Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am a documentary filmmaker and Senior Lecturer in the Faculty of Media and Communication at Bournemouth and teach on MA Directing Film and Television and BA (Hons) Television Production. Since completing my practice-led doctorate, I have started to supervise a number of PhD students and welcome enquiries from people interested in undertaking practice-led PhD research. My personal research interests include documentary, visual ethnography, anthropology, participatory filmmaking, politics and gender issues.
- Sudbury, S., 2016. Locating a ‘third voice’: participatory filmmaking and the everyday in rural India1. Journal of Media Practice, 17 (2-3), 213-231.
- Sudbury, S., 2014. Non-fiction: Outer and Inner Spaces. In: Cosmographies: Textual and Visual Cultures of Outer Space 2-6 July 2014 University of Falmouth.
- Sudbury, S., 2013. Pionnieres, Heroines, Super-heroines: Essentielles a nos Constructions et a nos Vies! In: Cineffable 25th International Festival of Feminist and Lesbian Films 2-3 November 2013 Paris, France.
- Sudbury, S., 2013. Village Reporters: participatory filmmaking in Andhra Pradesh. In: Society for Visual Anthropologists Film Festival 4-9 April 2013 Temple University, USA.
- Sudbury, S., 2009. Ksusha's Story. In: Porn Cultures: Regulation, Political Economy and Technology 15-16 June 2009 University of Leeds.
- Sudbury, S., 2009. Women Filmmakers in Andhra Pradesh. In: 1st International Visual Research Conference 15-17 September 2009 University of Leeds, UK.
- Sudbury, S., 2015. Village Tales: an exploration of the potential of participatory documentary filmmaking in rural India. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, Faculty of Media and Communication.
- Kevin Yixing Huang (The Documentary Interview in the political and sociological context of contemporary China)
- Shemin Balachandran Nair (Developing a cinematic form to engage with the notion of Indian transcendental philosophy)
- Olugbenga Ajayi (Transcending the Oral Roots of Screenwriting Practices in Nigerian cinema)
- Participatory Film Research in Action
- Ground-breaking documentaries: techniques for gaining access, dealing with cultural difference and how to approach sensitive subjects to uncover and capture the unknown
- Women in front of and behind the camera
- Indian Spacemen (MEDIA Single Project Developement, 01 Jan 2012). Completed
- Indian Spacemen (Worldview Development Fund, 01 Sep 2010). Completed
- Women filmmakers of Andhra Pradesh (WorldView Development Fund, 10 Mar 2006). Completed
- Media Summit 2017 - Glocalization: Media beyond borders, Glocalizing 'the other': British factual television and documentary practices in global media cultures, 20 February 2017, Mumbai, India
- BA (Hons) in Media and Communication 1st Class (Birmingham City University, 1978)
- PhD in Visual Ethnography and Participatory Filmmaking (Bournemouth University, 2015)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2004-),
- Media, Communications and Cultural Studies Association, Member (2008-),