrumental in course design and delivery, and I played a key role in building Bournemouth University’s reputation for being one of the most important centres for television and film education, nationally and internationally. In taking on the Global Engagement Lead role for our Department, I have been instrumental in forging partnerships with international universities in India, China and America.
As a documentary producer/director many of the series and singles I have produced and directed for the BBC, Channel 4 and ITV have won awards from the Royal Television Society, the Prix de Basle and the New York International Film and TV Festival. I sit on the Advisory Committee of the Sheffield International Documentary Festival and am currently working with Spring Films on a feature documentary about the Indian space programme.more
- Sudbury, S., 2017. Visualising the everyday: participatory filmmaking in rural India. Visual Studies.
- Sudbury, S., 2016. Locating a ‘third voice’: participatory filmmaking and the everyday in rural India1. Journal of Media Practice, 17 (2-3), 213-231.
- Sudbury, S., 2017. Glocalizing the 'other': British factual television and documentary practices in global media cultures. In: Srinivas, M., ed. Glocalization: Media Beyond Borders.. Mumbai: ITP.
- Sudbury, S., 2017. Glocalizing the 'other': British factual television and documentary practices in global media cultures. Keynote. In: Media summit 2017 17-18 February 2017 KC College, Mumbai.
- Sudbury, S., 2016. Facilitating empathy through participatory filmmaking. In: Migration crises: engaging audiences, facilitating empathy in Media for Change Virtual Conference 17-18 November 2016 Bournemouth University.
- Sudbury, S., 2014. Non-fiction: Outer and Inner Spaces. In: Cosmographies: Textual and Visual Cultures of Outer Space 2-6 July 2014 University of Falmouth.
- Sudbury, S., 2013. Pionnieres, Heroines, Super-heroines: Essentielles a nos Constructions et a nos Vies! In: Cineffable 25th International Festival of Feminist and Lesbian Films 2-3 November 2013 Paris, France.
- Sudbury, S., 2013. Village Reporters: participatory filmmaking in Andhra Pradesh. In: Society for Visual Anthropologists Film Festival 4-9 April 2013 Temple University, USA.
- Sudbury, S., 2009. Ksusha's Story. In: Porn Cultures: Regulation, Political Economy and Technology 15-16 June 2009 University of Leeds.
- Sudbury, S., 2009. Women Filmmakers in Andhra Pradesh. In: 1st International Visual Research Conference 15-17 September 2009 University of Leeds, UK.
- Sudbury, S., 2015. Village Tales: an exploration of the potential of participatory documentary filmmaking in rural India. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, Faculty of Media and Communication.
- Kevin Yixing Huang (The Documentary Interview in the political and sociological context of contemporary China)
- Shemin Balachandran Nair (Developing a cinematic form to engage with the notion of Indian transcendental philosophy)
- Olugbenga Ajayi (Transcending the Oral Roots of Screenwriting Practices in Nigerian cinema)
- Participatory Film Research in Action
- Ground-breaking documentaries: techniques for gaining access, dealing with cultural difference and how to approach sensitive subjects to uncover and capture the unknown
- Women in front of and behind the camera
- Indian Spacemen (MEDIA Single Project Developement, 01 Jan 2012). Completed
- Indian Spacemen (Worldview Development Fund, 01 Sep 2010). Completed
- Women filmmakers of Andhra Pradesh (WorldView Development Fund, 10 Mar 2006). Completed
- Wilson College, Mumbai, External validation board member. (2017-)
- Regents University, External programme reviewer. (2015-)
- Media Summit 2017 - Glocalization: Media beyond borders, Glocalizing 'the other': British factual television and documentary practices in global media cultures, 20 February 2017, Mumbai, India
- BA (Hons) in Media and Communication 1st Class (Birmingham City University, 1978)
- PhD in Visual Ethnography and Participatory Filmmaking (Bournemouth University, 2015)
- Innovation in independent film award. (University of Plymouth and Creative Industries iNet, 2010)
- Research in Film Award - Innovation Category (AHRC, 2016)
- American Anthropological Association, Associate (2011-),
- Directors UK, Member,
- European Documentary Network, Associate (2007-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2004-),
- MeCCSA, Associate,
- Royal Television Society, Member (2007-),
- Sheffield International Documentary Festival, Member (2008-),